Is all new equipment created equal?

I wonder if people post on his website or channel things about THP? :D

No, I just went to Golfsmith tuesday to get fitted for a driver. I can assure you that it is not all the same.

I like THP reviews myself. I love being able to text or PM the testers as opposed to a talking head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think he's mizuno biased tho from what I've seen. He absolutely loves Callaway and in his vlogs you'll often see him swapping some Cally stuff in which is cool he doesnt discount it. I think he's dorky and annoying at times but his reviews seem unbiased and the quote being mentioned was simply him saying that there's no "bad" equipment these days. Some works some doesnt.

I dont think he's mizuno biased tho from what I've seen. He absolutely loves Callaway and in his vlogs you'll often see him swapping some Cally stuff in which is cool he doesnt discount it. I think he's dorky and annoying at times but his reviews seem unbiased and the quote being mentioned was simply him saying that there's no "bad" equipment these days. Some works some doesnt.

Which is funny because we had that same "discussion" here over a year ago?

Which is funny because we had that same "discussion" here over a year ago?
Wait what discussion haha honest question as i cant remember? About him being biased or something or just about equipment being created equal?

Wait what discussion haha honest question as i cant remember? About him being biased or something or just about equipment being created equal?

That everything made will work for someone, or something to that affect.

That everything made will work for someone, or something to that affect.
Ah gotcha. Well i do agree tho that i think all the equipment will indeed work for someone somewhere even if its few and far between......lookin at u sldr

Crossfield doesn't fall for all the OEM hype we hear. It's probably true that we could play near our best no matter the brand. It's the Indian not the arrow!

I think every major club manufacturer has certain lines that are almost identical to certain lines of other club manufacturers. Each one seems to have, for instance, Driver A (for mid-high handicap, Driver B ("tour", "low spin", etc), Iron Set A (SGI), B (GI), C ("players cavity), D (muscleback), etc.

Drivers, yes! People on here have said I'm wrong countless times but I call ********, the C.O.R is a fixed and highly regulated number for drivers. Now hybrids and fairway woods are a different story.

Drivers, yes! People on here have said I'm wrong countless times but I call ********, the C.O.R is a fixed and highly regulated number for drivers. Now hybrids and fairway woods are a different story.
Fixed COR and the fact there's a grip at the end of a handle may be the only two things most drivers have in common.

I would like to know what he actually said. If it was something along the lines of "everyone makes good gear" then I'm on board. If it's that all gear is the same then I disagree, that's almost laughable.

He basically does say that everybody makes good gear. But he repeatedly says(paraphrasing) "All these manufacturers are going by the same guidelines", and anytime there is a difference in results between clubs he either states "well this club is an inch longer so that's where the difference is coming from, or these irons are stronger lofts so that's where it's coming from, or this is more my strike than the actual technology" Basically I have never once seen him say that any particular club is better than another in terms of performance. He basically does reviews solely on looks and feel.

BTW I notice a difference between clubs when I test them. But I'm not a robot and don't swing the same every time, I'm sure some of the differences are from me not striking it the same, delivering the club differently or just not swing the same speed each time.

Last edited:
Funny this thread.

Not sure if everyone missunderstands intentionally because they hate Crossfield, cuss to me it's pretty obvious he's never saying a blade and a perimiter weightes club are creates equal.

This is a golf forum where people talk about all things golf. Heck, he's been a guest on Callaway Live. He's a pioneer in the golf industry as far as video swing tips and equipment 'reviews' go, so of course people are going to talk about him.

This is a golf forum where people talk about all things golf. Heck, he's been a guest on Callaway Live. He's a pioneer in the golf industry as far as video swing tips and equipment 'reviews' go, so of course people are going to talk about him.

I dont recall saying someone shouldnt. I merely asked a question since I assume he has a public comments section. Since so many review thread that goes up here has a link to his reviews, I wondered if the same was the case in reverse....

I always take everything Crossfield says with a grain of salt.....I think he tries to appeal to the "casual golfer" and we determined a long time ago that the average THPer is not a casual golfer.....more like a "hyper golfer"

Most of us know WAY more about equipment and shaft composition and etc than the average weekend golfer will ever know.

I use any review as a basis for whether or not it will fit the profile of what I know works for me. Then I hit it and decide if I want to make a purchase. Seeing a professional hit the club does nothing for me. Seeing Hawk put it through its paces, when I know we have similar games and generally play the same type of equipment, is worth way more to me. I am living proof that all equipment is not made equally. Watch me hit an SLDR and a Optiforce side by side.....

Funny this thread.

Not sure if everyone missunderstands intentionally because they hate Crossfield, cuss to me it's pretty obvious he's never saying a blade and a perimiter weightes club are creates equal.

Sorry I meant against direct competition. IE Blade vs. Blade, GI vs. GI etc. etc. It's obvious that different types of clubs play different. It would be like asking if all automobile cars have the same acceleration capabilities then compare a Mustang to an Escalade.

I use any review as a basis for whether or not it will fit the profile of what I know works for me. Then I hit it and decide if I want to make a purchase. Seeing a professional hit the club does nothing for me. Seeing Hawk put it through its paces, when I know we have similar games and generally play the same type of equipment, is worth way more to me. I am living proof that all equipment is not made equally. Watch me hit an SLDR and a Optiforce side by side.....

For the record I agree with you, atleast when it comes to drivers. Even though they all have the same COR tolerances I think certain ones can move the CG in the right spot so it benefits the right player. There are some players that have higher swing speeds but spin the ball too much so they need a forward CG so a club like the SLDR or BB double black diamond would suit them perfectly. BUt there are others that just need more speed out of their swings and something like the Aeroburner would help them more. Different strokes for different folks.

But when it comes to irons I have to agree with him. I think out of the major manufacturers if you went apples to apples with their irons they would be just about the same, the only difference is that some have either longer shafts or stronger lofts.

I honestly don't think equipment is created equal or even near equal. There are so many variations in design, material, specs and looks that seperates them it's not even close. The only thing remotely close are blades but even with them there are differences.

For the record I agree with you, atleast when it comes to drivers. Even though they all have the same COR tolerances I think certain ones can move the CG in the right spot so it benefits the right player. There are some players that have higher swing speeds but spin the ball too much so they need a forward CG so a club like the SLDR or BB double black diamond would suit them perfectly. BUt there are others that just need more speed out of their swings and something like the Aeroburner would help them more. Different strokes for different folks.

But when it comes to irons I have to agree with him. I think out of the major manufacturers if you went apples to apples with their irons they would be just about the same, the only difference is that some have either longer shafts or stronger lofts.
Well coming from someone that played TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB's like utter garbage and then switched to Speedblades and was able to put a better swing on the ball. Same lengths and lie angles. What's the difference? Forgiveness. Some people want what's sexier. I will take forgiveness all day every day.

Its just not the case. Design and materials play such a huge role. Take hollow body for example. There are a few designs that come to mind Cleveland MT, Big Bertha, Nike Vapor Speed. Each of these is a hollow design where the face can be thinner because they are designing them similar to that of a metal wood. Now the same category will have Wilson D200, Callaway XR, TaylorMade AeroBurner, Ping G30 and their design model is completely different.

At the end of the day the whole category is designed to get the ball in the air by moving weight way back, but they all deliver it in a completely different package. Ball speed retention away from the center is so varied on each of these, and while I know here on the internet, people dont miss the sweet spot much, in real life myself and others do. The hollow body designs offer so much retention laterally and yet the D200s offer more low and the G30s offer more high.

Another example is sole design, size, shape, etc. Take the Callaway Apex and Srixon 545. Both similar offerings, great irons and their sole designs are 100% different. They go the same distance, yet feel and sound completely different and perform very different for varied players.

This is something that gets tossed around a lot and I am not here to change anybody's mind. But based on what is out there, it's just not accurate. To give you an example, if you go back and read posts from 2008 and 2009, you will hear the exact same thing. Now take a larger club headed iron used for forgiveness and compare it to one of the hollow body irons from today...Its night and day. The same will be said a few years from now and so on and so on.

Its just not the case. Design and materials play such a huge role. Take hollow body for example. There are a few designs that come to mind Cleveland MT, Big Bertha, Nike Vapor Speed. Each of these is a hollow design where the face can be thinner because they are designing them similar to that of a metal wood. Now the same category will have Wilson D200, Callaway XR, TaylorMade AeroBurner, Ping G30 and their design model is completely different.

At the end of the day the whole category is designed to get the ball in the air by moving weight way back, but they all deliver it in a completely different package. Ball speed retention away from the center is so varied on each of these, and while I know here on the internet, people dont miss the sweet spot much, in real life myself and others do. The hollow body designs offer so much retention laterally and yet the D200s offer more low and the G30s offer more high.

Another example is sole design, size, shape, etc. Take the Callaway Apex and Srixon 545. Both similar offerings, great irons and their sole designs are 100% different. They go the same distance, yet feel and sound completely different and perform very different for varied players.

This is something that gets tossed around a lot and I am not here to change anybody's mind. But based on what is out there, it's just not accurate. To give you an example, if you go back and read posts from 2008 and 2009, you will hear the exact same thing. Now take a larger club headed iron used for forgiveness and compare it to one of the hollow body irons from today...Its night and day. The same will be said a few years from now and so on and so on.

l

Good post. I'm very open minded on this, and I wasn't trying to say one answer was right. Trust me I always was on the side that equipment mattered, but after seeing his explanations I started having second thoughts.

Back