Is Batman a Superhero?

He is absolutely a superhero! Hands down!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have been listening to Mike & Mike on ESPN debate this for years and I have always agreed with Golic. Batman is NOT a superhero. He is my favorite hero of the bunch but he cannot be a superhero because he does not have a super power. Being rich, tough, talking cool and having a sweet car does not make you a super hero.

He is an armored, weaponized, ninja with a bottomless well of money to take advantage of technology. No superpowers but a superhero. Nurses, teachers, firemen: heroes. Someone who can take a batarang from a utility belt and hit you with it while swooping down off a building while wearing a costume: superhero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I classify him as a crime fighter and not a superhero

He's a superhero if you consider mega rich dudes playing dress up, beating up folks, and causing millions of dollars in property damage as heroes. That being said, I enjoyed the comics when I collected them. Besides Spider-Man and Wolverine, he was my favorite.

I have been listening to Mike & Mike on ESPN debate this for years and I have always agreed with Golic. Batman is NOT a superhero. He is my favorite hero of the bunch but he cannot be a superhero because he does not have a super power. Being rich, tough, talking cool and having a sweet car does not make you a super hero.

You mean Vin Disel isn't a super hero? Lol

He has been a super hero since the beginning. Part of the justice league. Just because peeps on the internet are trying to change that doesn't make it true. Plus he has super gadget and super human strength and no fear.

He's got a lot of tech, but does he have super human strength? By definition that would make him a 'super' hero but I don't think he's anything different from a normal human (outside of his activities of course).

We are talking about comic books not real people so all of this is make believe. Ironman isn't a super hero if Batman isn't, lol

But at the same time, Ironman has an internal power source that makes him superhuman when paired appropriately. While Batman has a ton of fun gear, it's all still very human in nature.

That's like saying "Take the ring away from Green Lantern and have him perform." and then saying "See? Not a superhero."

I agree with you, but I do think that's a bad basis for an argument. That's like saying 'take the spider out of spiderman" hahaha

But at the same time, Ironman has an internal power source that makes him superhuman when paired appropriately. While Batman has a ton of fun gear, it's all still very human in nature.

But ironman's power source just powers his suped up mech suit... I vote no to super on both... spiderman is intriguing because he is kind of a hybrid... he manufactures his silk, but kind of has superstrength/premonition... so he kind of does more than superman, who just relies on his superpowers

Regardless, being super isn't always great... see aquaman

But ironman's power source just powers his suped up mech suit... I vote no to super on both... spiderman is intriguing because he is kind of a hybrid... he manufactures his silk, but kind of has superstrength/premonition... so he kind of does more than superman, who just relies on his superpowers

maxresdefault.jpg

I think this is a fun conversation, and my opinion on it is very much why I like Batman so much.

Superman is awesome, but he's basically cheating at life. Stronger than everything, faster than most everything, and he can fly. Batman, on the other hand, has to push the envelope on every single thing he does to gain a real advantage, and goes up against impossible odds to make the city he loves a better place.

"The Dark Knight"
"The Caped Crusader"

Knight and Crusader are both pretty impressive nicknames, but they both denote very human traits.

If Batman ate a bunch of bats and starts firing batarangs out of his eyeball (or somewhere else lol) I'd say they were equal, but I just don't think they are. One has a source of power, the other has a bunch of gadgets that could function if anyone used them, which does not make him super.

and lol at spidey sense tingles. Love a good Spiderman situation.

The definition of superhuman is having or showing exceptional ability or powers.

Batman is a superhero as he has exceptional ability.

If Batman ate a bunch of bats and starts firing batarangs out of his eyeball (or somewhere else lol) I'd say they were equal, but I just don't think they are. One has a source of power, the other has a bunch of gadgets that could function if anyone used them, which does not make him super.

and lol at spidey sense tingles. Love a good Spiderman situation.
I can agree with some of that, but I'd say the same about Tony Stark... if he swallowed some nuclear power or something... yeah I could see it, but he altered his body with a device he made... does that mean batman is a superhero if he develops something, and physically implants it into his body?

The definition of superhuman is having or showing exceptional ability or powers.

Batman is a superhero as he has exceptional ability.

is Bruce Lee a superhero?
Is Usain Bolt a superhero?
Is Ron Bolt a superhero?

I can agree with some of that, but I'd say the same about Tony Stark... if he swallowed some nuclear power or something... yeah I could see it, but he altered his body with a device he made... does that mean if batman is a superhero if he develops something, and physically implants it into his body?

And starts flying around and firing crazy charges at baddies? I'm thinking at that point I'd support it.

.....so maybe we go back to buttarangs? haaaahahahahaha I can't handle this chat.

And starts flying around and firing crazy charges at baddies? I'm thinking at that point I'd support it.

.....so maybe we go back to buttarangs? haaaahahahahaha I can't handle this chat.
How demoralized would you be as a villain if a guy dropped his pants and incapacitated you with a projectile shot from his butt?

How demoralized would you be as a villain if a guy dropped his pants and incapacitated you with a projectile shot from his butt?

I feel like being demoralized would be the least of my concerns at that moment in time.

is Bruce Lee a superhero?
Is Usain Bolt a superhero?
Is Ron Bolt a superhero?

No, because they did not use their abilities to benefit others. Thus they are not "heroes"

I agree with you, but I do think that's a bad basis for an argument. That's like saying 'take the spider out of spiderman" hahaha
Not sure why it's a bad argument. The only thing that makes Hal Jordan a superhero is a green ring (and the lantern that keeps it charged). Separate the two and Hal becomes a regular Joe. To which, I'd say Bruce Wayne is still pretty darn effective without his "Bat Belt" because of his amazing intellect, his combat prowess (tactical ability plus knowledge and proficiency in unarmed combat), and his overall strength and quickness. I think it's ironic that we're all hung up on skills like strength, speed, invulnerability and flight as being indicators of superpowers, but the guy who is most likely the most intelligent individual on the planet ... is discredited continuously.

Also Ironman's "power source" only manages to keep the metal fragments in his chest from killing him. It doesn't confer him super strength or speed, immortality, render impervious to weapons, or anything of the sort. Unless of course we're moving into the Extremis story lines where he hosts his suit inside the hollow of his bones and it emerges from his body.

Last edited:
Nope just a rich guy in really good shape trying to do a bit of good. There is nothing to make him super.
Batman=no super powers just gadgets=not a superhero
Superman=superpowers= superhero

Not sure why it's a bad argument. The only think that makes Hal Jordan a superhero is a green ring (and the lantern that keeps it charged). Separate the two and Hal becomes a regular Joe. To which, I'd say Bruce Wayne is still pretty darn effective without his "Bat Belt" because of his amazing intellect, his combat prowess (tactical ability plus knowledge and proficiency in unarmed combat), and his overall strength and quickness. I think it's ironic that we're all hung up on skills like strength, speed, invulnerability and flight as being indicators of superpowers, but the guy who is most likely the most intelligent individual on the planet ... is discredited continuously.

Also Ironman's "power source" only manages to keep the metal fragments in his chest from killing him. It doesn't confer him super strength or speed, immortality, render impervious to weapons, or anything of the sort.
Didn't Iron Man eventually get the shrapnel out so it's all his brains and technology now? Never thought his injury was the source of his power anyways.

Didn't Iron Man eventually get the shrapnel out so it's all his brains and technology now? Never thought his injury was the source of his power anyways.
Yes he did (actually I think they did that by replacing his heart altogether). Like Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark has genius intellect, and he's actually a very good hand-to-hand combatant (trained by Captain America). Going back to the movies as evidence, but Tony held his own against the Winter Soldier without the help of a full Iron Man suit.

Still think Batman whoops Iron Man's arse though if they ever went toe to toe (with or without their tech upgrades).

Back