Is Cornhole a Sport?

Sure I would call it a sport.

Absolutely not

I think it's definitely on the fringes, but I'm calling it a sport. It requires a modicum of coordination, and physical abilities.

Sport: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

All sports are games, but not all games are sports.

A sport is any competitive, physical game with objective scoring. Cornhole is a sport. Bowling is a sport. Golf is a sport. This contrasts with things like gymnastics or diving which lack subjective scoring thus are exhibitions with a winner determined by the whims of subjective individuals. Then you have races which are just that - races. Simple.

Haha. No, it’s not a sport. It’s just a game, kind of like checkers.

I would classify it under game, not sport.

By definition its a sport. Just because the physical exertion isn't demanding doesn't mean the throwing of a bean bag isn't physical exertion. Same is true of darts. And bowling. And horseshoes. And even billiards. Walking up a flight of stairs is a sport if you're competing against someone else and a third person is getting entertainment out of it.

But participation in a sport doesn't automatically make one an athlete, just a competitor.

It’s as much as a sport as golf is.

100%. Competition and takes effort

Athlete can be defined a lot of ways. Hand-eye coordination, consistency, and competitive fortitude make up a lot of that. Golfers should understand that more than anyone.

Cornhole = Sport
Ice Dancing = NOT

Nah. I wouldn't call darts or pool sports either. Similar.

Cornhole = Sport
Ice Dancing = NOT
It's not hard to be halfway decent at cornhole, even with a beer in your hand. Ice dancing would be a guaranteed ER trip for most of us! :LOL:

No. Amazing skill. Not a sport.

It's not hard to be halfway decent at cornhole, even with a beer in your hand. Ice dancing would be a guaranteed ER trip for most of us! :LOL:
Athletic yes. But IMO any competition that is determined by judgement and not measurable quantitative results isn’t a sport.

I play in an Elks corn hole league. I try not to touch the team hackers bags.

20231010_204547.jpg

An ESPN 8 The 8 activity.

I think it's definitely on the fringes, but I'm calling it a sport. It requires a modicum of coordination, and physical abilities.

Sport: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

All sports are games, but not all games are sports.
+1 for sport

If bowling is a sport, so is cornhole

Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by THE NEXT STEP

Ask and you shall receive.
See above posts.
Team Name: Children of the Corn.
Partner : older brother.
That is freaking awesome.

I’m leaning toward it just being a social game.

Back