Is GameGolf dead?

Interesting why they failed yet others succeeded.

One word: Marketing.

Arccos created a need where one didn't exist. They talked men into carrying their iPhones in their front pockets. However, this completely eliminated women from the equation because... clothing manufacturers don't put front pockets in women's clothes, and if they do, they don't make them deep enough to be useful - we're supposed to lug around those handbags. I didn't like it because I don't like Apple products. Then they made it compatible for the Android - long story. I lost my phone on the golf course because it fell out of my not quite deep enough utility pocket which I thought was deep enough. Same day I lost my hearing aid on the golf course. So f***!:oops::censored:

Game Golf was slow to respond to the change in the market place. Their product didn't do anything different than Arccos except it was $300 less. People saw this and figured that Game Golf couldn't be any good. It's the Martha Stewart effect. When she first started out she was selling pies at a fair price. No one bought them. Then she doubled the price and people thought they were gourmet and bought them. The only significant difference between Arccos and Game Golf was that you had to tag your clubs with Game Golf and didn't with Arccos. But you had to carry your phone in your front pocket with Arccos. Were people too lazy to tag their clubs? Or did they simply think that Game Golf wasn't as good because it was so much cheaper than Arccos? You got the same stats.

Then Arccos got this sweetheart deal with Cobra. And then with Ping.

Then late to the game, Game Golf decided to come out with a system that would be overpriced like Arccos and you wouldn't have to tag your clubs.

I used to love my Game Golf until the unit broke after 3 yrs. Oh well, it was out of warranty. I never replaced it. It was more for fun seeing where I was hitting the ball and keeping stats. The unit attached on my small belt very nicely. I miss it.

But I'm going with Garmin this year. Garmin G80 Approach. I hope I don't lose this one on the course. :cautious:

Nope I got some tags they sent me but not the actual unit. Kinda forgot about it with winter maybe I'll start the talks up again with the CEO

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Ya, I did their painful tagging on the pro to build a profile for myself supposedly, and they were to send me a new medallion. Still waiting as well. Not too impressed with these guys.

Interesting why they failed yet others succeeded.

My guess is lack of revenue.
I bought a unit for a reasonable price (around $100) on Amazon back in 2016. That’s my only cost. 4 years later I’m still using that unit without issues.

If I had Arccos I believe you gave to pay for the unit plus around a $100 if not more annual subscription. So If I had both units Arccos would have gotten $500 from me. Game Golf $100.

My guess is lack of revenue.
I bought a unit for a reasonable price (around $100) on Amazon back in 2016. That’s my only cost. 4 years later I’m still using that unit without issues.

If I had Arccos I believe you gave to pay for the unit plus around a $100 if not more annual subscription. So If I had both units Arccos would have gotten $500 from me. Game Golf $100.

They needed to come up with better or newer releases. Tie to online

They needed to come up with better or newer releases.

Can you elaborate ? They did come up with GG Live which allowed on course editing and Bluetooth from phone to the unit.

For me I’d much rather prefer to wear a receiver and use the light weight tags vs carrying my laptop sized phone in my pocket and using big tags with batteries in them. So for me GG was the superior offering. It still works for me I’m terms of being able to access all my data so I’ll
Continue until it dies lol

Develop it to have online portal or something keep relevant. There was a competing Kickstarter company. Tracking is one thing but to your point you only needed one purchase. I think price point might have been high...

Develop it to have online portal or something keep relevant. There was a competing Kickstarter company. Tracking is one thing but to your point you only needed one purchase. I think price point might have been high...

Game golf was only like $150 when it came out. I paid much less than that on amazon for a new unit. $100 iirc
You could easily get into a unit for $50-75 used. Going on my 5th season now with it. So my cost is roughly $20 per season which is a deal.

Not sure what you mean by develop an online portal ?
Game golf has plenty of good data and info on
Their site and App to assess your game. My only gripe is you couldn’t get an export of your data. I don’t believe you can export data from Arccos either.

Game golf was only like $150 when it came out. I paid much less than that on amazon for a new unit. $100 iirc
You could easily get into a unit for $50-75 used. Going on my 5th season now with it. So my cost is roughly $20 per season which is a deal.

Not sure what you mean by develop an online portal ?
Game golf has plenty of good data and info on
Their site and App to assess your game. My only gripe is you couldn’t get an export of your data. I don’t believe you can export data from Arccos either.

My question going forward is the company going to support the unit? Can I buy now and still gain information from my round?

I would avoid it. It seems at any moment they could just disappear. I was hoping Arccos or someone would just acquire them and then allow you to migrate the old data. For me the hardware was always good. The software however was horrible.

Using a MAC, I've never been able to download the app, but it seems to work well with the web version. It sometimes takes a little while to "reconcile" the data from my phone to the web, but it eventually gets there.

I created an account just to post this. I've been researching this as I was considering getting one but there are too many negative reviews, especially ones mentioning multiple disconnects during a round. I'm from New Zealand and the prices for these units are slashed.

e.g. This seller on trademe (our version of ebay) has 10+ Game Golf Live units at $100NZ, which $64US.

I originally used the Classic Version, but then bought the Live version when Game Golf just about a year before Game Golf released Pro (bought the old one for a great deal). It worked excellent originally, but I feel like the software had an update when they also released Pro, and it almost seems as though they didn't have the proper infrastructure to maintain both platforms. As such, I have also been experiencing a disconnect midway through a round on an almost regular basis, to the point where I'm unable to get my phone to reconnect.

I'm debating switching back to the Classic version, as I end up having to use a scorecard, anyway.

-Bishop

My question going forward is the company going to support the unit? Can I buy now and still gain information from my round?

I got a backup unit from a buddy. It was the “Live” version. Used it in nov and it linked to my account just fine. So it seems if you buy a unit it would work. I switched back to my Classic unit for 2 reasons though.

1) The one local course I play has a secondary tee box that is about 100 yds away from the normal tees on the 6th hole. Anytime those tees were being used the connection seemed to flake out and took a few holes to get back in sync. Not shots were lost but it did throw it for a loop.

2) I don’t like having to have my phone on me during a round. For one it disrupts my round and also I found out that my phone sliding around in the golf cart really scratched my phone case.

Last edited:
Well Erock, you've sold me on switching back to the Classic version. I'll be implementing that in my next round.

-Bishop

I was able to sign into my account today

That’s good to know. I have the classic version and would still like to use it this season

I have been using GG Classic for over 500 rounds!! Last Sunday my round would not download! This happened 2 more times . I cannot reach costumer support- they have always responded quickly for me - have they shut down? anybody know what is happening?

I have been using GG Classic for over 500 rounds!! Last Sunday my round would not download! This happened 2 more times . I cannot reach costumer support- they have always responded quickly for me - have they shut down? anybody know what is happening?
The website has been dead for 4 days now, and I was unable to access or record a round last week.

Unfortunately, I took the tags off my clubs last night. I'm not just going to toss them at this point, but it doesn't appear that the company has any infrastructure at this point.

Boss man said it wasn't looking good a month ago. Repeated outages since then are even more discouraging.

The website has been dead for 4 days now, and I was unable to access or record a round last week.

Unfortunately, I took the tags off my clubs last night. I'm not just going to toss them at this point, but it doesn't appear that the company has any infrastructure at this point.
That is so sad to me - especially since my last 3 rounds (not recorded ) were 81, 85, and 81!!!! I won't give up on them until I fill the full 9 rounds on my device!

That is so sad to me - love analyzing my rounds - esp putting and driving distance. I have room in the device for 6 more rounds - so I won't give up til it is full- then????????? Switch to Arccoss?

That is so sad to me - love analyzing my rounds - esp putting and driving distance. I have room in the device for 6 more rounds - so I won't give up til it is full- then????????? Switch to Arccoss?
I don't know that I'm interested in switching to anything else at this point. The Arcoss system is more than twice the price of the Game Golf, and I'm finding that I'm able to use alternative apps to generate similar statistics, and many of these apps are free.

I'm really bummed, too. I used the Classic version over 5 years ago, and logged some really great rounds. Tagging was fully-integrated into my pre-shot routine, as well.

I was informed by a guy that classifies himself as a power user. Said the company closed last week.

Seems like their data archive would have some value. Lat, lon, and club tag shouldn't be too difficult to translate to a competitor's format.

Site is back up. I messaged several employees on Linkdin early this morning. After about 2 hours, the site was back up. I think they just might be short staffed for all the Covid fallout.

Back