Is short the way to long?

Had an interesting convo about this whole at ust this weekend, suffice to say we will agree to disagree.

As ams, we give ourselves way too much credit to the repeatability of our swings, fact is we have bigger things to worry about than an inch or inch and a half. I used to think the same way, then I had my eyes opened by people in the industry way smarter than I am.

I know for fact my swing is anything but solidly repeatable especially as the club gets longer. I'll hit a 7i more consistently than a 4i and that more consistently than 3wood. A couple things contribute to this fact for me practice with said club and the fact that the errors are magnified as the club get longer, a degree off line at 35in is less than a degree off at 38 or 42.

Swing repeatability is the key to maximizing distance consistently and controlling where the ball flies.

Choking down works but unless there is a dot or other marker on the grip will never be the same, also most ams grip too high on the club anyway trying to get all the length they can.

I am currently at 45" which is longer than what I was playing last year. Normally I would be between 44-44.5". Everytime I've picked up a 46" driver it just feels wrong. I also hate the feeling of choking up on driver with full swings. Maybe the mental side gets too involved but I can say for me my accuracy is much much better with a driver shorter than 46".

Also if longer is better for everyone then why stop at 46"? why not 47", I believe the legal limit is 48 so why not push that boundry?

On another point what does this extra length do to a persons setup and lie angle of the club. I'm 5'6" and would imagine going from 44"-47" would have a great influence on this.

Well I did get out on the range today with the cut down (44") driver. Have to say I like it. At regular length (45.5"), I don't feel like I control the driver head very well. At 44" it feels very controllable (kind of like how I feel about my 3W).

Strong (25mph) cross winds today so ball flight was hard to gauge but what I could observe I liked. Contact felt quite solid and I don't feel I gave up any distance. Will need a lower wind day to see how this works out for me and to contemplate any swing weight adjustments.

I'll ask this, why is it so hard to just choke down from longer when you need to?

I watched 9 guys go longer than their gamers, all gained speed, and all gained a lot better dispersion. All different caps, all different skills, all different swings. I've got the numbers all saved on my phone and I'm going with the numbers. There's no right or wrong with your own game, but I'm going to take the knowledge and evidence and run with it in my game.

I know it's the Internet and rationalization is the king, but I simple love spreading the knowledge and information from the sources who develop and do this for a living.

Its all gravy.
It's very hard to dispute hard numbers and what the eyes I have seen. So I wont, but let give those same 9 a month and see where they are. There is a huge difference in a controlled, adrenaline filled environment and a relaxed round away from.said envitonment.

I.think more will.benefit from shot er clubs to max their distance over longer and lighter. It has everything to do with the ever evolving golf.swing of the average player.

I'm a short guy in height, but all my clubs are standard length, because if I need more control I'll just choke down on my club(s).

Internet golfer time here: I don't really care what the shaft expert says.

I did a lot of experimenting with different shaft lengths and have to go with my own results. I tried 46" and hated it. 44.5-45 is perfect for me.

If I had to guess... "Because it doesn't FEEL right"

I think golfers get caught up in what they "know" and fear change. See: player irons for mid cappers.... complaints about offset.... the great hybrid debate... The funny thing about golf, and change, is that it takes time. Anyone ever go get their grip changed by an instructor? I bet it feels absolutely tragic for a few sessions, and then suddenly 'it just FEELS right'

Yep. Changed my grip from an interlocking to over lapping grip last year and it was miserable at first. Change is never easy, but if it's a positive change you just have to commit to it or else it's not going to do anything positive for you.

I hit some drivers with 46" than I do others... Maybe it's comfortability with a driver or something mental. I had one of my drivers ordered at 45 1/4 and got along ok,with the shaft but based on numbers and discussions with a fitter I swapped it out for a different shaft at 46" and heavier. I hit that setup more consistent and further and it didn't take long to get accustomed to the length.

at 5'8 I don't notice much of a change in a longer shaft and the ability to hit center of face or not and feel that is more swing related. Talking with an OEM rep their recommendation during a fitting at a demo day was to just choke down on the grip 1/2" if needed to control the ball but leave their stock shaft at 46"

And with all that, I'll bow out from the conversation, lesson learned, again.

I'll ask this, why is it so hard to just choke down from longer when you need to?

I watched 9 guys go longer than their gamers, all gained speed, and all gained a lot better dispersion. All different caps, all different skills, all different swings. I've got the numbers all saved on my phone and I'm going with the numbers. There's no right or wrong with your own game, but I'm going to take the knowledge and evidence and run with it in my game.

I know it's the Internet and rationalization is the king, but I simple love spreading the knowledge and information from the sources who develop and do this for a living.

Its all gravy.
I like gravy!

And with all that, I'll bow out from the conversation, lesson learned, again.

You can lead a horse to water, doesn't mean it's gonna drink.

Hmmm I must of missed something....

He is referring to me, saying I didn't care what the expert says. I'm foolish in a lot of ways, but if I test things for myself and find one works better for me, why would I choose the option that didn't.

When I want more control I usually just grip down, kept at stock length. Seems to be working for me as of late. Driver is one of my strengths ,I need to incorporate this to my iron game and I can shoot better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently went shorter--I need to measure it, but I would guess between 44.25-44.5. I imagine I'm leaving some yards on the table, but the biggest change I've seen is my misses aren't as bad and are much more likely to stay in play. I've been fighting the driver for a while, but the move shorter has made the biggest difference for me in terms of consistency. I would love to be able go with a 46" driver, but I have not found the combination that works for me yet.

I was at the UST event and went from a 44.5" driver to a 46". I improved dispersion probably by 50%. I'm sure the majority of the improvemt came from the more forgiving club head (Calaway XR vs TM SLDR 460), but the added length definitely didn't hurt.

And as the shaft designer/pro fitter said, amateurs all hit bad shots and good shots. So why not make your good shots better? I drove a green for the first time in my life with this new club. It's hard to argue with that.

Sure, I still struggle with the driver on course, but that's my swing not the club. And I'm putting myself in better positions on the good swings on course which is helping in other areas.

I went to 44.5 a few years ago and it has meant far more fairways hit with a minimal loss of distance. 46 or 45.5 is just too long for me to swing properly and control where the ball was going. I was getting nothing but big high slices, now dead straight or a slight fade. When you cut down a driver, lead tape is your friend to get a proper swing weight.

And as the shaft designer/pro fitter said, amateurs all hit bad shots and good shots. So why not make your good shots better?

My good shots don't need to change, it is my bad shots I want to improve.

This came up during my lesson today, and when I mentioned the idea of shortening my driver, my coach had me choke down an inch or so for a handful of swings to get me used to standing a little closer and a little more upright, then had me go back to holding the club at my usual position but maintaining that upright stance, which really helped. He mentioned some of playing a driver at a certain length is getting away from the idea that you need to stand so far away and flatten your swing out to get to the ball.

I haven't played a driver less than 45.5" in recent memory, and when my swing has been good, I've driven the ball pretty well. I'd rather fix the swing flaw than keep modifying equipment to compensate for it.

My good shots don't need to change, it is my bad shots I want to improve.

I think certain aspects of equipment can influence and help someone's swing. However, the source of those bad shots aren't the extra inch or two in the shaft. Maybe the shorter shaft helps your misses because of the affect on total distance?

Anyhow, I've tried the shorter shaft route in all of my clubs and bad shots are still bad shots. I don't feel like it's lessened my bad shots though, but I think I'm giving up 5-10 yards in my irons by going -.25" short after comparing with other shafts recently.

Its all gravy.

If I had to guess... "Because it doesn't FEEL right"

I think golfers get caught up in what they "know" and fear change. See: player irons for mid cappers.... complaints about offset.... the great hybrid debate... The funny thing about golf, and change, is that it takes time. Anyone ever go get their grip changed by an instructor? I bet it feels absolutely tragic for a few sessions, and then suddenly 'it just FEELS right'

I'll quote JMan even though he may not see it now.

But at my recent XR fitting I was wearing our the heal. Couldn't find the center tho save my life. The fitter but a piece of tape about 1" down and told me to grip be,ow that.

It was worst I topped like three shots and said that doesn't "feel" right (for you Dan) he said. No it feels different. I told him I didn't the it was the answer for me.

I went back to the full grip and moved slightly further away from the ball. It feet like I was lunging at it. I don't know the whole thing just never got on track. Could have just been a bad day.

As today I swung the D200 which I think is 46" as well and I was almost dead center every time except for two heels where I could feel I stood up during the shot.

So for me as of now 46" is fine and choking down just doesn't work.

I'll quote JMan even though he may not see it now.

But at my recent XR fitting I was wearing our the heal. Couldn't find the center tho save my life. The fitter but a piece of tape about 1" down and told me to grip be,ow that.

It was worst I topped like three shots and said that doesn't "feel" right (for you Dan) he said. No it feels different. I told him I didn't the it was the answer for me.

I went back to the full grip and moved slightly further away from the ball. It feet like I was lunging at it. I don't know the whole thing just never got on track. Could have just been a bad day.

As today I swung the D200 which I think is 46" as well and I was almost dead center every time except for two heels where I could feel I stood up during the shot.

So for me as of now 46" is fine and choking down just doesn't work.
Did you try a 45" driver, that would have made you adjust your length from the ball?

Did you try a 45" driver, that would have made you adjust your length from the ball?

Not at the time it was just the XR and he said it was 46"

In addition to the D200 mentioned above. I hit the FlyZ today and loved it (45.5) I think according to the Cobra site I looked up after I got home.

I was going to post in that thread to you how much I liked it. I know you've been raving about it or the + can't remember which one.

I play my 815 DBD at 44.25". Bubba plays his driver at 44.5" at 6'4, Tiger's best driving days were with a steel shafted 43.5" at 6'1. Get fitted, get your driver swing-weighted properly after going shorter. I'm all in for shorter length drivers.

The guys you mentioned can afford to do so because they can still swing that 44.5" driver over 120 mph. It's apples to oranges.

I have tried to, because the thought of it just makes sense to me.

I have tried 3 different drivers with the same shafts from 44-46 inches and I always hit the longer shaft a little bit further and just as accurately.

Not sure why but it doesn't work for me.

Back