Is Taylor Swift the biggest singer/entertainer ever?

Yes, I think she has entered into being the greatest entertainer of all time. It's just music but, but the following she has makes her insanely powerful. Her presidential endorsement for example will not be "nothing" because she's "just a Pop Star". Whether any of us like it or not, it has power.

She's just an absolute legend. You can hate her music, but the following and reaction she can generate across multiple entertainment platforms is just insane. Look at what she did the Chiefs fan base, and Kelce sales alone. I can name a dozen people in my own life that literally didn't care about football until she started dating Kelce, and now are going to watch the super bowl. It's crazy.

... an NFL game has a 60:00 minute clock, actual football played is around 18 minutes, yet there are enough stoppages and commercials to stretch the game out to 3+ hours.
Indeed.

Funny story: My wife and I went to watch something, one evening. As far-too-often happens: It was delayed due to "foot"ball game coverage. Muted the TV and waited. At one point I looked up and noticed my wife was watching the game. Intrigued, I watched her watching the game. Finally she asks "Do they actually ever play?" "Sure they do," I replied, "Just wait." Then, just as the ball's snapped, she looks away. "There!" I exclaim. She looked up, but, by then the play was over. "Where?" she asked. "You missed it." I rewound and showed her. "That's it?" she asked. "That's it," I replied. "Now you know why five minutes on the clock can take another half hour in real time
lol.gif

I honestly don't understand how fans can put up with it
shake.gif

Michael Jackson
Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
Garth Brooks
Zeppelin
Queen
Rolling Stones
Elvis
And to think they did it all without the promotion machine of social media.

She's accomplished more than most actual "royalty" 🤷‍♂️

The average NFL fan might not care, but there are millions of fresh eyeballs tuning in because of her. NFL is smart to try tapping into that market.
Preach
I prefer to see a shot of T Swift at a break in play vs some fat dude that is covered in body paint or a grown man wearing a Halloween costume yelling like an idiot.
Preach X2
They did the math bro, she gets shown for SECONDS out of a game. People just want their panties in a wad though.
Preach X3
I wish they would stop showing Eminem at the Lions games. He's just another dude. I stopped watching the NBA because I kept seeing Jack at Lakers games and Spike Lee at the Knicks games.
Preach X4
Fun fact I read the other day...

T Swift, 44 seconds of air time = bad.
Random people eating crab cakes, 27 seconds of air time = no problemo.
Preach X5
I honestly feel that it’s mostly people who just WANT to be mad at anything.
Preach X6
Or maybe the millions and millons of people she makes insanely happy? I would say that is a pretty big contribution
Preach X7
My 9 and 6 year old daughters watched the AFC Championship game with me because they wanted to cheer for "Taylor Swift's boyfriend". Other than a couple minutes of Packer games here and there, it was the first time they've really been interested in football.

I chuckled when they were gushing about Swift and giggling about Kelce being her boyfriend, and I loved getting to share that time with them...answering questions about the game and just getting to hang out and connect. It was super cool, and 100% because of Taylor Swift's influence.
That's so cool! Love hearing those stories
For you. She adds nothing, for you.

To others, she adds a lot. She adds a lot more to that broadcast of a football game than anything else. The fact that a musician has the power to make people tune into something they don't know anything about is impressive. She's doing more to grow the NFL amongst 10-18 year old females than the NFL has EVER been able to do. So, shut up and enjoy the fact that she is helping grow the game you love.

Yes, she adds nothing to the play on the field, but so what? She's not taking anything away from the play on the field either.
Preach X8
My daughters are the same.. They have been making 49ers and Chief (mostly Chiefs) friendship bead bracelets and with Mahomes, and Taylor's boyfriend's numbers and they are actually excited to watch the game. They want Chief shirts to wear to the superbowl party and as annoying as I may think T.S. is. It is really fun to see them excited for a football game in their own way..
So cool!
lol

Preach

Preach X2

Preach X3

Preach X4

Preach X5

Preach X6

Preach X7

That's so cool! Love hearing those stories

Preach X8

So cool!

lol
Excellent use of the multi quote.

Which can be said about any fanbase of any entertainer, sports team, Costco, etc.
True but this was regarding TS. I follow three year letterman on Twitter, he had her army all up in arms. Not gonna lie it was fun to spectate

I love how you all turn being Annoyed shes shown on TV constantly to Mad that she's excited about a game. Way to twist the story to fit what you want.

Yes Some Football fans are annoyed but that is a different argument than If she's the biggest singer/entertainer ever which I still will argue she's not in the Top 5 YET! Which was the original question for the Thread!

Michael Jackson + Sinatra + Elvis + Beatles + Pink Floyd + Prince, Bruce Springsteen All are better than Taylor Swift and Those are just the first 7 that I could think of who had FAR more influence on music than Taylor Swift.

Go look at Prince's song list. No not his own but the ones he wrote for other people. I don't get Springsteen but the fact that people pay Taylor Swift prices for his shows while going to 100+ shows is crazy.

Once again TS sells music to mostly 1 group of fans. A very large and vocal group but still a narrow range and I will add that a good percentage of her "Sales" are when she re-released her old albums so she could profit off them, Good for her but sales #'s get skewed. ITunes also changed the way music is sold.

I have a lot of respect for everything TS has done, She's quite an amazing entertainer my daughters tell me. She just needs to earn the lifetime achievement award at the end not the middle of her career.

I think the only ones I'd debate with Swift would be Michael Jackson and Elvis. The Beatles popularity would be right there, but they're a group.

It isn't about the impact on music, it's just who is the biggest star. The film version of her concert was the #1 movie in America for multiple weeks!

The NFL situation is a perfect way to frame the debate...what other musicians in history would increase NFL ticket resale prices and TV viewership just by attending the games? I wasn't around for him, but Elvis is the only one I think that maybe had that kind of an impact (probably Beatles, but again, not counting a group).

In his prime, Sinatra was much bigger than TS. Not just in music but movies too. Heck his influence even helped get JFK elected!

I think the only ones I'd debate with Swift would be Michael Jackson and Elvis. The Beatles popularity would be right there, but they're a group.

It isn't about the impact on music, it's just who is the biggest star. The film version of her concert was the #1 movie in America for multiple weeks!

The NFL situation is a perfect way to frame the debate...what other musicians in history would increase NFL ticket resale prices and TV viewership just by attending the games? I wasn't around for him, but Elvis is the only one I think that maybe had that kind of an impact (probably Beatles, but again, not counting a group).

In his prime, Sinatra was much bigger than TS. Not just in music but movies too. Heck his influence even helped get JFK elected!
Did either of those two guys have any real impact outside of the US? Hell, Elvis never toured outside the US.

That's my big pushback there. Globally, Taylor Swift has been much more impactful than Elvis or Sinatra were.

Elvis was huge worldwide. Michael Jackson and The Beatles had more global appeal too. Maybe even throw Madonna into the conversation too.

Swift is getting up there but it's mainly popularity, not necessarily her music. Which is fine but not hugely influential.

All those people above never had 24/7 media coverage either.

No I am rooting for the 49ers because #1 my buddy is a huge fan and #2 I don't want the Chiefs to win and then have to listen to the "Is Patrick Mahommes better than Brady" argument when he only has 3 rings.
Just for you.

Have no idea who the biggest singer/entertainer is but come on, let's be real. Taylor has limited chops compared to Whitney Houston having chops deluxe- not even in the same neighborhood.

Have no idea who the biggest singer/entertainer is but come on, let's be real. Taylor has limited chops compared to Whitney Houston having chops deluxe- not even in the same neighborhood.
Also lacking the dru……

Nope, nevermind, not gonna say it.

This thread has gone from shocking to me, to amazing. 🤣

Taylor Swift being shown on TV or heard on the radio seems to ruffle some feathers. If it bothers you that much about her being talked about…grab the remote and watch something different.

With that being said…time to drop the Reputation album on the player. 😂

I don't think anyone here is trying to make that argument. We're just talking about her popularity.

Literally nobody has made any sort of argument about chops.

That's not a part of the conversation.

Taylor Swift being shown on TV or heard on the radio seems to ruffle some feathers. If it bothers you that much about her being talked about…grab the remote and watch something different.

With that being said…time to drop the Reputation album on the player. 😂
TSWIZZLE! 🤣

Literally nobody has made any sort of argument about chops.

That's not a part of the conversation.
Gotta move those goal posts! It’s the interwebs!

Gotta move those goal posts! It’s the interwebs!
Just gotta knock the pretty and successful lady down a peg.

Also, the 24/7 news coverage and social media of today isn't something to dismiss as an argument against her...it's a big reason and evidence that she has a bigger influence than the similar stars of yesteryear.

I don't think anyone here is trying to make that argument. We're just talking about her popularity.

No doubt she's popular with media marketing behind her every step but seems overdone given the product.

Man, people really hate Taylor Swift. Is it just that they don't like her music?

I don't care for her music personally, but have nothing against her otherwise. 🤷‍♂️

Back