Is Taylor Swift the biggest singer/entertainer ever?

While I wouldn't consider myself a Taylor Swift fan, i do respect what she's accomplished. So, she just might be the biggest ever (so far)....

I do wonder about the numbers of people and $$$ that.... The Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Madonna etc... would have put up, if comparable social media, similar tech. and venue infrastructure was in place during their eras from the start of their careers to the finish (not to mention calculating dollars adjusted for inflation) Sorta like comparing Ruth to Aaron to Bonds... just a lot of variables to contend with (pitching strength, live/dead ball eras, etc..) but, that's what makes the comparisons entertaining.

She just gave away $55 million in bonuses to everyone to working on her eras tour! Only a billionaire could do that!
A headline grabbing way of announcing that she has totally changed the way folks get paid in the music business.
something a billionaire 'could' do is a great way of putting it.

She's one of the few who 'would' it seems, and it's incredibly hard to ignore it. What an unbelievable gesture.

She's coming to MN June 24th.... I'm sure I'll have to get a few tix for my 2 teenagers...

But to be honest - her last concert that we took them to about 5 years ago wasn't too bad... Besides that, I may have been one of 500 men in a crowd of 50,000....

@jmix18 - hopefully you are able to get them when they come out. otherwise the resale price for Taylor Swift tickets have been ridiculous. In NY, tickets we going for about $1,200-$1,800 in the upper section of the stadium. Personally, no concert is worth that price.

I went a week later to an Ed Sheeran concert and paid $100. lol!

So Midnights came up as a suggested album. I don’t have a lot of experience with her music. Why am I really enjoying this?

As a 45 year old man who is an avid hip-hop and sometimes EDM listener I’m confused and scared.

If ‘I don’t start sh*t but I can tell you how how it ends’ isn’t one of the coldest lines I’ve ever heard in a song idk what is. 🔥

@jmix18 - hopefully you are able to get them when they come out. otherwise the resale price for Taylor Swift tickets have been ridiculous. In NY, tickets we going for about $1,200-$1,800 in the upper section of the stadium. Personally, no concert is worth that price.

I went a week later to an Ed Sheeran concert and paid $100. lol!
We passed on going. Wasn't worth the $$ and the girls have started to move towards other artists. While she's an icon - she's still not worth that amount for a ticket.

So we did not get selected for the verified ticket sales for the additional concerts Taylor released today. So it looks like I might be taking my ladies to Paris, France to see her as a surprise in May 2024.
Golfed with a guy a few weeks ago whose wife is going to see her in Dublin next year for the same reason.

So Midnights came up as a suggested album. I don’t have a lot of experience with her music. Why am I really enjoying this?

As a 45 year old man who is an avid hip-hop and sometimes EDM listener I’m confused and scared.

If ‘I don’t start sh*t but I can tell you how how it ends’ isn’t one of the coldest lines I’ve ever heard in a song idk what is. 🔥
There's a song on "Red: Taylor's Version" about her relationship with Jake Gyllenhaal (when she was 21 and he was 29) and that features a good one too, " And I was never good at telling jokes, but the punch line goes 'I'll get older, but your lovers stay my age'"

There are very few as good as Taylor Swift for a cutting personal lyric.

Last edited:
My wife didn't get selected either. I'm not sure we're dedicated enough to fly to Europe to see her though :LOL:
Well we have been talking about going to Paris before COVID so this knocks two birds out with a single stone.

There was this singer a few years ago, his name was Michael Jackson.

Not that this is a criteria for the question posed but Axl Rose has the largest vocal range, Swift is near the bottom. That said Elvis, Michael Jackson, Prince and long shot is Glenn Campbell, he was a superb guitar player. Eddie Van Halen wanted lessons from him.

Not that this is a criteria for the question posed but Axl Rose has the largest vocal range, Swift is near the bottom. That said Elvis, Michael Jackson, Prince and long shot is Glenn Campbell, he was a superb guitar player. Eddie Van Halen wanted lessons from him.
Wait, Glenn Campbell? Bigger than Taylor Swift?

Fine Garth Brooks, and I’m not a country music guy. Forgive me, Wichita Lineman played just before I started typing.

I would say that even at his peak Michael Jackson would have struggled to sell as many concert tickets as Taylor Swift is selling on her latest tour. I tried to get tickets for my daughter she was playing 5 shows and 2 million people registered for presale tickets. That is a totally insane number of people. No chance any other artist could reach those numbers in the past 40 years.

False.

From the Bad Tour:

" Jackson went on to perform seven sold-out shows at Wembley for a total of 504,000 people which entered him into the Guinness World Records, the first of three times from the tour alone "

From the Dangerous Tour:

" On October 1, 1992 Michael played Bucharest, Romania on his Dangerous World Tour to a sold-out stadium of 90,000 screaming fans. Just 9 days later on October 10th, the concert was broadcast on HBO as Live In Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour, breaking records for the highest ratings in cable history. "

We won't get into what his tour was about to do before he died...

Or what people would do just to get a glimpse:

False.

From the Bad Tour:

" Jackson went on to perform seven sold-out shows at Wembley for a total of 504,000 people which entered him into the Guinness World Records, the first of three times from the tour alone "

From the Dangerous Tour:

" On October 1, 1992 Michael played Bucharest, Romania on his Dangerous World Tour to a sold-out stadium of 90,000 screaming fans. Just 9 days later on October 10th, the concert was broadcast on HBO as Live In Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour, breaking records for the highest ratings in cable history. "

We won't get into what his tour was about to do before he died...

Or what people would do just to get a glimpse:

You know who would have struggled to sell those Wembely and Bucharest tickets? Elvis and Frank Sinatra.

Don't know about EVER, but probably the biggest artist in the last 20 years. We live in a time where people do not buy albums any longer and artist basically tour to make money now. I think it is a great that a singer is making huge waves in the industry.

She’s in my father’s town for the weekend (friend’s wedding). Apparently word is spreading quick and it’s going to be a **** show there with people trying to see her

I think it'd be extremely difficult to match the global popularity of Michael Jackson or Elvis. But Taylor Swift is now in a league of her own amongst today's stars. And it isn't really close anymore. This tour is on such another level compared to anything else, it's crazy (and awesome). And by all accounts she appears to be an extremely nice human being.

I think it'd be extremely difficult to match the global popularity of Michael Jackson or Elvis. But Taylor Swift is now in a league of her own amongst today's stars. And it isn't really close anymore. This tour is on such another level compared to anything else, it's crazy (and awesome). And by all accounts she appears to be an extremely nice human being.
Was Elvis globally popular? He never toured outside the US.

Yeah you’re right that should just be Michael Jackson. I typed the sentence with just MJ and then stuck Elvis in there incorrectly.

True at the time there was unrest with the Soviet Union. In essence, at the front lines of the Cold War with the Soviet Union, with the friction point of the East Germany border just 150 miles away. He served n the 1st Medium Tank Battalion, 32nd Regiment of the 3rd Armored Division.

Back