Is there a club in your bag that doesn't see much of the course?

Stats show it's my 9i. It's a distance that I don't get often, and when I do I have another knockdown option I hit more often than not since I'm more consistent with that shot.

I'm the total opposite. I find myself knocking down and three quartering my 9i all over the place instead of using my PW, which is my least used club. For some reason, I can control my ball flight much easier with the 9i than the PW.

5 iron for me. Im pretty sure Im adding another hybrid and going 6-AW

I think I've pulled my 4i out maybe 3 times. Just don't use it.

Probably my 4i and 50* wedge see the least amount of play. The 4i is a distance that doesn't come up all that often whereas I'm pulling the 3h in a lot more situations, even if it's a 4i distance, due to more comfort. It probably makes sense to get a 5h because I think it would cover a wider range of distances, but I'm stubborn about keeping long irons in my bag for no apparent reason other than I like hitting them. The 50* just gets subsumed by the other wedges for some reason. I could probably take it out of the bag if I needed to.

58° wedge for me. The only time I consider using it is around the greens when I am on the downhill side of a incline (usually mounds, but sometimes hills) and need it to get a little more loft off the downhill chip. Most of the time I just take the 54° instead because I am more comfortable with it. My new gap wedge is getting some use in those situations too!

My 56° wedge hardly ever got used. I think I used it for all of 7 or 8 shots last year.

My problem is, I'm not all that confident standing over a hybrid either. I'm 99% sure I'm going to a 4h this summer though. It would have to be a high lofted hybrid that is really easy to hit for me to go to a 5h.....Bobby Jones what...?

The RBZ 4h has to be the easiest hybrid I have hit and I am sure is very cheap now. I rarely use my 5 iron as well besides a long par 3 or punch outs that need to get under tree branches. I pulled my 4i out this year and replaced it with a 60* which gets much more use.

60*. I might use it if I'm very close to the green, but even then I might pull out the putter.

My 58* degree wedge. I used to use it all the time but I use my 54 for just about everything now, maybe a 1 wedge bag is in my future.

Including yours and mine, I count nine posts in here that chose the high lofted wedge (most over 58° but there was one 56°). I truly believe people carry too many wedges, probably because of what the pros do. What people forget is that they practice these shots a lot more than most of us pracitce on our entire games (I am guessing), so they tend to get pretty good with them. I think most people would be better off with almost anything other than another 50 something (or 60 something) wedge. Heck, I could carry another driver and I would use it more than I use my 58°.

I have eight rounds in this year, and I can't remember using my 58° even once.

I think for my next round, I am dropping the 58 and putting anything else in. Maybe one of my drivers, maybe my old 11-wood. I might try to find a left handed 7 or 8 iron, as I could have used one yesterday when I was standing in a high sided bunker while my ball was outside the bunker near the green.

Stats show it's my 9i. It's a distance that I don't get often, and when I do I have another knockdown option I hit more often than not since I'm more consistent with that shot.

you know whats strange and a bit of Murphy's law?
Hypothetically if you ever (knowing its least used) decided to remove it from your bag for sake of another wedge or hybrid or whatever that would probably be the day you needed it four times :)

On another note. One of the positives of not beong very good and consistant at golf is that I get to use all my irons about the same :)

you know whats strange and a bit of Murphy's law?
Hypothetically if you ever (knowing its least used) decided to remove it from your bag for sake of another wedge or hybrid or whatever that would probably be the day you needed it four times :)

On another note. One of the positives of not beong very good and consistant at golf is that I get to use all my irons about the same :)

I wouldn't want to remove a club in the middle of the bag, it would need to be at one end or the other. Unless it's dropping a lower lofted iron for something comparable, like replacing a 4 iron with a hybrid or fairway wood. It could be detrimental to your game to drop an 8 iron for a wedge or hybrid, imo. As you mentioned, there will be a time you'll need that club in the middle of the bag.

60* wedge. I only use it for flop shots which are rare. I consider it my 14th club, but I like to know it's there when I need it though.

My 3 hybrid doesn't see much work, nor does my 4 iron.

Including yours and mine, I count nine posts in here that chose the high lofted wedge (most over 58° but there was one 56°). I truly believe people carry too many wedges, probably because of what the pros do. What people forget is that they practice these shots a lot more than most of us pracitce on our entire games (I am guessing), so they tend to get pretty good with them. I think most people would be better off with almost anything other than another 50 something (or 60 something) wedge. Heck, I could carry another driver and I would use it more than I use my 58°.

I think for my next round, I am dropping the 58 and putting anything else in. Maybe one of my drivers, maybe my old 11-wood. I might try to find a left handed 7 or 8 iron, as I could have used one yesterday when I was standing in a high sided bunker while my ball was outside the bunker near the green.

I think it really depends on the golfer and their style of play. I will have to disagree with you personally because I just bought a 60* MD2 and I used that a lot in the first round I had it in my bag. I've always been a chip and pitch player to get me to lower scores so having a high loft wedge in my game now gives me spin and soft landings on 30 yards and in.

I think it really depends on the golfer and their style of play. I will have to disagree with you personally because I just bought a 60* MD2 and I used that a lot in the first round I had it in my bag. I've always been a chip and pitch player to get me to lower scores so having a high loft wedge in my game now gives me spin and soft landings on 30 yards and in.

There are exceptions, to be sure. But more people try to play a high lofted wedge than need to.

5 iron doesn't get hit much. 58 wedge doesn't either.

Honestly I miss a lot of greens and I probably use my 60 degree wedge more than any club in my bag other than my putter and driver. I feel really dialed in and confident with that club from anything from 8-50 yards and again at around 90-100. It's the only club in my bag where I feel like I can have the lightest grip possible and just take it back and let it fall and be reasonably sure its going to do what I want. That lack of thinking has really helped me recover from some piss poor iron play so far this year.

I've also been using it a lot out of green side bunkers with some fairly decent success so far this season.

Honestly I miss a lot of greens and I probably use my 60 degree wedge more than any club in my bag other than my putter and driver. I feel really dialed in and confident with that club from anything from 8-50 yards and again at around 90-100. It's the only club in my bag where I feel like I can have the lightest grip possible and just take it back and let it fall and be reasonably sure its going to do what I want. That lack of thinking has really helped me recover from some piss poor iron play so far this year.

I've also been using it a lot out of green side bunkers with some fairly decent success so far this season.
See two posts above yours.

My GW has not seen action since I got it as part of the set. It is as good as gone when there is an addition needing to be made to the bag.

I've played quite a bit so far this year and have pulled my 4 iron out once. Surprised I'm not using my 5 iron much either.

My 5W doesn't usually see much action. If i'm not using driver on a short par 3 I usually pull a 3h or 4h and very rarely do I got for it on a par 5. I seem to only use it if I really mess up on my drive and need to get back in play on a longer hole.

When i'm playing casual rounds I pack an extra club. For competitive rounds i'll either pull the 64* or the 4-iron out of the bag depending on the course setup. Both rarely see much action. The 64* is getting more play though as I gain more confidence. I never thought i'd be able to hit a full spatula but it seems to be working for a nice 75 yard shot. The 4-iron is basically for long par 3s.

My 60 degree wedge. I normally use it out of the bunker or if I need to do a flop shot but that's it.

3 wood and my *60 wedge

Like many others my 3 wood sees the least amount of use. When I need to be more careful on the tee I tend to pull 4i or now my new 3 hybrid.

Back