Is This The Worst Golf YouTube Trope?

Thrillbilly Jim

No Diddy! No Doubt!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
How come every new golf ball has to be the ProV1 killer? Why can't it just stand on its own merits? This might be my number one YouTube golf criticism. What do you hate about YouTube golf?

They need the benchmark.

If the ProV1 is the "ball to end all balls", then something needs to dethrone it. If it doesn't have that, why wouldn't you just get the ProV1?

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I understand the comparison.

I like some things about that guys channel, but his stupid titles and still frames are among the worst.

It's the clickbait type titles that get me. 99% of golfers know what a Pro V1 is, and it's usually considered as one of the benchmarks.

When you are on top everyone under you wants to be where you are. So, its understandable. But it does get annoying, its like, get your own thing bro. If everyone is trying to be the current "in" thing, then who is out there innovating? When everyone has their own version of the Pro V1, thats when they should drop the hammer and bring out the "Ultra Pro V2 Alpha" and leave everyone scrambling to catch up again.

Definitely one of my least favorite videos types. Generally I will skip these at this point.

Clickbait gets views...

That being said, the Pro-V seems like the right ball to 'benchmark' against given how popular it is and how well it sells.

I hate the videos when these youtube pros are hitting and they stray 6mm off center and talk about the forgiveness. I'd say 99% of the club reviews are worthless for pretty much every regular golfer.

How come every new golf ball has to be the ProV1 killer? Why can't it just stand on its own merits? This might be my number one YouTube golf criticism. What do you hate about YouTube golf?

Red arrows in the thumbnailz

Someone needs to make a buck in retirement...:LOL:

Red arrows in the thumbnailz
I didn’t even notice that and now I can’t see anything else. I never would’ve seen the ball without the arrow.

The whole superlative thing is out of hand. Wanna do a comparison? Cool, I’m interested. The best ______ ever or the best ______ of (insert year)? Yeah I’ll pass on principle. Get your clickbaity money from someone else. One of these days I’m gonna watch a minute and downvote those types of videos. Take that YouTube algorithm!

While it may sound click baitey, every golf ball manufacturer is trying to figure out how to kill the ProV1.

Given that ProV1 is supposedly the No. 1 ball in golf, i.e the biggest seller, it's no surprise to see those click bait titles.

It doesn't bother me only because the click bait part doesn't really register. I assume people will sensationalize such videos, so I'll only watch reviews of products that already have my interest.

Eh I dislike the clickbait but at the same time maybe this ball will work better for some people

It's thumbnails making a weird face with sensationalist text for me.

90% of golf video titles on YouTube are just click bait.

Which makes discerning the useful videos from the “waste of time” videos very difficult.

Titles like “This 2-min adjustment will fix your chipping FOREVER!!” Just ruin it for me. Maybe it has merit but I’m already rolling my eyes before I’m even 5 seconds in.

People go after the ProV because.....

1687818895100.png

I always love the "I dropped 5 shots using this tip" ones.

So if it said 'The #1 ball you should be playing? ' would that be better?

Chrome Soft killer doesn’t give the same vibe.

My issue is that nothing is gonna "kill" the ProV1. It's the industry standard and outsells its competitors by a wide margin. So, choose another verb or headline jargon. Or, maybe, stop with the click bait type titles.

Two in the same day:cautious:

So if it said 'The #1 ball you should be playing? ' would that be better?

How about "Mizuno Tour Golf Balls- Should I make the swap from a Prov1?"

Back