"Jacked" Lofts in 2020

Fun fact, it’s not just SGI irons with stronger lofts, the designs in many players distance irons have necessitated it too.

Ive also never heard someone say they hit their irons too long. I’d sure as hell rather have my 7i in from 185 than my 5i.
Play with me sometime and you’ll hear it. :p I get pissed when I hit my 7 iron 190 and I’m expecting 170. ;)

Play with me sometime and you’ll hear it. :p I get pissed when I hit my 7 iron 190 and I’m expecting 170. ;)
Honestly, that’s called either finding the middle of the face, or needing to just club down. ;):p

Honestly, that’s called either finding the middle of the face, or needing to just club down. ;):p
Yep. I think it’s being new to the game. Consistency just isn’t the norm at this point, but I’m working on it.

Fun fact, it’s not just SGI irons with stronger lofts, the designs in many players distance irons have necessitated it too.

Ive also never heard someone say they hit their irons too long. I’d sure as hell rather have my 7i in from 185 than my 5i.
I'll argue the other side, I've sold an iron set because they were too short distance wise. I have a specific minimum yardage that I want to get to with each set.

I'll argue the other side, I've sold an iron set because they were too short distance wise. I have a specific minimum yardage that I want to get to with each set.
I agree with this. I would have a harder time mentally if my PW started going 10 yards shorter than 10 yards longer

Reactions: KEV
I agree with this. I would have a harder time mentally if my PW started going 10 yards shorter than 10 yards longer
But isn't this what the get off my lawn crowd argues as "tradition" and "precision"?

Why is this thread still going.....???? o_O

But isn't this what the get off my lawn crowd argues as "tradition" and "precision"?
Yep, and I respect their opinion but I'm against that hard headed thought process for the most part. Tradition is great but technology and progress is what moves the world forward.

Yep, and I respect their opinion but I'm against that hard headed thought process for the most part. Tradition is great but technology and progress is what moves the world forward.
Hey, I'm embracing the distance and forgiveness, give me that over tradition any day.

Reactions: KEV
Why not? Insanity is fun.

So too is any golf discussion. ;)

I have no issue with golf discussion, but I don't want to be driven insane by this thread :LOL:

Just give me clubs, I will figure out how far each of them goes and let me play golf ;)

I have no issue with golf discussion, but I don't want to be driven insane by this thread :LOL:

Just give me clubs, I will figure out how far each of them goes and let me play golf ;)
Now you are just talking sane. Stop that shenanigans. LOL

Now you are just talking sane. Stop that shenanigans. LOL

Nooooooooo, I am going to be the voice of reason for a little bit :cool:

Here is an example. Ping Eye 2 versus Mavrik. For example, look at the difference between PW's.

View attachment 8928453

View attachment 8928454

When ping eye 2 came out we were still playing balata balls and shaft technology was not good. I bet if you posted a chart with launch angle and apex the PW’s would be fairly close.

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

There are still hickory tournaments for those who like tradition.

Here is an example. Ping Eye 2 versus Mavrik. For example, look at the difference between PW's.

View attachment 8928453

View attachment 8928454
You can just start at SW, PW, 9 - 2 and cover the bag. But today it's PW, AW, GW, SW. Horses and Courses. Roses and Apples. In the end it is the same results since 1920's. Loft for loft what's the Distance advantage?

I honestly don't see any difference in Distance per loft. Now easier to hit and score. Yes. Playability yes. :drinks:

You can just start at SW, PW, 9 - 2 and cover the bag. But today it's PW, AW, GW, SW. Horses and Courses. Roses and Apples. In the end it is the same results since 1920's. Loft for loft what's the Distance advantage?

I honestly don't see any difference in Distance per loft. Now easier to hit and score. Yes. Playability yes. :drinks:

As I have said, it's just a number on the bottom of the club. Whether it is an old 4-iron or a new 7-iron it really doesn't matter.

As I have said, it's just a number on the bottom of the club. Whether it is an old 4-iron or a new 7-iron it really doesn't matter.
Which is where the head scratching and confusion is coming from.

There are advertising X Clubs are longer. In fact so long that you need to buy 6 Wedges to cover the 60 to 220 yard gaps.

Then some of us have purchased our complete set. 6 Wedges included. After a proper fitting. Which included only a 6 or 7 iron. Not asking about specs or lofts. Innocent and quiet frankly ripe for the taking.

We get home our new set. And every Club after the 7 iron goes the same Distance. 4 iron, 5, 6 iron goes 2 to 3 yards further. The 4 iron is 19 degrees. Opsy. I can't hit a 19 degree 4 iron any better that I can hit a 19 degree 2 iron. But at least when I do hit a Universal driving iron correctly it goes 220 to 240 yards. The new improved SGI 4 iron never gets to 190. Why, because it's a 4 iron?

Then the fitter comes back with his Hybrid wagon. If you only replace your 4, 5, 6 iron with the Hybrids problem solved.

Well, not so fast. Yes they launch higher. And yes they go greater Distances. But since golf is any accuracy game. I am not measuring results by launch angles, ball speed, Distances and lofts.

I only measure the results. Dispersion and accuracy in Distance to desired target.

Ok. Maybe I can spend the next 10 years learning how to properly hit a Hybrids. It took me 30 years to learn how to hit Irons, but at least I am not starting from scratch.

Unfortunately, I am a healthy 57 year old. I don't have 10 years. Who are we kidding? I ten years at 67 I might not be able to get off the couch. Such is real life. I hope I can play. But I don't desire to spend 10 years on a swing change at 57.

Loft jack all you want. But at least provide the 6 thru 4 irons for testing and fitting. I have enough fitted clubs in my garage that simply don't work or fit after a 6 iron.

And I have several sets that work from UDI 2 irons, 3, 4, 5 irons with proper Gapping. Straight out of the box.

Funny thing is, those clubs are Bladed and "traditional " lofts.

But it doesn't matter. Play your best fitting set.

Some of us are thrice bitten, twice shy:drinks:

Now I am checking lofts and specs and lengths :drinks:

@Johan185 your post confused the heck out of me. Are you saying you hit a 41 degree PW 220??? Damn that’s strong

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Who the f**k is having to play 6 wedges?

I'm so confused.

Who the **** is having to play 6 wedges?

I'm so confused.

PW 41, PW46, GW50, SW 54, LW 58, SUPER DUPER FLOP WEDGE 64

@Johan185 your post confused the heck out of me. Are you saying you hit a 41 degree PW 220??? Damn that’s strong

Almost Fiddy Plus 2
No. I am saying that I hit any 41° degree Club the same Distance. Regardless of the Stamping.

I also only hit some 19° degree Club (irons) well. Again regardless of the Stamping.

Some clubs, regardless of the Stamping on the bottom are useless below 28° degrees of loft. In my hands. But these clubs are also not readily available at club fittings.

So this has lead to poor choices in irons above 28° degrees of loft. Again regardless of stamped name.

I can't hit a club below 60° degrees of loft either. Not now or ever:drinks:

Who the **** is having to play 6 wedges?

I'm so confused.

I am as well. My PW is 41 and I am playing 4 wedges (if we found 46 as a wedge) and I could get by with 3.

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Back