Jacket aficionados...

SkiBumGolfer

Tremendous slouch
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody else out there have an irrational love for jackets in general - particularly of the outdoor/technical variety? Hardshells, softshells, wind jackets, ski jackets...I already have more than I need, and for some stupid reason I still want more haha. I don't really have a weakness for clothing, but outerwear is the exception, I just love it. I've always been a huge fan of Arc'teryx gear, particularly hardshells and softshells, but I've more recently developed affinities for Sunice and Marmot as well.

And what's a thread without pics :alien: so here are a couple of my favorites that I own:

Arc'teryx Theta AR hardshell:
Spoiler

f13-theta-ar-jacket-buckeye.jpg

Sunice Burnham Windstopper softshell:
Spoiler

Grey.jpg

Arc'teryx Atom LT insulated jacket (midlayer, outerlayer if dry)
Spoiler

20120703_150145_4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice collection! I am jealous, I like jackets, but they are almost useless in the winter here, as it gets cold for about two weeks. And I cannot take them all with me on ski trips.

Anybody else out there have an irrational love for jackets in general - particularly of the outdoor/technical variety? Hardshells, softshells, wind jackets, ski jackets...I already have more than I need, and for some stupid reason I still want more haha. I don't really have a weakness for clothing, but outerwear is the exception, I just love it. I've always been a huge fan of Arc'teryx gear, particularly hardshells and softshells, but I've more recently developed affinities for Sunice and Marmot as well.

And what's a thread without pics :alien: so here are a couple of my favorites that I own:

Arc'teryx Theta AR hardshell:
Spoiler

f13-theta-ar-jacket-buckeye.jpg

Sunice Burnham Windstopper softshell:
Spoiler

Grey.jpg

Eddie Bauer Microtherm Stormdown down jacket
Spoiler

Eddie-Bauer.png

That Arc'teryx is sweet!!

My love is more 1/4 zips, but understand the love. GG has one for light weight jackets and has like 50.

Have long pondered a Sunice Windstopper.

i used to be a hoodie sweatshirt fanatic...have been good on that part lately...starting to get into 1/4 or 1/2 zips, but have been trying to not buy many but it might be hard with my brother working for a sporting good store and some good discounts. might end up picking up a few UAs

I hate jackets with a passion. I will only wear a jacket is it's freezing cold outside. I have two that I wear 1 is a real nice Karbon that is good until -60C and the other is a SunIce Canadian Olympic jacket with all the sponsor logos on it.

Oh I have a leather jacket I wear from time to time but 90% of the time I go no jacket and no long sleeves I hate those as well. When JB made the comment in the drinking at work thread about working naked I thought sign me up.

My love is more 1/4 zips, but understand the love. GG has one for light weight jackets and has like 50.

I am a big fan of 1/4 zips as well - been pondering those Bobby Jones ones for a while. And yeah, I could have that many softshells haha

Have long pondered a Sunice Windstopper.

They are awesome and super versatile. I've worn mine in weather anywhere from mid 30's (with layers) all the way up to the 60's.

That Arc'teryx is sweet!!

Thanks Jon! I have an older insulated ski jacket, but I picked this up to have a more versatile layering system (since it's just a shell) and because the "waterproofing" on the older jacket just was not cutting it in Washington hahaha. Gore-Tex is king.

I hate jackets with a passion. I will only wear a jacket is it's freezing cold outside. I have two that I wear 1 is a real nice Karbon that is good until -60C and the other is a SunIce Canadian Olympic jacket with all the sponsor logos on it.

Oh I have a leather jacket I wear from time to time but 90% of the time I go no jacket and no long sleeves I hate those as well. When JB made the comment in the drinking at work thread about working naked I thought sign me up.

Haha well we will just have to agree to disagree :act-up:

I can understand it though. I definitely prefer to golf sans jacket if weather permits, and I will run in shorts and a short sleeve shirt even if it's 35F or 40F outside.

I love 1/4 zips and try and pick them up when I can. My wife however does not like that hobby so sadly my collection is not very large. Still try and snag one here and there when there is good deals.

I think I only have a dozen or so. Wife won't let me have any more.

I got a nice Helley Hansen last year that I adore. The attention to detail in its engineering is head and shoulders above other jackets I've owned.

Big Helly Hanson fan off the course and Sunice on the course.

Couple favorites in the closet:

Sunice Orito
s12003_0226-front.png

Then for the slopes I have the HH Velocity

HH-m-velocity-blackred.jpg

Have a couple other Helly Hansen rain jackets and shells, but they're pretty basic need here on the East Coast.

I think I only have a dozen or so. Wife won't let me have any more.
I don't have a dozen yet...hooray, that means I can buy more right?? :act-up:

Big Helly Hanson fan off the course and Sunice on the course.

Couple favorites in the closet:

Sunice Orito

Then for the slopes I have the HH Velocity

Have a couple other Helly Hansen rain jackets and shells, but they're pretty basic need here on the East Coast.

Pretty sick stable there, Ghost! That GoreTex Sunice is awesome - I've always wanted one of their waterproof jackets. HH makes some awesome stuff too, but I've never owned any.

I love jackets but my problem is I run extremely hot! So the second I get inside somewhere I have to take it off or die of heat.

I don't have any of the cool, big name brands. Just stuff I can get through my work.

I'm currently wearing a nice, light jacket from Holloway. Holloway is a sports team (especially basketball) driven company but they make some nice stuff.

I've never been a jacket guy at all, but I swear by a good fleece.

I don't have a dozen yet...hooray, that means I can buy more right?? :act-up:

Pretty sick stable there, Ghost! That GoreTex Sunice is awesome - I've always wanted one of their waterproof jackets. HH makes some awesome stuff too, but I've never owned any.

I highly recommend Sunice waterproof stuff. Plus Gortex having a lifetime waterproof warranty helps justify the price some.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I love jackets but my problem is I run extremely hot! So the second I get inside somewhere I have to take it off or die of heat.

I don't have any of the cool, big name brands. Just stuff I can get through my work.

I'm currently wearing a nice, light jacket from Holloway. Holloway is a sports team (especially basketball) driven company but they make some nice stuff.
I used to have an Eagles winter pullover jacket when I was a kid that was totally awesome. Those sports team driven companies actually tend to make pretty damn solid stuff.

I highly recommend Sunice waterproof stuff. Plus Gortex having a lifetime waterproof warranty helps justify the price some.

Oh yeah, GoreTex is the best waterproof stuff so it's worth the price. Arc'teryx is the same way, the price is a bit painful at first but you can be assured you're getting a bomber product.

I used to have an Eagles winter pullover jacket when I was a kid that was totally awesome. Those sports team driven companies actually tend to make pretty damn solid stuff.

It's definitely not a "weather" jacket by any means but awesome for 40° weather

Oh yeah, GoreTex is the best waterproof stuff so it's worth the price. Arc'teryx is the same way, the price is a bit painful at first but you can be assured you're getting a bomber product.

Arc'teryx is fantastic stuff, Crazy how lightweight and packable they keep everything.

If I'm looking at a rain jacket would you guys recommend spending more right off the bat? I'm looking at either the $50 Nike Storm Fit or the $50 Adidas jacket but I can't help but wonder if I'd be better off just getting a $150 GoreTex jacket of some sort?
I don't plan on wearing it very often, but I don't want to sweat underneath everytime I put it on either.

If I'm looking at a rain jacket would you guys recommend spending more right off the bat? I'm looking at either the $50 Nike Storm Fit or the $50 Adidas jacket but I can't help but wonder if I'd be better off just getting a $150 GoreTex jacket of some sort?
I don't plan on wearing it very often, but I don't want to sweat underneath everytime I put it on either.

Do you know what the $50 jackets are made of? The North Face one I wore golfing last week is just a 2.5 layer polyurethane and cost me about 70 bucks. The biggest difference between a cheaper one and a Gore Tex one is that the GT will usually be fully seam taped - meaning there will not be any leaking if it was done correctly. A cheaper jacket will eventually leak through the seams after the face fabric has wetted out.

Short answer, the cheaper one will do you fine as long as a slight dampness doesn't bother you. If you want to stay totally dry, GoreTex and their guarantee are your best bet.

Sidenote, where are you finding a GoreTex jacket for $150? That is a steal.

Do you know what the $50 jackets are made of? The North Face one I wore golfing last week is just a 2.5 layer polyurethane and cost me about 70 bucks. The biggest difference between a cheaper one and a Gore Tex one is that the GT will usually be fully seam taped - meaning there will not be any leaking if it was done correctly. A cheaper jacket will eventually leak through the seams after the face fabric has wetted out.

Short answer, the cheaper one will do you fine as long as a slight dampness doesn't bother you. If you want to stay totally dry, GoreTex and their guarantee are your best bet.

Sidenote, where are you finding a GoreTex jacket for $150? That is a steal.

Good ol' eBay, although the ad was a bit non-descript.

I find every jacket regardless of price says the same things:
"seam-sealed"
"fully breathable"
"comfortable"
"engineered/warranty/blah blah blah"

Either they are all really good, or it's all marketing mumbo jumbo right? I think I'll just spring for the Nike Storm-Fit as its $100 for jacket and pants and should meet my needs just fine.

Living in the northeast a good winter jacket is a must. I own several North Face jackets which I love.

1. North Face Hyvent tri-climate for skiing and went it is really asty with rain
2. North face heavier fleece. Not sure on the name but it has 2 chest pockets and 2 on the arms with a thicker material on half the arms and upper part of the chest(not a Denali fleece)
3. North face denail fleece
4. North face apex jacket

As for pullovers I have a gore tex 1/2 zip Adidas shell which doubles as a wind breaker, a 1/4 zip Adidas light weight 2nd layer, a north face light weight 1/4 zip base layer and a marmot biking jacket with zip off sleeves.

wow after reading above I have a lot of technical gear. I am not even touching on my dressier jackets from J.Crew, etc.

Back