Johnny Manziel and the PGA Tour

No, I understood that, and my thoughts still stand, no chance in hell. 2 to qualifying is a distance the size of the Grand Canyon apart, and at 28 he doesn’t have that time.
Oh I never said it’s not an impossible hill to climb, just that some folks were saying he has no chance of qualifying for the pga tour, and that’s not what he said

"If" he ever qualifies for a tour event the media will be all over him, then we'll see the Johnny we've all seen in the past.

One of my first thoughts were that it would take at least 12 years to get his golf mental game together.

Actually I was just surprised to see his name resurface, and mentioned in connection with golf.

His chances of Monday qualifying for just one event would be astronomical. The talent that has t made it to the tour that relies on qualifying is so far advanced from scratch.

I don’t think he could qualify. The gap between where he is with his game and the PGA tour is great. A sponsor’s exemption maybe, but not qualifying.

I don’t see Johnny making a tour event on his own golfing merit. I could see someone see a money grab opportunity and give him a sponsor exemption. I could see him get a spot in a pro-am. I’m sure he’s a very good golfer with all the time and money he has, but I don’t see this. He’s never been a “mechanics” guy.

all that said I’d love to see John Daly, and John Manziel team up in a pro am. The cigarette smog from that group would cause an air quality advisory.

If he means. To truly qualify for an event. It’s never going to happen.

But a sponsors exemptions could. Tony Romo have gotten a few of those.

Gary Woodland played basketball at Kansas I recall hearing. Could you imagine if he now declared he wanted to play in the NBA? Golf is the only sport that I'm aware of where ametuers compare ourselfs to pro's. I guess the beauty of golf is we can always hope for improvement tomorrow whereas other sports you know your window was closed
As an “athlete” in college (scare quotes are purely self deprecating 😏) I would regularly compare myself to professionals. It was a primary factor in making sure I got my a$$ to class and graduated 😜

I say good for him. The golf world needs a skinny version of John Daly back in the mix

Possible yes however tremendously unlikely. There are a couple of examples of golfers that started late and became successful. I would argue that even though Manziel screwed up his NFL career he does understand how to work hard. You don’t make it as a D1 athlete without understanding how to work hard. Manziell is obviously a world class athlete although that is not always a requirement to be a world class golfer. I would be very surprised if it happens. I would say he might have a better chance if his goal was to win a US Mid Am and get himself into The Masters.

I am well aware of that. It would be like comparing a 15 HI to a scratch golfer. But 12 years is a long time for someone with a lot of athletic ability to improve their golf game.

I’ve seen enough of Football Johnny to know that he may qualify on a sponsors exemption but that’s about it. Same way a lot of other pro athletes from different sports have.

A casual 2HC may have the skills, but if he’s a casual 2 that’s because he doesn’t care. He hasn’t been busy enough professionally to be a casual 2. If he is it’s becuase he doesn’t want it.

Now if he’s a serious 2, that’s another story. No, he won’t ever be good enough. I was a +2 at one point and a guy that was trying to make the then Senior Tour beat me every single time we played. I’m talking back tees on 7200+ courses.

He didn’t make it either. At 70 now he’s still hitting it 270 and playing to a solid + level.

Gary Woodland played basketball at Kansas I recall hearing. Could you imagine if he now declared he wanted to play in the NBA? Golf is the only sport that I'm aware of where ametuers compare ourselfs to pro's. I guess the beauty of golf is we can always hope for improvement tomorrow whereas other sports you know your window was closed
FYI Woodland played basketball at Washburn before leaving to play golf at KU. Big difference between KU and Washburn.

Possible yes however tremendously unlikely. There are a couple of examples of golfers that started late and became successful. I would argue that even though Manziel screwed up his NFL career he does understand how to work hard. You don’t make it as a D1 athlete without understanding how to work hard. Manziell is obviously a world class athlete although that is not always a requirement to be a world class golfer. I would be very surprised if it happens. I would say he might have a better chance if his goal was to win a US Mid Am and get himself into The Masters.

completely agree with this. Would love to see him try to compete in usga amateur events and in the rare instance he were to play well he’d have a shot at not only the Masters but the US Open as well.

As an “athlete” in college (scare quotes are purely self deprecating 😏) I would regularly compare myself to professionals. It was a primary factor in making sure I got my a$$ to class and graduated 😜

right on, I did not play college athletics but when in HighSchool I had multiple encounter watching and playing against some average college guys. I was better then 85% of people on earth but they were 300% better then I was and they could not play professional basketball or even be in a conversation.

PGA tour pro's are a population of maybe 500 in an 8billion person world. that means they are freaks. For anyone to be in that population, no matter how athlelic, is less likely then being hit by lightning on the course

God please let this happen!!!

Well of course.

I just don’t see it unless a sponsors exemption.

Unless he gets in, is leading on Saturday night, then gets arrested with a bunch of hookers and coke and misses his tee time Sunday. Lots of mugshots.

I’m sorry if this doesn’t fit the current JM, but it fits the one I knew.

Because by the time you’re 25+ you’ve missed THOUSANDS of hours of practice and commitment to learning a craft.

A ton of people do t realize how different the game they play is, even the worst Tour player is on a totally different plane of ability and skill. Standing next to one of them hitting golf balls is beyond humbling for someone who even thinks they’re a good amateur.

Tour talent is rare. Just like NFL, NBA, NHL, and whatever other pro sport, it’s rare. People should always think the best of themselves and their potential, but not everyone can do what professionals do, in fact only 1% or so can.

Point taken! Definitely makes sense.

A run at the big boys, maybe. Mini tour life, not so much. The average rookie who finally made it to the tour used to be like 33-34. But that’s when they finally made it to the PGA Tour, not when they started professional golf. If they started out of college, that was 12-13 years before making it. If Manzel is already that far behind the 8 ball, he’s better off saying he’s gonna make a champions tour run lol

That would be a sight to see! Money Manziel on the Champions tour lol

Manziel is buddies with the Golf Subpar guys so I will be interested to see if they comment on Manziel. I know he plays with them and Colt Knost obviously knows what it takes to make it to the tour.

The chances of him making it are very slim. He is a good golfer but it is very hard to play up to that level.

Maybe if he strikes lighting in a bottle for a few rounds, he could qualify for the US Open, so technically a PGA Tour event.

If I was Johnny, and that was my goal, I’d have kept it to myself to avoid the grief he’s getting from the media and internet crowd. Having a dream and being able to go for it is great. I’d think that most of the guys who try and don’t make it to the tour run out of money to keep playing full time. Talent wise, I’m sure there are thousands of guys who have the skills but can’t play under the constant pressure of having to cash a check to pay the bills. If he made enough cash in his short football career to finance his dream, I wish him well.

Not likely but in the meantime I hope he gets a sponsor exception and then flames out missing the cut by by double digits.

Given that he has the one thing that a lot of guys who try to make the PGA Tour lack ($$$) and he has time, I think he has the potential. If he gets good enough some PGA Tour event in Texas will throw him a sponsors invite just for the fans. Plenty of people either love or hate him enough they might make it worth their price of admission.

Back