Johnny Manziel and the PGA Tour

No, I understood that, and my thoughts still stand, no chance in hell. 2 to qualifying is a distance the size of the Grand Canyon apart, and at 28 he doesn’t have that time.
Man I love your passion on this forum, you f-ing argue anyone’s point or opinion anytime you see fit that doesn’t align with yours!

Because by the time you’re 25+ you’ve missed THOUSANDS of hours of practice and commitment to learning a craft.

A ton of people do t realize how different the game they play is, even the worst Tour player is on a totally different plane of ability and skill. Standing next to one of them hitting golf balls is beyond humbling for someone who even thinks they’re a good amateur.

Tour talent is rare. Just like NFL, NBA, NHL, and whatever other pro sport, it’s rare. People should always think the best of themselves and their potential, but not everyone can do what professionals do, in fact only 1% or so can.
While I agree with you completely, I'd guess that it's significantly less than 1% that succeed in pro sports - especially the PGA Tour. From what I could find with a quick search, there are around 25 million golfers in the U.S. alone. If we're going to figure 150 golfers on the PGA Tour, that would put the percentage at <*does math*> 0.0006%, even considering U.S. golfers only.

Johnny has never been known for good practice habits and putting his nose to the grindstone. He's playing in the FCF (Fan-Controlled Football League) now and doing all his other Johnny Manziel things, I don't know where he figures he's going to factor in the practice and commitment it would take to have a sniff at qualifying for even a Korn Ferry event, let alone a PGA Tour event. Tony Romo is a + handicap (+1.6 in 2020, from what I can find), has gotten into a couple opposite field Tour events on sponsor's exemptions, and has gotten absolutely smoked every time.

I think Manziel is highly underestimating the amount of talent, dedication and practice it would take to get from where he is to where he plans to be. Maybe they should feature him in one of those celebrity matches with a couple PGA Tour pros - it would be a quick wake-up call for him if he actually played alongside them and saw first-hand how big the divide is between him and them. Don't even make it with superstars, put him out there with a couple guys who are fighting to keep their Tour cards and struggling to make cuts most weekends - even those guys are in a whole different universe than he is.

If I was Johnny, and that was my goal, I’d have kept it to myself to avoid the grief he’s getting from the media and internet crowd. Having a dream and being able to go for it is great. I’d think that most of the guys who try and don’t make it to the tour run out of money to keep playing full time. Talent wise, I’m sure there are thousands of guys who have the skills but can’t play under the constant pressure of having to cash a check to pay the bills. If he made enough cash in his short football career to finance his dream, I wish him well.
He came from wealth before he even stepped onto a football field so money has never been an issue for him.

Man I love your passion on this forum, you f-ing argue anyone’s point or opinion anytime you see fit that doesn’t align with yours!
It’s called conversation, there are two sides to each and having a differing opinion is part of that. Just because someone had or presents another side doesn’t mean it’s arguing.

Now, this is twice you’ve tried to take something that has apparently rubbed you personally the wrong way, though I still can’t figure out what. If you have a problem though, feel free to PM me I’m always accessible.

It’s called conversation, there are two sides to each and having a differing opinion is part of that. Just because someone had or presents another side doesn’t mean it’s arguing.

Now, this is twice you’ve tried to take something that has apparently rubbed you personally the wrong way, though I still can’t figure out what. If you have a problem though, feel free to PM me I’m always accessible.

Would be cool to see someone dedicate and make a run at it after a "career" in another sport.

Hope he has cleaned up his act/stays clean, an immense amount of talent that just gets wasted is such a shame

Would be cool to see someone dedicate and make a run at it after a "career" in another sport.

Hope he has cleaned up his act/stays clean, an immense amount of talent that just gets wasted is such a shame

he hasn’t cleaned up his act per say lol. He’s got a podcast, that’s an interesting listen with some random friend of his. I’m not sure who.

Anyway, he chain smokes cigarettes, smokes joints, drinks beer all on the podcast. It’s on YouTube. I think what’s important for him is staying away from the hard stuff but I’m not so sure with that lifestyle we can assume that he does. He does seem to be a bit more mature at this point, I’ll give him credit for that. But this is why I wouldn’t expect him to be able to compete at a us open qualifier. I know Ryan Armour has won my local one a couple of times and he’s a legit tour player.

But to qualify for one event or get a sponsors exemption , I think he could get lucky one time. I will never underestimate what someone can do with millions of dollars at their disposal.

Not sure staying clean and being a top level golfer need to go hand in hand, DJ has ripped lines all the way to being the #1 golfer in the world haha

I give even money on a Sponsor's exemption at a Korn Ferry event.

Here is Johny Football's GHIN revisions and scores. Looks like he hasn't posted since December.
IMG_4058.PNG
.IMG_4059.PNGIMG_4057.PNG

If he would count a sponsor’s exemption as “qualifying” for the purpose of meeting his goal, the odds get considerably better. If a sponsor thinks a player would draw fans/viewers, they’ll get them out there whether they belong or not.

2 handicap and Tour aren’t even in the same Galaxy.

This. Here is Duval’s HC. And he can’t get into the vast majority of tournaments. Good luck Johnny Fireball

320fb7ba0a7f4c606de2a400365beb0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Here is Duval’s HC. And he can’t get into the vast majority of tournaments. Good luck Johnny Fireball

320fb7ba0a7f4c606de2a400365beb0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny Fireball might be the best one I’ve heard yet :ROFLMAO:

I think it is good he has dreams and something that is pushing him forward. If his goal is to qualify for or get into one professional event, I assume he is thinking more along the lines of a Tony Romo type situation. I took a look some videos of him playing in the last year. I think he is really getting by on his athleticism. His technique has a long long way to go, even to rise to Romos level.
I heard someone say (can’t remember who but it was a famous golf person) that the difference between a scratch golfer and a tournament professional, is about the same as a 18 handicapper and a scratch player.

I wish him the best.
On another note, who makes it into a PGA or Korn Ferry tour event first, Mansiel or Kyle Berkshire?

Sounds like he is not trying to make the tour, but just qualify for a tournament on tour. With that goal, yes he has a chance, but no way I can envision him having the work ethic and dedication to make it as even a mini tour player. Still, I would give it less than a 10% chance to even qualify for an event with today's talent.

Sounds like he is not trying to make the tour, but just qualify for a tournament on tour. With that goal, yes he has a chance, but no way I can envision him having the work ethic and dedication to make it as even a mini tour player. Still, I would give it less than a 10% chance to even qualify for an event with today's talent.
I still think he has zero chance of qualifying on his own for PGA or Korn Ferry event. Only way he has a chance is a sponsors invite.

According to an article in Bleacher Report, Johnny Manziel has established a goal of qualifying for a PGA Tour event within the next 12 years.

He says he’s a longtime golf aficionado, and in an interview last May he claimed to be a 2 handicap. He says he’s improved since then and now plays most rounds around even par. He won a charity long drive competition last year with a 356 yard carry.

Two lines of thought here. He’s athletically gifted, which is in his favor. On the other hand, it takes an incredible amount of talent and dedication beyond just pure athleticism to qualify for a PGA Tour event. Color me skeptical.

Does anybody have any faith in “Johnny Football” becoming “Johnny Golfball”?
I remember he claimed to be an NFL caliber QB once too.:D

I think it is good he has dreams and something that is pushing him forward. If his goal is to qualify for or get into one professional event, I assume he is thinking more along the lines of a Tony Romo type situation. I took a look some videos of him playing in the last year. I think he is really getting by on his athleticism. His technique has a long long way to go, even to rise to Romos level.
I heard someone say (can’t remember who but it was a famous golf person) that the difference between a scratch golfer and a tournament professional, is about the same as a 18 handicapper and a scratch player.

I wish him the best.
On another note, who makes it into a PGA or Korn Ferry tour event first, Mansiel or Kyle Berkshire?
Berkshire in a landslide on that one

According to an article in Bleacher Report, Johnny Manziel has established a goal of qualifying for a PGA Tour event within the next 12 years.

He says he’s a longtime golf aficionado, and in an interview last May he claimed to be a 2 handicap. He says he’s improved since then and now plays most rounds around even par. He won a charity long drive competition last year with a 356 yard carry.

Two lines of thought here. He’s athletically gifted, which is in his favor. On the other hand, it takes an incredible amount of talent and dedication beyond just pure athleticism to qualify for a PGA Tour event. Color me skeptical.

Does anybody have any faith in “Johnny Football” becoming “Johnny Golfball”?

Absolutely not! Back in the day of persimmon woods and wound balata balls, I worked my way to playing par golf. Even broke par every so often, and this was from the tips. Still, I knew I wasn't good enough to be on the Tour! Par shooters starve on the Tour! You have to be a plus handicapper to even have a chance. And you have to be that good no matter where you play!

Unless he has completely changed between his ears, nope.

And he has not. One of the owners of the football team he now plays for quoted him as saying, "Even when we lose, we booze!"

Johnny Fireball might be the best one I’ve heard yet :ROFLMAO:

Here in northern Ohio we've named him Johnny Lastcall!

This made me laugh...absolutely not.

Has any pro athlete ever been a total bust in two sports?

The FL QB - TIM TEBOW - comes to mind - football and baseball and he just retired from baseball.

Should have been a safety or LB.

Last edited:
No chance this happens. Maybe the Champions Tour when eligible if he really dedicates himself until then. Plus I don't want to see it happen. Dude has proved on numerous occasions to be a train wreck.

I still think it's possible, if he puts in the work. Look at Romo and Curry. I have a friend who started playing golf 3 years ago. He plays the MP-20's, is a 3 HI, and is a legit 300+ yards off the tee. Sure, he is an outlier, but they are out there.

I don't really care, but....

I still think it's possible, if he puts in the work. Look at Romo and Curry. I have a friend who started playing golf 3 years ago. He plays the MP-20's, is a 3 HI, and is a legit 300+ yards off the tee. Sure, he is an outlier, but they are out there.
On tour, -3 handicappers get to help out in the tour truck, they're not even caddies.

It is interesting, golf may be the only sport where people think they're just some practice time away from being professional caliber.

Back