i have probably said that gruden was an idiot for saying what he said in almost every response. you do you what do but you are inferring something pretty sh***y right there.
Well you've been asked multiple times in this thread what pointing to other extreme examples has to do with Gruden? I still don't understand your point.

Those wrongs don't make Gruden right, the only reason to point to more extreme examples would be to relieve pressure off of Gruden...I guess, I still don't understand your position. Do you think Gruden should still be an NFL coach for the Raiders or not?

Last edited:
can you point out gruden's "trend" of being a racist POS....i am not aware of it.
I am most certainly not defending the stuff Gruden said, but you keep saying Racist POS, and at least as of now, most everyone who has worked with him over the years have come out and said they never once thought of him as a racist or had any experience with him that would make them think that. Now, I am not saying stuff won't come out now and it turns out he really is a racist POS, but to continue to emphasize that part, at least for now, seems a bit excessive.
Alright, I'll amend. Over the span of 7 years, Jon Gruden said a mixture of racist, misogynist, and homophobic things and that makes him a POS.

Well you've been asked multiple times in this thread what pointing to other extreme examples has to do with Gruden? I still don't understand your point.

Two wrongs don't make a right, the only reason to point to more extreme examples would be to relieve pressure off of Gruden...I guess, I still don't understand your position. Do you think Gruden should still be an NFL coach for the Raiders or not?
no reason to respond to you anymore...doesno good for me. you can think what you want of me.

my last question would be: if gruden did the apology tour, like many other shave done, would you be ok with him keeping his job?

if gruden did the apology tour, like many other shave done, would you be ok with him keeping his job?
This is always a compelling question for me. I generally believe that people should have a second chance if they go through the “apology tour” and a rehabilitation process. I would be in favor of a suspension with potential for future reinstatement after rehabilitation. Now I know nothing about what that process should or would look like and maybe I’m being naive, but that is my thought on the matter.

my last question would be: if gruden did the apology tour, like many other shave done, would you be ok with him keeping his job?
There's a big difference between an apology tour and admitting that there is some deep seeded issues regarding race, gender, and sexuality within our own biases. Confronting the worst parts of ourselves is hard. Anybody who does that should be commended.

no reason to respond to you anymore...doesno good for me. you can think what you want of me.

Well, I mean it absolutely does something for you. If I've mischaracterized what you've said, I'm asking for you to clarify and state your actual position, so I haven't in turn mischaracterized you, and I'll happily apologize. I'm fine being wrong in how I've comprehended your posts, it happens all the time on here. It's tough to get tone and understand peoples thoughts on a forum sometimes.

I'll happily answer your question. Nope, it would change absolutely anything for me. Still totally fine with him being forced into resignation (assuming that is what happened here). I think he made some giant mistakes here. I would never send any email of any variety talking about my CEO in the context that he did with the language he used. He didn't make these comments out of some dorm room back in his college days. He did it when he was well within his professional career and pretty respected, so no it doesn't change my personal stance on any of it in that hypothetical.

This is always a compelling question for me. I generally believe that people should have a second chance if they go through the “apology tour” and a rehabilitation process. I would be in favor of a suspension with potential for future reinstatement after rehabilitation. Now I know nothing about what that process should or would look like and maybe I’m being naive, but that is my thought on the matter.
I think this is a fair take as well. I'm not saying he should never get a coaching job again in his life. I'm not damning him by any means, if another team wants to pick him up after a process such as RealPretend is laying out I'm totally fine with that. I don't necessarily see him as some giant POS that can't change his ways, but I'm ok with the punishment here. I think the punishment he got to willingly resign fits the crime here.

There's a big difference between an apology tour and admitting that there is some deep seeded issues regarding race, gender, and sexuality within our own biases. Confronting the worst parts of ourselves is hard. Anybody who does that should be commended.

People have thoughts and biases...That is part of life. Right, wrong, indifferent. Whatever those are. They also when made public have consequences.

With that said, the idea that someone else should control those thoughts is pretty scary, regardless of how appropriate or even flat out offensive or wrong they are. I mean Christ, to think of some of things THPers have said here over the years.

People have thoughts and biases...That is part of life. Right, wrong, indifferent. Whatever those are. They also when made public have consequences.

With that said, the idea that someone else should control those thoughts is pretty scary, regardless of how appropriate or even flat out offensive or wrong they are. I mean Christ, to think of some of things THPers have said here over the years.
Yea, I'm definitely struggling with the fact that he used a personal account to send these emails, and then that personal account basically became public. I don't love that piece at all, but with Social Media and just the world we live in today, I'm starting to realize that really nothing you type into a technical device is private and ESPECIALLY as any form of celebrity. It just ain't, so you run a risk anytime you do it. I don't love that, but it's starting to become all too true.

Well, I mean it absolutely does something for you.
nah, i'm good. i thought i got my point across with my post's, if i didn't then i didn't. i don't want to be inferred to being some racist POS for having a different perspective then others.

we are good (y)

I might be missing it, but I dont think anybody here at least has said that, right?
I think an unfortunately telling part of the way the world works today, is that a group of people who interact regularly, often in person, feel the need to reiterate that they don't agree with stupid things people said to preface every post they make to discuss someone saying stupid things.

I think bias, like best pizza toppings, sports team preferences, Thanksgiving side dishes, companies who make the best driver, etc are all pretty harmless biases. Emailing the sort of crap Gruden did, in confidence because he thought they would never get out, are abhorrent and show a lack of humanity that needs to be eradicated from society. That's my bias and I'm ok with it.

• Sad
Reactions: JB
This is just my personal opinion, and I want to state again I am not defending what was written, but you call the commissioner some pretty foul things, and he will make sure he has your job. I don't really think there needs to be much more behind it then that.
As an old boss of mine used to say: It's good to be the King.

I'm beginning to think I'm in a critical race theory class here ...

As I understand it, he said those things 10 years ago. Find me one person on this planet who never said anything untoward...including those who called for his firing. The rabbit hole is real, and it seems that is where we are headed...

I think bias...
Let me add, I don't think what Gruden emailed should be outlawed and there should be no legal ramifications to his emails.

I think he is saying that "1984" is here but it's not the government, it's your neighbor with the cell phone or your old emails. Trust no one.
Ive always had the policy that i wouldnt put anything in a text or an email that i wouldnt want the whole world to see. As an attorney i make a point of never sharing confidential information regarding a case or client via text or email even to the client themself. And it looks like now this is going to be become a problem for people and a trend regarding anything they email. Twitter posts are public and people who post there should assume what they say could come back to haunt them. Now conversations via email people think are with friends or anyone for that matter can start being used against them. Thinking about it whoever was in that email thread with Jon Gruden will they have a problem if they failed to condemn his comments in the thread or didnt respond. I think this could be the beginning of an avalanche of these type of situations. What i am particularly interested in is who leaked these emails of an internal NFL investigation to the NY Times and why and what emails involving others did they not leak and why. This will interesting as it plays out.

As I understand it, he said those things 10 years ago. Find me one person on this planet who never said anything untoward...including those who called for his firing. The rabbit hole is real, and it seems that is where we are headed...
The emails were from a 7 year period from 2011 to 2018.

Let me add, I don't think what Gruden emailed should be outlawed and there should be no legal ramifications to his emails.
I'll admit I haven't dug deep into this story or seen all the emails - but from the few excerpts I've seen so far, I don't even disagree with what he said (none of them I've seen so far have been even in the least bit racist, fwiw). It may have been a little coarse for tender ears, but he wasn't wrong about any of it, from what I've seen so far. I reserve the right to change my opinion if/when I see more of the emails.

Last edited:
perfectly said....BUT...if an employer deems those emails detrimental to their company, brand etc they have every right to fire that person.

Knock on wood if you’re with me!😆

I'll admit I haven't dug deep into this story or seen all the emails - but from the few excerpts I've seen so far, I don't even disagree with what he said (none of them I've seen so far have been even in the least bit racist, fwiw). It may have been a little coarse for tender ears, but he wasn't wrong about any of it, from what I've seen so far. I reserve the right to change my opinion if/when I see more of the emails.

People should be allow to delete their email history just like Hillary Clinton.

if you're calling someone a name like, gruden called goodell, but that person is not of that persuasion, then is it really homophobic?

gruden made 2 mistakes, according to the TMZ article. 1, he criticized the all powerful goodell. 2, he took a shot at biden and obama.

Back