Kobe Bryant Killed in a Helicopter Crash

I stand by what I said yesterday, much of what is wrong in today’s society news creation and consumption wise is the fault of TMZ.
And for the most part it started with the Tiger scandal. They reported it first and the “main stream” news media didn’t jump on it bc no one knew or thought TMZ would have that kind of “scoop”. Ever since the. It’s “we’ll throw **** on twitter just to be first and correct later if we have to”

this reporting doesn't happen if there's no market for it. While it's not how some might live their life, there are people that choose to "live or die" off this information for whatever reason. We live in a world that changes moment to moment in some industries and unfortunately, the bad out shines the good alot.

All this also reminds me I ******* hate TMZ and social media clickbait hounds.

So sad, but let the things work their way out before you blast it everywhere for clicks. Have some damn decency.

Agreed, there are times when news doesn't have to be released instantly. Imagine all of the family affected by this.

Still absolutely shocked by this. I can’t believe it.

It may be a little more complicated, it sounds like they tried to climb to get above clouds, and then may have had some type of mechanical. They were descending at 4000 ft/minute at impact.

As with all things, it may be best to avoid conclusion until after all of the information is complete.

Agreed. Trust me. As an airline pilot for over 20 years the last thing I do is listen to the media when it comes to aviation.
Here's the thing though. I've had friends die from CFIT accidents when I first started training and building my hours. I've had a few close calls early in my training with the weather. I deal with mountainous terrain often in my job. The company is also mandated to train us annually with CFIT in ground school and the simulator. I know a case of CFIT when I see it. This has that written all over it.

Could they have had a mechanical issue? Possibly. We'll wait for the TSB report on that one but I highly doubt it. CFIT continues to plague the industry and that helicopter is as safe as they come. Not saying it didn't happen just unlikely.

Here's the thing with aviation accidents or incidents. It's never one particular item that causes the accident. It's a sequence of events that go uncorrected before the accident or incident. It's called the swiss cheese model and it's taught to pilots through CRM (crew resource management). We get it taught annually to us at my airline and I teach it to college kids here at a local college. It's based on the TEM model. The threat error model. Basically there are threats out there that we have to manage for a successful outcome. There are also errors that we will make as humans that need to be recognized and corrected for a successful outcome. Threats in this case would have been the weather, terrain, pressures to get the passengers to their destination, etc... Errors would have been not accounting for the weather, turning towards the hill, etc.... So these threats and errors have to managed properly. Several elements are generally in place to deal with them. These would be the layers of "cheese". Each in place to stop the negative outcome. Company procedures, proper briefings, ATC are all different levels of cheese. When one procedure fails, it pokes a hole in it (hence swiss cheese) and the next level is designed to stop it. The last line of defence is the crew or in this case, the one pilot. When all the defence mechanisms fail, each piece of cheese has a hole poked in it and the accident happens. It's basic but it is how it works. I could write pages on this in more detail but that is generally the basic of it.

So in this case, without assuming too much, even if that helicopter had a mechanical issue there were several other threats and errors that went uncorrected or unmanaged that could have avoided this terrible tragedy.

Edited to add the Swiss cheese diagram.
df985c9af7500275b5912f227b8bd9ad.jpg

Last edited:
I have always hated riding in Helo’s. Always seems a lot more vulnerable than fixed wing.

Agreed. Trust me. As an airline pilot for over 20 years the last thing I do is listen to the media when it comes to aviation.
Here's the thing though. I've had friends die from CFIT accidents when I first started training and building my hours. I've had a few close calls early in my training with the weather. I deal with mountainous terrain often in my job. The company is also mandated to train us annually with CFIT in ground school and the simulator. I know a case of CFIT when I see it. This has that written all over it.

Could they have had a mechanical issue? Possibly. We'll wait for the TSB report on that one but I highly doubt it. CFIT continues to plague the industry and that helicopter is as safe as they come. Not saying it didn't happen just unlikely.

Here's the thing with aviation accidents or incidents. It's never one particular item that causes the accident. It's a sequence of events that go uncorrected before the accident or incident. It's called the swiss cheese model and it's taught to pilots through CRM (crew resource management). We get it taught annually to us at my airline and I teach it to college kids here at a local college. It's based on the TEM model. The threat error model. Basically there are threats out there that we have to manage for a successful outcome. There are also errors that we will make as humans that need to be recognized and corrected for a successful outcome. Threats in this case would have been the weather, terrain, pressures to get the passengers to their destination, etc... Errors would have been not accounting for the weather, turning towards the hill, etc.... So these threats and errors have to managed properly. Several elements are generally in place to deal with them. These would be the layers of "cheese". Each in place to stop the negative outcome. Company procedures, proper briefings, ATC are all different levels of cheese. When one procedure fails, it pokes a hole in it (hence swiss cheese) and the next level is designed to stop it. The last line of defence is the crew or in this case, the one pilot. When all the defence mechanisms fail, each piece of cheese has a hole poked in it and the accident happens. It's basic but it is how it works. I could write pages on this in more detail but that is generally the basic of it.

So in this case, without assuming too much, even if that helicopter had a mechanical issue there were several other threats and errors that went uncorrected or unmanaged that could have avoided this terrible tragedy.
Even though no one knows what exactly happened, I just want to say thank you for writing this. I don't know why this has affected me so much but it's nice to have some idea of what went on for this tragedy to happen. Does that make sense? Like to me, not knowing anything at all of aviation, being able to read something from someone who knows what they are talking about instead of all the bull**** takes coming from media and ever so slightly understand why this happened is better than just being in utter disbelief at the whole thing.

Even though no one knows what exactly happened, I just want to say thank you for writing this. I don't know why this has affected me so much but it's nice to have some idea of what went on for this tragedy to happen. Does that make sense? Like to me, not knowing anything at all of aviation, being able to read something from someone who knows what they are talking about instead of all the bull**** takes coming from media and ever so slightly understand why this happened is better than just being in utter disbelief at the whole thing.

No problem. Makes total sense. I don't mind contributing where I can.
Last night I went from watching hours of stories on Kobe on TSN to hearing reports of the weather. I went from feeling sick in my stomach all day to anger at bedtime. I've seen this stuff all too often. It's a waste and a tragedy. The only thing is that the industry as a whole learns from events like this to try and avoid it happening again.

Let's just say I am hopeful the full information comes out. I assume places like Lockheed could make things public if they wanted. The media is portraying something very different than what I am hearing happened. This whole thing is sad and people want answers.

Watching this, all I could say is wow.

I talked with one of my good buddies who is a helicopter pilot(still goes up monthly in a leased helicopter) who got his start in the military(Grenada) and also piloted Kauai Helicopter tours for eight years. He echoed your sentiments that it was likely a combination of events(mostly driven by the low clouds/fog) and pilot error, not a mechanical issue. He noted that there have only been two or three accidents with that model of Sikorski ever before this one.

My cousin was an airborn ranger and affectionately called helicopters lawn darts. he said the black hawks crashed so often a gust of wind could knock them out of the air. Once he retired from the military, he said he would never get in a helicopter again.

My cousin was an airborn ranger and affectionately called helicopters lawn darts. he said the black hawks crashed so often a gust of wind could knock them out of the air. Once he retired from the military, he said he would never get in a helicopter again.
I won’t go up in one again either. My wife always wanted to do a tour of Hawaii or the Grand Canyon. I nixed that immediately.

Not just an icon to Basketball but to sports.

RIP to all the passengers and family.

Such a horrible accident and i feel so bad for all involved. Loved watching Kobe play basketball. His determination and work ethic were second to none. My daughter forwarded me the short film Kobe made called “Dear Basketball”. Dont know how to post it here but if you have a minute google dear basketball and Kobe Bryant. It is incredible,

From what I understood, Kobe didn't own it, and he didn't fly it. He has, for quite awhile, used a helicopter to commute. To him, hiring a helicopter to fly him to events was akin to us hailing a cab. The guy was loaded, and it's generally a safe method of travel. Certainly a lot quicker mode of travel in LA.

I never followed his career closely, had no interest, but he was obviously a skilled enough player to be well aware of his accomplishments. What truly struck me is that three young children now are without a father (and their older sister), a father who clearly doted on them. That is a hole that will reverberate for a long time to come. Also, he had really poured himself into the community and his charity work. He could have done tremendous good if his life had not been needlessly cut short (the pilot never should have taken off in that crummy weather). May all who died in that crash rest in peace.
Yeah, Ive read some more on it and I get why he did it. Its one of those catch 22s where yeah it saved him time and gave him more time to devote to his family but it also took his life in the end.
I was never much of a Kobe fan but the man did seem like a very devoted father and Im sure its going to leave a huge hole in his family. The whole thing just sucks too because it seems like it was so avoidable. They probably should have never been flying in that fog and even then, I read that the pilot should have known the terrain (because he flew it all the time) and could have just flown over the the fog. The whole thing just makes no sense but I guess when its your time to leave this world, its your time. ?‍♂️

Saw the ABC news anchor was suspended for making a false statement about all of the kids being on board. Everyone trying to get the scoop instead of focusing on the facts. Wonder if he will lose his job.

Back