Kuchar/Sergio - WGC Match Play Drama - Your Take?

The point is simple. After Garcia swiped at the ball in temper Kuch had a choice.

Either walk to the next tee with everyone assuming the putt was conceded and a half was the result. Had he done that, it would have been a fair result and nothing more would have been said. Kuch dodged a bullet because Garcia should have holed the four footer for a win. A six inch putt should always be conceded in that position, and I doubt any tour pro has been asked to hole a six inch putt in match play.

Or he could approach the referee and claim the hole because he had not been heard to state the obvious. By pointing out to the referee ,unasked, that he had not said out loud what everyone knew to be true, he knew he was claiming a win, lighting Garcia's fuse, and getting something he did not deserve.

The point you seem to avoid is that Kuch had the option to do nothing and let it ride. Had the referee approached him (why would he?), then Kuchar would have been entitled to say he had not conceded the putt, and should have been asked if he wanted to claim the hole. At no stage was Kuchar in danger of breaking any rule, only the unwritten etiquette of the game. By doing so, he had gone from being one of the most liked and respected players on the Tour to a dick.
The option to simply walk to the next tee assuming the putt was conceded violates not only the intent but also the written rules of golf. You are advocating that Kuchar is a "dick" by following the rules?

Kuch has had a bad couple months and not of his doing. 100% with him

Nobody denies Garcia is a dick, the question is whether Kuch is, so Garcia's usual petulance is not important. That ship sailed a long time ago ,but Kuch is measured by higher standards...……..

Fast forward to next year's Ryder Cup, last singles out is Garcia v Kuch, on the 18th green , the match score is 13 1/2 v 13 1/2 , they are all square . Kuch has a four foot putt to win the Ryder Cup, if he two putts , the match is halved, and if he three putts , Europe win. His putt horseshoes, and is left on the edge. Distraught, he flicks the ball back to his feet to re-enact the putt. Garcia claims the hole, and therefore the cup.

Obviously, none of you guys would have an issue, 'cos the rules are the rules.

I would think Kuchar was an ass and should have given his opponent the chance to give him the putt, or worst case scenario just make the putt and not make it an issue. I would not blame the Euro for not going out of his way to make up for a mistake by his opponent.

I also think you might think that most of us here like Kuchar. I have never been a big fan but was more indifferent than anything and his recent handling of the situation with the caddie has him about on the same level as Garcia right now for many golf fans in the US.

The point is simple. After Garcia swiped at the ball in temper Kuch had a choice.

Either walk to the next tee with everyone assuming the putt was conceded and a half was the result. Had he done that, it would have been a fair result and nothing more would have been said. Kuch dodged a bullet because Garcia should have holed the four footer for a win. A six inch putt should always be conceded in that position, and I doubt any tour pro has been asked to hole a six inch putt in match play.

Or he could approach the referee and claim the hole because he had not been heard to state the obvious. By pointing out to the referee ,unasked, that he had not said out loud what everyone knew to be true, he knew he was claiming a win, lighting Garcia's fuse, and getting something he did not deserve.

The point you seem to avoid is that Kuch had the option to do nothing and let it ride. Had the referee approached him (why would he?), then Kuchar would have been entitled to say he had not conceded the putt, and should have been asked if he wanted to claim the hole. At no stage was Kuchar in danger of breaking any rule, only the unwritten etiquette of the game. By doing so, he had gone from being one of the most liked and respected players on the Tour to a dick.

It is with the integrity of the game that requires him to ask the referee for a ruling based on what he knows about the game of golf, and the rules that are normally self governed by the player (those not on TV).

You're expecting a man to break the rules of golf to support a temper tantrum. I understand your reasoning and what is 'fair' but at the end of the day, the fault starts and stops here with Garcia.

It is with the integrity of the game that requires him to ask the referee for a ruling based on what he knows about the game of golf, and the rules that are normally self governed by the player (those not on TV).

You're expecting a man to break the rules of golf to support a temper tantrum. I understand your reasoning and what is 'fair' but at the end of the day, the fault starts and stops here with Garcia.

Exactly, in our recent team match last sunday my partner had a putt to halve the hole because he was stroking. Due to ignorance he picked up his mark, I asked him what he was doing and told him he stroked on that hole so his putt was for a halve, he goes to put the mark back down. I go no, we lost the hole, lets move on. Our opponents were off the green and didn't know what was happening and asked me as we walked to the next hole, one of them goes "oh he could have still putted it" but the other didn't say anything. He was of the same mind as I was, as soon as the coin was picked up he was out of the hole.

Does this make me some kind of hero and them some kind of jerks? I don't think so, I think it was 4 guys playing by the rules of golf and monitoring what happened in their own golf match without a rules official as golf has been played for centuries. Now this putt was no gimme, but if he would have made it and halved the whole... neither of us would not have felt right about it so why even let him putt it? I told my partner to mind the card for where he strokes in the future and put it behind him.

Plain and simple, in match play you assume nothing is given and putt as if you have to make it regardless of the length. We can talk about etiquette for ever, but rules are in place for a reason.

Does it suck and kinda stupid a putt of that length wasn’t conceded or at the very least give Kuchar a chance to say “it’s good”, yes it does. Sergio assumed and that was mistake number 1. Never assume in match play regardless of the situation or stakes.

You're expecting a man to break the rules of golf to support a temper tantrum

I have absolutely no idea how you have reached that assumption, just that assume makes an ass of you and me. I could not have accepted the win from that situation, and if you read the reaction of American golf pro James Hahn, nor could he.

I have absolutely no idea how you have reached that assumption, just that assume makes an ass of you and me. I could not have accepted the win from that situation, and if you read the reaction of American golf pro James Hahn, nor could he.

I am not assuming anything. There is only one way to respond to the decision by Sergio and Kuchar did exactly that. Anything else is a breach of the rules as they are written.

If you are suggesting otherwise, ANYTHING otherwise, you are asking him to break the rules.

I am not assuming anything. There is only one way to respond to the decision by Sergio and Kuchar did exactly that. Anything else is a breach of the rules as they are written.

If you are suggesting otherwise, ANYTHING otherwise, you are asking him to break the rules.
And knowingly breaking the rules would have been a straight DQ from the event.

Back