L.A.B. Directed Force Putters

One thing I really like about this putter is how well it lets you set up.

I have the L.A.B. grip and if you put the face square and next to the ball and then align the line on the grip with your sternum, it feels like the perfect alignment every time.

The L.A.B. is currently my most consistent putter. I do expect the CC fitted putter to knock it out of the bag though, when it arrives.

Do you sole the back part of the 2.1 (so it is flat)? When I do the blade sits off the ground. I saw a YouTube video where William Presse steps on the back part as part of his setup. Tried that and putted much worse. Also saw on videos that the shaft should be in the center of your stance. I have the Press 3 grip. I like the putter but have been hot and cold - mostly cold - so far.

Do you sole the back part of the 2.1 (so it is flat)? When I do the blade sits off the ground. I saw a YouTube video where William Presse steps on the back part as part of his setup. Tried that and putted much worse. Also saw on videos that the shaft should be in the center of your stance. I have the Press 3 grip. I like the putter but have been hot and cold - mostly cold - so far.

When I use this putter, I have the shaft in the center of my stance, aligned with my sternum. I sole the portion of the putter that is directly below the shaft, which means I do not sole the back of the putter which is slightly curved.

If you watch the L.A.B. Golf Putter Position video on YouTube (link below), he does not sole the back of the putter.

Putter Position

Anyone use the Press II 1.5* instead of the Press II 3* on the DF2.1? I tried the DF2.1 with the 3* and the Mezz with the 1.5* and like the DF better but prefer the 1.5* grip size. The 3* grip feels a little too big and makes the head feel a little too light.

Anyone use the Press II 1.5* instead of the Press II 3* on the DF2.1? I tried the DF2.1 with the 3* and the Mezz with the 1.5* and like the DF better but prefer the 1.5* grip size. The 3* grip feels a little too big and makes the head feel a little too light.

I have a DF2.1 and wanted a smaller grip as well. I reached out to LAB and they do not recommend the 1.5 with the DF2.1. because it isn’t idea amount of forward press. I’m sure it can be done though. Tbey recommended the OG grip that has 3°. I just ordered one yesterday. I’m going to give that a shot.

I have a DF2.1 and wanted a smaller grip as well. I reached out to LAB and they do not recommend the 1.5 with the DF2.1. because it isn’t idea amount of forward press. I’m sure it can be done though. Tbey recommended the OG grip that has 3°. I just ordered one yesterday. I’m going to give that a shot.
Is the OG grip the same diameter as the Press II 3*? I believe the OG grip is heavier so it would make the head feel even lighter.

Thanks! The feel (or lack of) scares me a bit. From YT videos, it seems to be not soft and "pingy" upon impact. I do like how it is different, but hard to do anything like that without a guarantee or return policy which as far as I know they do not offer. Not sure about the online fitting capability either. I just don't know.

Their website mentions a return policy for their stock clubs, though not the truly custom ones. There might be a way to test a stock club, then go all in to customize if you like it. The B2 is a clean design. The Mezz1 is a bit big.

Loving the OG grip so far. Has me enjoying the DG2.1 more so far.

Any LAB owners had any work done on their club from a non-LAB source? I took my DF 2.1 in to PGASS today since the head was just the slightest bit loose and I wanted to get it fixed for a golf trip next week. The club builder's eyes kinda bulged out when I asked him to fix the loose head. I think that he did a good enough job, but now I'm all in my head that the grip is not square to the face anymore. At least I'll have an excuse if I start bricking 5 footers.

Any LAB owners had any work done on their club from a non-LAB source? I took my DF 2.1 in to PGASS today since the head was just the slightest bit loose and I wanted to get it fixed for a golf trip next week. The club builder's eyes kinda bulged out when I asked him to fix the loose head. I think that he did a good enough job, but now I'm all in my head that the grip is not square to the face anymore. At least I'll have an excuse if I start bricking 5 footers.
You've got to send that back to LAB. They will fix it, no charge. They stand by their equipment

You've got to send that back to LAB. They will fix it, no charge. They stand by their equipment

That's what I love to hear! I've been emailing them back and forth the last week, or so, but had not heard many details back from them. I just wanted to get a band-aid fix before next weekend. Figured LAB's turnaround time would have been pretty lengthy when you add in shipping both ways.

One thing I really like about this putter is how well it lets you set up.

I have the L.A.B. grip and if you put the face square and next to the ball and then align the line on the grip with your sternum, it feels like the perfect alignment every time.

The L.A.B. is currently my most consistent putter. I do expect the CC fitted putter to knock it out of the bag though, when it arrives.

Of course, the only solution is to purchase another LAB Putter...:ROFLMAO:😢

That's what I love to hear! I've been emailing them back and forth the last week, or so, but had not heard many details back from them. I just wanted to get a band-aid fix before next weekend. Figured LAB's turnaround time would have been pretty lengthy when you add in shipping both ways.
I did a virtual fitting with them. Sam Hahn (CEO) is a great guy to work with.

Awesome. The only complaint I’ve read about was that many had to hit it harder or swing thru more as they seemed to leave putts shorter with that thing. Like the ball came off dead. Weird, y’all don’t seem to share the same feelings.
I love my Directed Force 2.1. I can't putt with my Scotty anymore because I can feel the twisting. The only downside I have noticed is that I have to putt with a longer backstroke and forward stroke versus my old heavy putter. I dont recommend hitting is harder per se'. The ball holds my intended line very well.

I love my Directed Force 2.1. I can't putt with my Scotty anymore because I can feel the twisting. The only downside I have noticed is that I have to putt with a longer backstroke and forward stroke versus my old heavy putter. I dont recommend hitting is harder per se'. The ball holds my intended line very well.

I had trouble with longer putts as to distance control with the DF.

I had trouble with longer putts as to distance control with the DF.

I assume it takes time and a commitment. Or at least it did for me. When I first got my DF 2 years ago I tried it out against my gamer (Ping Ketsch Vault2.0 all black) at the time and couldn’t make it work. Left every putt short. I put it in the garage and it sat for over a year. Most expensive piece of golf equipment I’d ever bought and it was wasting away in my garage.

I switched putters not long after to the Ping Harwood. Loved it. Not until this February did I get the LAB back out and give it a go. I have been using the DF all season and it’s been great. My lag putting is better than ever and my short stuff is about the same as it was before switching. I used to leave everything short with this and now it’s within a Hula-hoop on anything over 40’.

I tried out the Harwood and Ketsch last week and thought I’d blow everything past the hole since I left the DF short originally. Not the case. I was kinda stumped. The inside 15’ was about the same but the lag putting was awful with the Harwood and Ketsch. I was 7-10’ on distances from 30’ and beyond. I’m sure it’s because I’ve been used to it but the DF is consistent as heck for me. I love it.

Back from injury lasting a month and now back in the bag after probably 2 years is the DF 2.1.

Prior to hurting the back (again), I was striking the ball very well but putting terribly. Especially when our greens were still dormant and icy fast, I was 3-putting 1/3 of the holes at times. That was with my Sik DW or Scotty Squareback 1.5 and even a return to my old trusty Never Compromise Voodoo center-shaft. Just… awful.

So during the layoff, I committed myself to a return to the DF. It never really stopped working for me it’s just, where it never bothered me during playing it from 2018 through 2019, suddenly I became self-conscious, so to speak, about its appearance. Wasn’t all that, though. I had 2 different black 2.1 putters and then picked up a blue one with a matching lie angle to the favorite of the 2 black ones. Sold the black ones, kept the blue. Only, over a short time I realized that the 1" of additional length and newer/different Presse grip just wasn’t working for me. Previous putters had the original oval Presse grip, the larger newer one felt better initially but much worse fairly quickly. Comfort level disappeared.

So a few weeks ago, I ordered the original oval Presse grip from L.A.B. and cut the grip down to my preferred length. Since, it’s been like coming home as the darned thing just suits me to a T. I’ve still 3-putted since coming back but 2 or 3 total over two rounds sure beats 6 or 7 in one. I’ve a case of the nerves over putts, silly, but it’s there. Don’t wanna call them the yips just yet as I feel like I’m on the path to working things out.

But as to the putter’s stated technology, I gotta say that although initially intrigued, I never really bought into it. Never denied it either, let’s just say that I’ve always been ambivalent of claims as they all just seem to fade into white noise for me. But I can say that promises of results as to their tech claims, I sure do realize them. It’s the most comfortable swinging putter I’ve ever used and I say that despite my not being able to perceptibly detect any significant nor minute twisting with other putters. The DF just swings so freely that once I decide upon line, I never think stroke nor anything else other than speed.

I was waiting for a fitting at the PGATSS yesterday and saw one of these and picked it up because it was interesting looking and I like center shafted putters. Putting it down behind the ball it felt much better than it looked like it would. Then taking a stoke with it was surprisingly nice. The feel of hitting the ball was surprisingly good too. Watching ball after ball go into the hole had me looking these up afterwards and now I'm in serious ponder mode.

Last edited:
I just mentioned to my wife that a LAB Directed Force putter would be a good anniversary gift.

I mentioned that my head was loose a while back, which PGASS tried to fix since I needed it for a tournament. Fast forward 6 weeks and the head is once again loose, so I'll be sending mine back to LAB for repair. They're charging $100 for a reshaft, reweight, and return shipping, which is not ideal, but I can't complain too much since I didn't buy it new.

The 2.1 is the only putter I’ve taken with me on this golf trip. :oops:

The 2.1 is the only putter I’ve taken with me on this golf trip. :oops:
It’s the only one you need. Only problem
Is color. It’s not bold enough for you.

It’s the only one you need. Only problem
Is color. It’s not bold enough for you.
Ain’t that the truth. About to take SOOOOO much **** from my buddies this trip though 🤣

Back