Launch Monitor Data. What Do You Look For

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
For those who hit on a lunch monitor when testing clubs or getting fit what data do you look at first and put an importance on?

The big ones for me are launch angle, spin, carry, ball speed and yards offline and for curiosity sake my swing speed.

I feel with those numbers I can tell what I need to look at to maximimize the club (usually driver) for the me.

Club speed , ball speed , spin and carry distance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st: club head speed, ball speed, launch angle and yards offline. After that, I also look at peak height and descent angle. I tend to hit high spinners that don't run out at all, so if I can get something that will get me more roll as well as additional carry I am all in.

All of the aforementioned plus AOA. Not that I really want to know since I can't seem to hit up on the ball. :/

I look at spin and carry distance. I don't disregard anything else, but if those two are in line with what I want to see, the SS, BS, Launch and dispersion will be in line as well.

Last edited:
If it's driver data, first and foremost ball speed.

All above with my driver, but I'm also looking at my Smash Factor....consistent S.F. with similar numbers from above list, then I know I'm maximizing my time in the bay. Obviously, as close to 1.50, the better.

Ball speed, launch, spin, peak height, descent angle, aoa.

If I'm club testing I look at club speed/smash factor/launch angle/spin/carry distance/total distance/ height/deviation and AOA.

If I'm practicing I look at a couple of others club path/swing direction/face angle.

This might sound internet golfer of me but I tend to look at everything together although obviously not everything is of equal importance.

1) Ball Speed
2) Carry
3) Launch + Backspin
4) Smash Factor (assuming a proper unit)

I like to keep an eye on impact location as I digest the numbers as most anomalies can be linked to exploring the face.

AoA. Face to path. Path to target. Launch angle. Face closure rate. Strike location. Ball speed. Spin. Club head speed.

Everything.

Ball speed, launch, and carry are the biggies for me but I'm also interested in spin, and dispersion, and how consistent and repeatable shot shapes and trajectories are with a club.

i'm sorry for hijacking the thread. but i just did a little figuring on my driver head speed and ball speed. (110-153) i think that puts me at 1.39 sf. I was wondering how to improve on smash factor?

Spinspinspinnyspinspin...then ball speed, dispersion and carry for a driver.

For me, usually carry distance first, then club speed and ball speed, and then spin.

everything. i think it's all useful.

Club/ball speed, peak height, distance, spin.

Club speed , ball speed , spin, carry distance and smash factor Aoa.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

i'm sorry for hijacking the thread. but i just did a little figuring on my driver head speed and ball speed. (110-153) i think that puts me at 1.39 sf. I was wondering how to improve on smash factor?
Your Angle of attack. Swinging up on the ball will give you a better smash factor compared to a descending blow. I have been told. Also carry distance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You need to figure out what's the cause before you can work on improving it. The wrong remedy will either make it worse or leave nothing improved.

There are several factors that could be the cause, not finding the center of the club face, wrong shaft, face not square through impact, outside in swing path, not moving through the ball/falling away etc...

My advice is seek a couple lessons or post videos in a new thread for Panda to help you.

Maybe a little more information would be helpful, 287 yards total, 277 yards carry, vertical launch 9.6* , horizontal launch 4.6* l. Backspin 3270 rpm. sidespin 344rpm. Unfortunately that's all the information I have.

Edit- I live out in the middle of nowhere, and its winter with snow on the ground, so next time I get to a simulator I will take a few videos and post them for panda.
Sent from my Gigaset QV830 using Tapatalk

This, and for me that includes club data.

i would almost be more curious to know what information people don't find helpful. the lm data that i find completely useless because i'm just not smart enough to understand what i'm looking at is when the smash factor is fixed at 1.45. that just seems to make everything useless to me.

Back