A view of my 25 year old lawn below. Last year it took the worst hit ever--an outbreak of grubs. Besides the grubs eating the roots we had a family of racoons that dug up the lawn to get to this delicacy about every three days for about a month. As you can tell it's fully recovered. My backyard lawn is about 30 years old and fairing as well.IMG_1594.JPG

A view of my 25 year old lawn below. Last year it took the worst hit ever--an outbreak of grubs. Besides the grubs eating the roots we had a family of racoons that dug up the lawn to get to this delicacy about every three days for about a month. As you can tell it's fully recovered. My backyard lawn is about 30 years old and fairing as well.View attachment 9008053
I had a terrible issue with grubs last year and have a ton of dead spots. Did you do anything special to get it to recover so nicely? It's extremely frustrating because I had three nicest yard in the development before that happened.

I have the HRX 217 series with a 190 cc engine. It replaced an HRX 215 series mower with a 135 cc engine. The 215's plastic deck cracked at one of the wheels after about twelve years - a known issue. Given that, I decided to replace the mower for a little more than the cost of repairing the old one. The new one doesn;t have the deck problem, and it hasn't bogged down unless I'm doing something crazy like mulching a huge pile of leaves. The older one would choke on a tall lawn.
This year I replaced my HRX 217 that was about 8 years old with the HRX 217HYA. The old one had a lot of mileage on it and needed a lot of work. the engine ran fine bit the rest fell apart but that can be attributed to me having to keep it outside unprotected for a year while our house was being built. The HRX 217 line is the best 21” mower out there.

Reactions: J4U
I had a terrible issue with grubs last year and have a ton of dead spots. Did you do anything special to get it to recover so nicely? It's extremely frustrating because I had three nicest yard in the development before that happened.

i put down grub treatment in the spring to try to prevent the grubs and try to seed the bare spots in late summer. I’m thinking about switching to milky spore for grub control. It takes some time to get it established but lasts for years once it does. In my case, grubs attract moles. Moles also love earthworms, so getting rid of the grubs helps my lawn and reduces the mole problem only a little, because I have a lot of earthworms. Unless you have a lot of bunch type grasses, such as tall fescue and ryegrass, your lawn can spread pretty rapidly to cover small bare spots. I’m in the middle of switching my lawn from mostly bluegrass to mostly fescue, and I really haven’t seen much of a difference in the spread to cover bare spots, but that could be due to the cultivars I’m using.

Last edited:
Reactions: KEV
Early morning view of where I get to do my lawn care. Have 1 1/4 acre total, about an acre mowable.

View attachment 9007912
View attachment 9007913
I mow with a 52" Scag Patriot. A pro-sumer model fitting in between residential and commercial. I also have a Bluebird tow behind aerator and poly roller to help level the lawn. I use an EGO+ string trimmer and blower for clean up.

I typically do a Speing pre emergent apllocation for weed prevention, but I'm trying to slowly use less synthetic fertilizer so I skipped this year. I'm spot spraying weeds with a hand pump sprayer, so far keeping them under control.

Goals are to introduce some newer cultivars of grass that require less fertilizer and water. Tried to overseed entire lawn 2 years ago, with ok results. Rain didnt help, and it was too much to keep watered. Going to pick the areas that need it most, keeping it and overseed this fall, while keeping it manageable.

that front yard would make Augusta National blush o_O:love:

I'll try to get pix if anyone thinks they'll help. I'm a bit frustrated, but I can't tell if it's different grasses or soils here in Iowa. But, our lawn is really blotchy, with grasses with differing colors in patches, stripes, etc. around the yard. We bought the house in summer 2019 and the lawn had not been maintained beyond basic cutting. And 2019 was a brutally hot drought summer. So, we got a lawn service that treated (didn't aerate) at end of 2019 and through all 2020, concluding with aeration.

Now, in 2021, we still have patches of crab and other "wild" grasses spotting the lawn, with some having larger blades, of a size you'd see on a pineapple. Also, we we now have "tufts" that grow nice, thick grass, but only in spots about the size of a small pie that are dotting our yard. I realize the lack of care in prior years takes time to overcome. But is it really like my golf swing in that has to look worse before it gets better??? (LOL)

Note: I do owe my lawn service (local guy, nice guy and seems knowledgeable) a discussion about this. So no complaints about him. I'm following his instructions, just cutting it high, trimming the tips off the blades as it gets thicker...

This year I replaced my HRX 217 that was about 8 years old with the HRX 217HYA. The old one had a lot of mileage on it and needed a lot of work. the engine ran fine bit the rest fell apart but that can be attributed to me having to keep it outside unprotected for a year while our house was being built. The HRX 217 line is the best 21” mower out there.
I second this and my last Honda was 18 yrs old when I gave it away. Still ran great but had hit a water main cover while mowing a neighbors yard. Didn't know it was there and grass was high. Ruined the blades and tweaked the shaft just enough so it vibrated a little.

Was traveling a lot and decided to get the HRX 217HZA a couple seasons ago. Tera needed the electric start in case I wasn't home. After getting it had her try and start it manually, two pulls and it fired right up. Could have saved some money and not got the starter, but I am kind of spoiled now using it. Still fires right up with the rope and runs much quieter than the old Honda and more powerful.

I'll try to get pix if anyone thinks they'll help. I'm a bit frustrated, but I can't tell if it's different grasses or soils here in Iowa. But, our lawn is really blotchy, with grasses with differing colors in patches, stripes, etc. around the yard. We bought the house in summer 2019 and the lawn had not been maintained beyond basic cutting. And 2019 was a brutally hot drought summer. So, we got a lawn service that treated (didn't aerate) at end of 2019 and through all 2020, concluding with aeration.

Now, in 2021, we still have patches of crab and other "wild" grasses spotting the lawn, with some having larger blades, of a size you'd see on a pineapple. Also, we we now have "tufts" that grow nice, thick grass, but only in spots about the size of a small pie that are dotting our yard. I realize the lack of care in prior years takes time to overcome. But is it really like my golf swing in that has to look worse before it gets better??? (LOL)

Note: I do owe my lawn service (local guy, nice guy and seems knowledgeable) a discussion about this. So no complaints about him. I'm following his instructions, just cutting it high, trimming the tips off the blades as it gets thicker...

When I hear "Stripes" I usually think somebody missed a pass with the fertilizer, but I'd normally doubt that's the case with a lawn service, especially if the stripes are always in the same place. The larger blades sound a little like coarse fescue. If you truly have crabgrass, I'd suspect the lawn service because a decent service should have controlled crabgrass with a pre-emergent application, unless those chemicals are banned in Iowa, which could be possible.

When you get to the point that you have that many varieties, if you want a uniform lawn, you're basically going to have to start over. I did that three falls ago after doing some drainage work. For a number of reasons, I hadn't done much to The Scotts mixture I had planted in the early 90s and it had become overrun with ground ivy and bentgrass. So I scalp-mowed the lawn, hit it with Roundup (today I would use black plastic for about three weeks) and re-seeded with a mix heavy in turf type tall fescue. I will eventually convert my entire yard by redoing a few thousand square feet every year. Based on that experience, I recommend spending about twice as much as you would at a big box and buy a premium seed mix online. I saw higher germination rates and fewer weeds and such in the initial growth. The premium cultivars in the mix have performed really well, and my wife, who just wanted me to sod and be done with it, is really happy with the lawn appearance and wants me to do another piece this fall. The TTTF has a noticeably darker green color than the bluegrass mixtures beside it. It cost had been no object, I would have gone with sod, but cost was a factor, but I am glad I went the way I did.

There are many premium seed dealers online. You can probably find one closer to you who knows your climate really well, but I bought mine here:

When I hear "Stripes" I usually think somebody missed a pass with the fertilizer, but I'd normally doubt that's the case with a lawn service, especially if the stripes are always in the same place. The larger blades sound a little like coarse fescue. If you truly have crabgrass, I'd suspect the lawn service because a decent service should have controlled crabgrass with a pre-emergent application, unless those chemicals are banned in Iowa, which could be possible.

When you get to the point that you have that many varieties, if you want a uniform lawn, you're basically going to have to start over. I did that three falls ago after doing some drainage work. For a number of reasons, I hadn't done much to The Scotts mixture I had planted in the early 90s and it had become overrun with ground ivy and bentgrass. So I scalp-mowed the lawn, hit it with Roundup (today I would use black plastic for about three weeks) and re-seeded with a mix heavy in turf type tall fescue. I will eventually convert my entire yard by redoing a few thousand square feet every year. Based on that experience, I recommend spending about twice as much as you would at a big box and buy a premium seed mix online. I saw higher germination rates and fewer weeds and such in the initial growth. The premium cultivars in the mix have performed really well, and my wife, who just wanted me to sod and be done with it, is really happy with the lawn appearance and wants me to do another piece this fall. The TTTF has a noticeably darker green color than the bluegrass mixtures beside it. It cost had been no object, I would have gone with sod, but cost was a factor, but I am glad I went the way I did.

There are many premium seed dealers online. You can probably find one closer to you who knows your climate really well, but I bought mine here:

Good seed, that is a new cultivar is a great suggestion. Their weed seed % should be 0% and will give you more grass seed per pound. Big box store brands usually has other stuff in it to help with germination, but also gives you less coverage.

Another good online seed store is Hogan seed. Dealt with them 2 years ago, and had a great experience.

Grass is pretty resilient if it gets the basics it needs consistently (sun, water, fertilizer, soil that isn't hardpan, and getting cut weekly). But it was only going to get worse until I attacked the grubs. I used the Spectracide Triazicide granules product. At the time of the year I was using it you are told to expect only partial eradication: 30-80%. You maximize the effectiveness by doing a couple of things. Get it down before the grubs become inactive for the winter. Make sure you soak the granules into the soil right after application.

We knew it was working when the raccoons lost interest in coming around and digging up our lawn. Also, each time they did, I went out the morning after and put back the sod, which minimized the damage. After they stopped coming I got fertilizer down every six weeks and made sure the lawn got plenty of water to maximize growth before the winter dormant season. Then picked up that regiment in early spring.

Grass is pretty resilient if it gets the basics it needs consistently (sun, water, fertilizer, soil that isn't hardpan, and getting cut weekly). But it was only going to get worse until I attacked the grubs. I used the Spectracide Triazicide granules product. At the time of the year I was using it you are told to expect only partial eradication: 30-80%. You maximize the effectiveness by doing a couple of things. Get it down before the grubs become inactive for the winter. Make sure you soak the granules into the soil right after application.

We knew it was working when the raccoons lost interest in coming around and digging up our lawn. Also, each time they did, I went out the morning after and put back the sod, which minimized the damage. After they stopped coming I got fertilizer down every six weeks and made sure the lawn got plenty of water to maximize growth before the winter dormant season. Then picked up that regiment in early spring.

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but here in NE Ohio we are still in twice a week mode! I'll be out cutting again tomorrow. I cut my neighbors and mine since she's on disability with a shot back. Only thing is I'm tottering around on two shot knees. What kills me is that we do NOTHING to help these lawns, No weed & feed, no fertilizer, no nothing! But, they are old lawns. They do get dandelions. No way to keep them out, and with as much work as they are, the last thing I want them to do is to grow faster!

If I had known what this was going to evolve into, if I could have afforded it, I'd have had the lawn ripped up and Field Turf installed!

Going to be a rough summer for the lawn. Plan to buy a dethatcher in the fall and have some fun.

Going to be a rough summer for the lawn. Plan to buy a dethatcher in the fall and have some fun.

Ive been considering the purchase of a dethatcher as well but given that it’s a 1x per year thing, may just try renting one first. My other issue is how to handle the “stuff” that dethatching kicks up. It’s 3 acres of grass and dealing with the kicked up thatch will be an issue…. My only real option is to dethatch, then just cut and have it dispersed that way…. which doesn’t seem optimal. I’ve been considering one of those Cyclone Rake gizmos, but just another piece of equipment to maintain and store…. i dunno…. I can always just keep doin’ what i’m doin’….. which is just cut it and leave it at that.

On a happier note (ok, not happier but one that resulted in progress) I just had 6 loads of soil delivered, my buddy and his guys created a 120’ long berm and we planted 11 fir, 7 dogwood and a mess of lilac, boxwood and spiraea. It’s shaping up, but the only reason it was built was to create a screen so we don’t have to look at the friggin‘ pig sty across the street.

The 1800 s.f. ranch-style outhouse (that’s a generous description), and the other wreck next to it were both just left to rot, by the family that owned both. Haven’t seen a lick of maintenance done on either, other than maybe cut the grass, in the last 15 years. I’d rather live across the street from the dump. Both houses should be condemned and torn down (this is no exaggeration, one is full of black mold). I’d post a photo, but nobody should have to look at either of these sh**boxes.

Wow,,,, Probably should have posted this in the rant section…sorry. 🥴

We just got an electric mower and trimmer this year (Ego+), and so far they have been great.

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but here in NE Ohio we are still in twice a week mode! I'll be out cutting again tomorrow. I cut my neighbors and mine since she's on disability with a shot back. Only thing is I'm tottering around on two shot knees. What kills me is that we do NOTHING to help these lawns, No weed & feed, no fertilizer, no nothing! But, they are old lawns. They do get dandelions. No way to keep them out, and with as much work as they are, the last thing I want them to do is to grow faster!

If I had known what this was going to evolve into, if I could have afforded it, I'd have had the lawn ripped up and Field Turf installed!
My family is all from the Cleveland area, so I know what you are talking about. Grass grows like crazy where you are this time of year. You talk about no weed & feed or fertilizer. But you get lots of snow and it's filled with nitrogen and other nutrients that grass thrives on. As for the weeds, I grew up in that region and for years thought rose bushes were annuals, not perennials. Why? 80% or more of our roses didn't survive those brutal winters. Same thing with a lot of weeds, except for a few, especially the dandelions you mentioned.

Now I live in California. Lots of sunshine. Long growing seasons. Everything grows here...if it gets water regularly and the nutrients it needs. Sadly, most neighborhoods around here are spotty. A few families take care of their landscaping, but many do not. Lots of 'yards' that never get fertilized or watered, and gets mowed maybe 3 times in a year. Lawns don't need much, but what they need they need. It makes all the difference in the world.

We did some patching this spring and it seems to be taking hold. Bought 2 large bags of top soil and a bag of seed. I used a pitchfork to aerate and break up the surface. Mixed the seed and top soil in a bucket and spread it out over the areas. Seems to have taken hold pretty good. We shall see as it battles out with the dog days of summer for the next few months.

I am also a big fan of the electric yard equipment. Get a couple of batteries and then you are set with any equipment that the battery will fit. The companies make it easy as whoever you choose will mostly make all the equipment take the same battery. Once you get a couple of batteries you can buy new machines with no battery. Easy peasy and the stuff seems to run better than gas IMO.

Anyone deal with exposed tree roots in their lawn? Not sure if I shoukd just add too soil around them to cover and add seed in the fall, or if im going to need to have the entire lawn dug up (there's moss too), have it leveled, and then sodden?

I'm thinking it'll be that route since the Sprinkler system is all busted and I'm better off replacing it too

We got a few bags of this patch stuff from Menards to fill in where the dogs killed some grass over the winter.

Can't believe how well it worked, so got a couple more bags!

3F3FA2A2-57D0-4555-B009-EA31A7A24BEC.jpeg9DDCBDCD-775F-4501-9072-33220498B790.jpeg

I don't want to have to cut that!

Lawn going to take a beating in a couple weeks. There is a slip n slide planned along with lawn games aplenty. A few dogs in addition to our two including a couple Great Danes. And I’ve committed to buying one of these and putting it on the roof of the shed. I may not have the nicest lawn, but it’s gonna be a heck of a party!
1622425537095.jpeg

Anyone deal with exposed tree roots in their lawn? Not sure if I shoukd just add too soil around them to cover and add seed in the fall, or if im going to need to have the entire lawn dug up (there's moss too), have it leveled, and then sodden?

I'm thinking it'll be that route since the Sprinkler system is all busted and I'm better off replacing it too
I'm going to try adding soil around my exposed tree roots. They are patchy spots, and could use a minor level. Then I'm going to plant grass in the fall in those spots. For me, the roots arent terrible, and like I said, only in spots, so I think a minor level would do.

Lawn going to take a beating in a couple weeks. There is a slip n slide planned along with lawn games aplenty. A few dogs in addition to our two including a couple Great Danes. And I’ve committed to buying one of these and putting it on the roof of the shed. I may not have the nicest lawn, but it’s gonna be a heck of a party!
View attachment 9010372
Sounds like fun. Our slip and slide burnt an area of grass after 2 days of use...coming back a bit now after 2 weeks, but still brown so it may be a spot to reseed later this year.

But the kids had a blast on the slip and slide, so it was totally worth it!

Sounds like fun. Our slip and slide burnt an area of grass after 2 days of use...coming back a bit now after 2 weeks, but still brown so it may be a spot to reseed later this year.

But the kids had a blast on the slip and slide, so it was totally worth it!
I’m expecting the medical residents in their late 20’s and early 30’s to have a blast on the slip n slide as well :LOL: we will have a bunch of internal medicine residents and a few emergency department residents, so I’m not too worried about sprains or minor injuries. And I’ll be pulling that slip n slide up ASAP afterwards to minimize the effects on the lawn!

I’m expecting the medical residents in their late 20’s and early 30’s to have a blast on the slip n slide as well :LOL: we will have a bunch of internal medicine residents and a few emergency department residents, so I’m not too worried about sprains or minor injuries. And I’ll be pulling that slip n slide up ASAP afterwards to minimize the effects on the lawn!
Cut the grass lower under the slip and slide to minimize matting. I usually do it...but forgot this time :(. And the party sounds like a blast! Opposite of a trip to the Nest :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 9010372
The burning question in my mind is, does it poop rainbows to help fertilize the lawn? 🌈 😎

Back