Anyone deal with exposed tree roots in their lawn? Not sure if I shoukd just add too soil around them to cover and add seed in the fall, or if im going to need to have the entire lawn dug up (there's moss too), have it leveled, and then sodden?

I'm thinking it'll be that route since the Sprinkler system is all busted and I'm better off replacing it too

Depends upon many things, including how far the exposed roots are from the base of the tree. This article summarizes what I remember being told, except for a warning that too much mulch is bad for the tree.

A view of my 25 year old lawn below. Last year it took the worst hit ever--an outbreak of grubs. Besides the grubs eating the roots we had a family of racoons that dug up the lawn to get to this delicacy about every three days for about a month. As you can tell it's fully recovered. My backyard lawn is about 30 years old and fairing as well.View attachment 9008053
Looks fantastic.

We've had our issues with grubs too, I didn't realize the devastation they could cause to a lawn.

We solved our issue with not only Grub-X, but because our soil here gets compacted, I hit it first with Covington Liquid Aerator. The combo of the two seems to accel and extend the effects of Grub-X.

Liquid aerators are very impressive.

Working on edging skills with trimmer. First run left lots to be desired.

Working on edging skills with trimmer. First run left lots to be desired.
I had it down, but it took far too long. Bought an Edger with blade and it’s night and day

Late spring weed and feed today after four days of rain. It should take nicely as conditions are ideal. I applied lime last week to prep the lawn for it.

Very happy with the front yard right now. Cut it at 3 1/4 inches and that might be the best height for it.
20210531_122131.jpg

Back yard needs an overseed due to some heat stress the last few years. Try to get more drought resistant varieties in there, because mostly is a fine fescue that burns quick in the summer.
20210531_131323.jpg

Last edited:
My lawn has to be the roughest in the world. It literally kills my body every time I mow.

I had the lawn regraded and resoded as a result of the damage done from counterterrorism pouring the patio and driveway. I am also using the Sunday lawn care system and could not be happier. Application is easy and the results have been great.

As for equipment, I am using the Ryobi 40v mower, blower and weed whacker. The 4ah battery lasts about 25 minutes of mowing. I love it, and the best part is that the mower can be stored vertically since there is no gas! Lawn is a touch dry in spots from the lack of rain. I need to turn the sprinklers back on.

0228791E-ABD3-4658-9029-A5F74F46CA7F.jpeg6AB3C52B-246A-4799-B1DB-ACFA0C2F3E6B.jpeg

Very happy with the front yard right now. Cut it at 3 1/4 inches and that might be the best height for it.
View attachment 9010412

Back yard needs an overseed due to some heat stress the last few years. Try to get more drought resistant varieties in there, because mostly is a fine fescue that burns quick in the summer.
View attachment 9010417

I think you have enough land to make a sweet little par 3 course

Just got done mowing. It was slippery out so I laced up some old golf spikes. Anyone else mow in golf shoes? I’m a fan.
7E0B529E-9A25-4510-9585-21B4FF981FC5.jpeg

Last edited:
I had the lawn regraded and resoded as a result of the damage done from counterterrorism pouring the patio and driveway. I am also using the Sunday lawn care system and could not be happier. Application is easy and the results have been great.

As for equipment, I am using the Ryobi 40v mower, blower and weed whacker. The 4ah battery lasts about 25 minutes of mowing. I love it, and the best part is that the mower can be stored vertically since there is no gas! Lawn is a touch dry in spots from the lack of rain. I need to turn the sprinklers back on.

View attachment 9010419View attachment 9010420

looks great! I have one of those Ryobi 40v leaf blowers... great tool.

looks great! I have one of those Ryobi 40v leaf blowers... great tool.
I have loved it. Very powerful and not too heavy. The turbo button is a nice feature too.

I’m expecting the medical residents in their late 20’s and early 30’s to have a blast on the slip n slide as well :LOL: we will have a bunch of internal medicine residents and a few emergency department residents, so I’m not too worried about sprains or minor injuries. And I’ll be pulling that slip n slide up ASAP afterwards to minimize the effects on the lawn!

Plenty of emergency help for the impending orthopedic injuries

197D4173-7EFF-457B-A284-1FBF5109EA4F.jpeg
My lawn is a little patchy. I am going to try and get some patch stuff for the Bermuda. May try some nitrogen products to get the grass a deeper green. @JB which so you use? The front looks much better than the back thank goodness.

View attachment 9010428
My lawn is a little patchy. I am going to try and get some patch stuff for the Bermuda. May try some nitrogen products to get the grass a deeper green. @JB which so you use? The front looks much better than the back thank goodness.

81p-DOzUwkS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

[/I am also using the Sunday lawn care system and could not be happier.QUOTE]

I looked this up and it looks like a more customized version of what I’m using. My lawn has never looked healthier.

We moved into our house last fall and the yard was a mess. Weedy gardens, overgrown hedges, overgrown trees, a back yard that was mostly crabgrass and a front and side yard that was mulch.
I got to work cutting down the hedges and the smaller trees, my wife pulled all of the weeds out of the garden, I removed some rotten railroad ties, we put a fence up and I rehabed the yard with lots of grass seed, fert and crabgrass killer. On the front yard, I dug up all of the mulch and am just now starting to get some pretty decent grass in the front. Its diffuclt because the front yard is full shade, so the only thing that is really going to work in fine fescue (dense shade mix grass seed).
We're planning on having most of the trees removed at some point in time but its not going to be cheap or a small undertaking. Its going to be amazing when its all done though.
As for equipment, at first I had all electric equipment: a Ryobi mower, leaf blower and string trimmer but I recently converted over to all gas equipment because electric gear that is inexpensive isnt powerful enough and the stuff that is powerful is stupid expensive. Why have over $1000 worth of electric equipment that is going to run on batteries that cost hundreds of dollars to replace when I can just get gas equipment that costs half as much, lasts forever and only costs about $5 a month to run?
Since then, Ive picked up an inexpensive Craftsman 21" push mower, a Craftsman 2-cycle leaf blower and a Craftsman 2-cycle string trimmer. Yes, Im a Craftsman fanboy since way back in the Sears days.

I think you have enough land to make a sweet little par 3 course
If I could use part of my neighbors yard to the left, definitely! As is, I can hit shots up to 110 yards without risking the house :ROFLMAO:. Lots of fun with wedges!

I'll say this as a PSA, I was a Scott's loyalist until it burnt out my yard. They did refund all of my money spent on their products. They gave me a bunch of garbage as a company line too.

Scotts is mostly filler. Find a good product. Mine is Jonathan Green and its amazing.

I’m really pleased with my EGO electric mower. The key is to keep blades sharp. I am going to purchase a second blade and just rotate between sharpening.

We had some type of bug last season in my neighbor’s yard that ate our grass on his side. So, it’s been tiring as we try to get that area back. Had to aerate and seed multiple times. Still patchy, but slowly coming back after we killed the bugs.

Anyone deal with exposed tree roots in their lawn? Not sure if I shoukd just add too soil around them to cover and add seed in the fall, or if im going to need to have the entire lawn dug up (there's moss too), have it leveled, and then sodden?

I'm thinking it'll be that route since the Sprinkler system is all busted and I'm better off replacing it too
Last year we regraded part of our lawn where there were a lot of tree roots exposed, mostly to help keep the kiddos from tripping over them. We got a lot of topsoil delivered and just put it down and reseeded. It is still a little thin this year, but is much improved.

I really wanted to get my lawn up to par this year. It's so rough, but looks like we're moving soon. I'm definitely going to follow this thread for the future though.

Back