Lesser known Midwest resorts

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Share your favorite open-to-the-public resorts in the Midwest that aren’t the big names (Sand Valley, French Lick, etc).

Ideally not too expensive, more than one course, and lodging on-site.

Forest Dunes
Tullymore
Eagle Eye

• Staff
Forest Dunes
Tullymore
Eagle Eye

Excellent. Knew about FD, but not the other two. Michigan is something else. I used to live in Grand Rapids, but didn’t play at the time.

Lawsonia in Green Lake Wis is a fantastic 36 hole place. My favorite is the links course, and they have lodging in place. This is 30 minutes west of Fond Du Lac

The Prairie Club in Valentine, Nebraska offers a couple of great courses plus a nine hole
H-O-R-S-E course. The hotel is very nice with a good restaurant and a great patio to hang out on.

The downside is it's in the middle of nowhere so getting there takes a bit.

• Staff
Lawsonia in Green Lake Wis is a fantastic 36 hole place. My favorite is the links course, and they have lodging in place. This is 30 minutes west of Fond Du Lac

Looks nice and only about 4hrs from here.

this is in Wisconsin Dells, we've been going to Wild Rock since 2007. It's a beautiful course, scenic tee boxes that make you feel like every hole is playable

Excellent. Knew about FD, but not the other two. Michigan is something else. I used to live in Grand Rapids, but didn’t play at the time.

not 100% sure there is lodging on site at Eagle Eye but 2 good courses and tons of nearby hotels. Tullymore & St Ives are great value

I'm gonna second this one. This place is fantastic. The Links course is the talk of the town, but Woods course is beautiful as well.

I'm gonna second this one. This place is fantastic. The Links course is the talk of the town, but Woods course is beautiful as well.

Should also note there's some fantastic eating places in the area too.

The Prairie Club in Valentine, Nebraska offers a couple of great courses plus a nine hole
H-O-R-S-E course. The hotel is very nice with a good restaurant and a great patio to hang out on.

A guy I went to HS with is the GM out there. I believe he married a woman from up that way and is there for good. Looks really great...in the summer.

I see FD and tullymore from Michigan are listed. Know tree tops and arcadia bluffs get all the recognition but those 2 are amazing.

In Michigan I'd also recommend
Lockenheath - kind of near Arcadia and tree tops ( bout 90 minutes) has cool cottages and is like 45 minutes from sleeping bear dunes.

Bay harbour on lake Michigan.

I can name some more in Michigan.

Osage National Golf Resort in Lake Ozark MO is legit. We go in March but I’m sure Spring/Summer when grass isn’t dormant would be awesome. 3 distinct 9’s plus Condo lodging on site

or MN you’ve got Brainerd lakes area with Grand View, Craguns and Breezy Point Resorts. All have great courses and great amenities

Geneva National has 3 courses and lodging. I haven't played them all or stayed there, but what I have played there was great.

One of our Hideaway hosts is club champion there.

this is in Wisconsin Dells, we've been going to Wild Rock since 2007. It's a beautiful course, scenic tee boxes that make you feel like every hole is playable

we should do a long weekend this summer there

I am watching this closely and @Hawk if you have a spot open down the line....

Share your favorite open-to-the-public resorts in the Midwest that aren’t the big names (Sand Valley, French Lick, etc).

Ideally not too expensive, more than one course, and lodging on-site.
Shanty Creek/Schuss Mountain - Bellaire, MI: Several courses on site and 5 total. Includes excellent layouts designed by Arnie (Legend) and Weiskopf (Cedar River). Lodging can be hotel or condos.
A-Ga-Ming - Kewadin, MI: Two courses on site (Sundance is very good, Torch is okay but funky) plus several more within a short drive. Housing onsite are condos. Definitely not a luxury resort and very much geared toward golf

Crystal Mountain Ski, Golf & Spa Resort, Gull Lake View Resort, Lakewood Shores Resort, Grand Traverse Resort - I am less familiar with these resorts. All have golf and lodging on site with other courses nearby. All are located in MI.

I've heard good things about Wisconsin Dells area.

That's a place that I'll be looking at with the family in the next couple of years.

One of my all time favorite places!

Living in Nebraska I've actually never been, but I've heard good things!

Forest Dunes
Tullymore
Eagle Eye
Is FD considered a resort? Its in the middle of nowhere haha.....also we need to go back

One of my all time favorite places!

Living in Nebraska I've actually never been, but I've heard good things!
I would definitely recommend playing it. I know the Dunes course gets the accolades, but I actually enjoyed the Pines course more. The HORSE course would be a blast to have a group of buddies there to chill and goof around on also.

The hotel also had the best smelling shampoo I’ve ever used :ROFLMAO:.

Back