Let's talk about swing speed.

It’s working!!!!!
Speed training is working.

I’ve been hitting driver harder and better than I’ve hit it in 20ish years, probably..
The past 2 rounds I’ve had several 270+ bombs.

I’m putting myself in very nice wedge opportunities off the tee. I should probably contemplate moving back to 6700. I couldn’t be happier with the 10 week results on Superspeed. I’ll start maintenance soon.

Some guys will see this and say, "hell yeah"

It’s working!!!!!

I’ve been hitting driver harder and better than I’ve hit it in 20ish years, probably..
The past 2 rounds I’ve had several 270+ bombs.

I’m putting myself in very nice wedge opportunities off the tee. I should probably contemplate moving back to 6700. I couldn’t be happier with the 10 week results on Superspeed. I’ll start maintenance soon.

Hell yeah! :ROFLMAO:

Very cool that this is paying dividends @That post. There’s no better endorsement of a product than one from a forum member.

For years I’ve been saying distance is the least of my problems - and it still is. But for the first time since taking up the game, I’m going into a season knowing I’ve lost a little speed. I need to slow down the decline.

Hell yeah! :ROFLMAO:

Very cool that this is paying dividends @That post. There’s no better endorsement of a product than one from a forum member.

For years I’ve been saying distance is the least of my problems - and it still is. But for the first time since taking up the game, I’m going into a season knowing I’ve lost a little speed. I need to slow down the decline.
I’m not sure that it’s a byproduct of speed training but I’ve also managed to be hitting driver with a much tighter dispersion pattern now too. No longer do I have the sprayed right miss.

I think that has a lot to do with the speed training teaching me good release habits as well. It you don’t release properly with the speedsticks it’s very easy to tell. Not releasing properly kills a lot of speed, and can lead to hooks if too fast or pushes if too slow.

I’m not sure that it’s a byproduct of speed training but I’ve also managed to be hitting driver with a much tighter dispersion pattern now too. No longer do I have the sprayed right miss.

I think that has a lot to do with the speed training teaching me good release habits as well. It you don’t release properly with the speedsticks it’s very easy to tell. Not releasing properly kills a lot of speed, and can lead to hooks if too fast or pushes if too slow.
Now that’s a good feeling

Now that’s a good feeling
Thanks its been a long road but the speed added and a little tighter on dispersion?!

Double bonus! It’s an incredible feeling!

It’s working!!!!!
That's good to see. I'm happy for you :)

I expect to eventually do swing speed training--after I have my new swing and really have it grooved. In the meantime I'm hoping (somewhat expecting, really) my time in the gym will help.

I've never done "Speed Training" but these posts make me suspect that it is all about simply getting you to "swing the club" while not thinking about "hitting the ball". I can't imagine any other way to increase clubhead speed. I kind of fell into a homegrown idea of this late last season, and began hitting the ball (there's that phrase again!) much farther than I had all year.

I've never done "Speed Training" but these posts make me suspect that it is all about simply getting you to "swing the club" while not thinking about "hitting the ball". I can't imagine any other way to increase clubhead speed. I kind of fell into a homegrown idea of this late last season, and began hitting the ball (there's that phrase again!) much farther than I had all year.
Yes, there is some of that to this but swinging the speed sticks helps build those twitch muscles and gets your brain into the habits of swinging fast. There are absolutely benefits of doing speed training.

I’m walking proof of that. I’ve added over 10mph and at minimum 25 yards. I’ll be very interested to see how this speed translates once the temps warm up and the ball really flies.

It was 80 this weekend and the ball was MOVING.
It’s exciting stuff.

Pretty much what it is. Various schools of thought (products). There's several threads around here two I know of are The Superspeed and The Stack System, I've seen Rypstick and a few others on here too. I've previously done Launchcode which was small company a friend told me about. I'd heard about Stack and Superspeed years ago, then I kept hearing a lot of buzz about Stack. For the most part all of the programs get you swinging a prescribed weight for a certain number of reps/sets with no real intelligence to it (not an insult, just a fact), the one that is different is The Stack, the app is the gamechanger imho. It literally changes your sessions depending on what your results are as you go along (I've compared a couple of others in the thread with their program sessions to mine and they are different). If you want to look at that one, it's relatively expensive, it's IOS only (for now) and of course you need a radar that can measure CHS with no ball. One of us in there can give you a referral code, full disc we get an extra year of app access if you use it (you get 2 with initial purchase). For me it was even more being in Canada but I do not regret the purchase, my only regret is not starting sooner.

But overall, as you said, it's the intent that matters, and just swinging hell for leather will do something, although how much, I have no idea.

Personally, I've seen around 15mph gain so far max speed with about 10 mph on course.

I have been watching this thread whilst having a couple lessons over the winter as the pro at my club was keen to see if I was able to pick up some speed after my back issues

As we have a Trackman range, the metric I was monitoring was ball speed as I could see this during both lessons or range time. Initially I was around the high 140's ball speed with driver, but with better technique and some exercises with kettle bells I hit 159 last week

Due to the weather I haven't been on the course much, but I have definitely seen an increase in carry distance for the few times I have been able to

but with better technique and some exercises with kettle bells I hit 159 last week
That’s awesome! I use kettle bells a lot to help work on weight shift.

Yes, there is some of that to this but swinging the speed sticks helps build those twitch muscles and gets your brain into the habits of swinging fast. There are absolutely benefits of doing speed training.

I’m walking proof of that. I’ve added over 10mph and at minimum 25 yards. I’ll be very interested to see how this speed translates once the temps warm up and the ball really flies.

It was 80 this weekend and the ball was MOVING.
It’s exciting stuff.

Pretty much what it is. Various schools of thought (products). There's several threads around here two I know of are The Superspeed and The Stack System, I've seen Rypstick and a few others on here too. I've previously done Launchcode which was small company a friend told me about. I'd heard about Stack and Superspeed years ago, then I kept hearing a lot of buzz about Stack. For the most part all of the programs get you swinging a prescribed weight for a certain number of reps/sets with no real intelligence to it (not an insult, just a fact), the one that is different is The Stack, the app is the gamechanger imho. It literally changes your sessions depending on what your results are as you go along (I've compared a couple of others in the thread with their program sessions to mine and they are different). If you want to look at that one, it's relatively expensive, it's IOS only (for now) and of course you need a radar that can measure CHS with no ball. One of us in there can give you a referral code, full disc we get an extra year of app access if you use it (you get 2 with initial purchase). For me it was even more being in Canada but I do not regret the purchase, my only regret is not starting sooner.

But overall, as you said, it's the intent that matters, and just swinging hell for leather will do something, although how much, I have no idea.

Personally, I've seen around 15mph gain so far max speed with about 10 mph on course.
Interesting, thought provoking replies. Thank you. What I did last year was just take a club, usually Driver, into the back yard and just swing it! Swing it repeatedly as fast as I possibly could. At then 70 years old, it was kind of surprising how that could be so tiring! But, the golf swing is an athletic motion.

Is the prgr swing speed monitor the way to go? I hear it works with or without hitting a ball. I had the sc100 which didn't read without hitting a ball and died after a couple of years. It also went through batteries relatively fast.

Is the prgr swing speed monitor the way to go? I hear it works with or without hitting a ball. I had the sc100 which didn't read without hitting a ball and died after a couple of years. It also went through batteries relatively fast.
PRGR has worked very well for me. It reads without a ball and I haven't had to change the batteries yet after 12 weeks of use.

Last edited:
PRGR has worked very well for me. It reads without a ball and I haven't had to change the batteries yet after 12 weeks of use.
Adding another vote for PRGR, works great for speed training without a ball. and batteries seem to last ages too.

Either the PRGR or The Stack System's new device.
Just be aware, the Stack version is currently only available in the US (which is likely where most are located on this board but just in case)
PRGR is available on Amazon outside the US if needed.

Also I'm not sure the Stack version is really worth the extra money? BT integration, is that really needed when I can already just use voice entry? I see they added backswing trigger speed, but I've never found it that annoying when I trigger that.

Just be aware, the Stack version is currently only available in the US (which is likely where most are located on this board but just in case)
PRGR is available on Amazon outside the US if needed.

Also I'm not sure the Stack version is really worth the extra money? BT integration, is that really needed when I can already just use voice entry? I see they added backswing trigger speed, but I've never found it that annoying when I trigger that.
Has the prgr gone on sale in the past. I looked up the price today and it looks the same everywhere advertised.

Has the prgr gone on sale in the past. I looked up the price today and it looks the same everywhere advertised.
Looks like it went on sale (Amazon US) and had about $40 off. I can't find how much I paid for mine into Canada, I think it was about $250CAD at the time though.
I've put it down next to trackman and it's within 1-2mph so for the price, absolutely worth it.

Have you got a training product already and you're looking for a radar?

Looks like it went on sale (Amazon US) and had about $40 off. I can't find how much I paid for mine into Canada, I think it was about $250CAD at the time though.
I've put it down next to trackman and it's within 1-2mph so for the price, absolutely worth it.

Have you got a training product already and you're looking for a radar?
I'm in Canada too and they are $300 currently. Just looking for a radar that will also show ballspeed at the range.

I'm in Canada too and they are $300 currently. Just looking for a radar that will also show ballspeed at the range.
PRGR is going to be your best bet $$ wise then. Bonus that it does Club speed only if you need it for Speed training.

PRGR is going to be your best bet $$ wise then. Bonus that it does Club speed only if you need it for Speed training.
Yes I will probably get one. Hopefully it lasts a long time.

Yes I will probably get one. Hopefully it lasts a long time.
I've had mine over 2 years now, zero issues, even survived getting a bit wet when I got rained on doing some training. Pretty solid little unit for what it is.

Back