CONTEST Live Update Thread – The 2023 Grandaddy of Em All with Callaway Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The greatest amateur event ever created!

The 2023 Grandaddy is here. Three plus days of action coming your way and this thread will serve as host for everything that takes place. If the participants see it (and can share it), it will be here. Watch and hear from them as they go through their fittings, tour Callaway HQ, and meet everybody behind the brand.

Then it is off to the exclusive Hideaway in Palm Desert for two days of golf competition between the THP Forum members and the marketing team of Callaway Golf. Just because you are not there, does not mean you cannot be part of the action and win a brand new Callaway Paradym Driver of your choice. Follow along to every single part of the 2023 Grandaddy of Em All, right here.

1638808357990-1024x768.jpeg

HOW TO ENTER

The contest is simple, before the golf kicks off, jump in and tell us these two things. First, who will win...

Continue reading...

Attachments

• 1638808357990-1024x768.jpeg
    1638808357990-1024x768.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 720
  • 1223-1024x692.jpg
    1223-1024x692.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 496
Last edited by a moderator:
Ladies & Gentleman, Boys & Girls… Children of all Ages. It is Time!!!

This year marks the 10th year anniversary of the greatest amateur golf event ever created. In this decade long run, only a global pandemic has stopped this spectacle.

It is finally time for the Grandest Experience on the THP Calendar, The Grandaddy from Callaway Golf and THP Golf. Callaway Golf’s Marketing Team will provide an all-access pass to Callaway HQ and R&D to 15 lucky THP’ers. After HQ tours and product presentations, it is off to the ECPC for a fitting for a full bag of Callaway Clubs. After this fitting there is a mad dash to get the equipment built to spec and delivered in time for the competition.

Then it is off to the exclusive Hideaway in Palm Desert for 2 days of golf competition between the THP Forum members and the marketing team of Callaway Golf. This event is extremely special to me, as yours truly represented THP in the 2017 edition. I’m a man of many words, however, I will never be able to describe to you how truly amazing this experience is with just mere words. If you know, you know, and if you don’t know, you want to know.

If you want to see what the Grandaddy is all about, check out this link to the 2021 Live Update Thread: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...andaddy-of-em-all-with-callaway-golf.8935703/

If you want to get down to the soul of this event, click here to see Al's speech from 2017. Al is a member of the Hideaway Golf Club, who welcomed the participants into his beautiful home and discussed what it was all about over drinks and delicious food. I played 36 holes with Al in 2017, and this man is a National Treasure and must be protected at all costs.

Al also previews what is coming for the participants here in this video:
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...ome-grandaddy-news-from-the-hideaway.8925461/

It doesn’t matter if you are a long-time member of the THP Universe or new around here, this is a follow that you don’t want to miss. This is the THP Universe at it’s finest, and you want to be in that number to see what happens to add to lore of this experience.

Now that I have gotten my “Hellos” out of the way, let’s take a moment to break down the event and lay down some odds.

When and Where
December 4th-7th
Carlsbad, CA and The Hideaway Golf Club in La Quinta, California

The courses that The Grandaddy is contested on, are at The Hideaway Golf Club (The Clive & The Dye) in La Quinta, California. The forum has numerous posts in about the two courses at The Hideaway Golf Club (The Clive & The Dye). At this post, I don’t know which of the two courses will be used during singles, but it should be noted that I found that The Clive is the easier of the two courses. I also found that The Clive was the most picturesque of the two courses, with The Dye providing a sterner test of golf.

If you want to research the courses in more detail, the following thread is a great place to start:

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...he-hideaway-golf-courses-review-thread.78989/

The Handicaps of the Teams:

Team Callaway:
(Combined Handicap- 7.0)

Captain: Jason Finley- 6.4 (+0.4)

Johnny Wunder- 1 (-0.7)

Kim Johnson- 1.1 (-3.7)

Austin Tudor- 1.6 (-0.4)

Luke Williams-1.8 (-0.2)

Keith White- 2.9 (First Appearance)

Zack Irons- 5 (First Appearance)

Zack Oakley- 5.9 (Same)

Dave Neville- 7.7 (-0.4)

Paul Winterhalter- 9 (-1.6)

Gordon Gray- 9.2 (First Appearance)

Billy Spack- 12.7 (First Appearance)

Nick Fergus- 15.5 (First Appearance)

Lex Eader- 17.2 (+0.5)

Where do we begin? Historically speaking this combined handicap of 7.0 is within the normal historical range for Team Callaway. Most interesting is the number of Grandaddy rookies this year for Team Callaway with 5 members of Team Callaway making their first appearance on this stage. Experience Rookies are a hard to project how they will do, however, the members of Team Callaway that have Grandaddy experience are like the 2019 LSU of a Grandaddy line up. The returning members have a combined match record of 79-28-14 (.738 Winning Percentage), and a 26-7-2 record in singles alone (.787 Winning Percentage).

Everyone knows what Captain Finley can do (19-8-4 career record, 6-2 in singles play), but up and down, the Grandaddy veterans on this team are just a bunch of dream killers. JRod in 5 Grandaddy appearances has the best record on the team at 14-2-1 (Perfect 5-0 in singles play). DNevs has been super impressive in his many appearances, with a 16-4-5 record (5-2 in singles play). Luke has also been a tough out with a 14-6-1 record (4-2 in singles play), although he did cost me a dozen Chrome Softs last year in his singles loss to mancest. Zach Oakley hasn’t tasted a defeat in any of this THP event appearances, Austin is 5-1 & Kim is 4-2, these recent additions have maintained the Callaway standard of excellent play. There isn’t anyone on this Team Callaway that has a losing record lifetime as both Lex & Johnny Wunder have .500 career winning percentages. My point is, it not a matter of whether they should be favored, the question really is by how much?
Note: JRod is a late scratch for Team Callaway, Paul Winterhalter is his replacement. Paul in previous Grandaddy appearance went 3-0 (1-0 in Singles).

Team THP: (Combined Handicap- 11.2)

Captain: @Mmaynard11 (11.9)

Ass Cap: @Muchmore18

@Jeff Spicoli (3.5)

@Kmench (3.8)

@Canadan (3.9)

@Briton G (4.2)

@PPFour12 (8.8)

@JB (9.5)

@oumagic (10.7)

@BigMac (14.5)

@Just_Brad (15.4)

@Bryndom (15.5)

@mtbloco (17.8)

@brians (18)

@PharaohHB (19.1)

Let’s start with what I love the most about this team is the fact that besides the Captain, Ass Cap, and one other there are no numbers in their forum names. I’m joking (maybe). Seriously, what makes this team a live dog, is experience. While only two members of this team have Grandaddy experience (JB & Canadan), there is only 4 event rookies on this team. While the Grandaddy is a big step up from what they have experienced before, it does help that the vast majority of this team has played team golf before. They were able to add 2 battle tested veterans late in the process, with the before mentioned JB (2-6 career record, 0-2 in singles) and the one who put the one in 8-1, Canadan (3-1 career record, 1-0 in singles). These two guys will help steady the ship, and help off set the 4 rookies (BigMac, JustBrad, Pharaoh, & Kmench). Note: Kmench & Pharaoh has been on the experience stage, but this is their first taste of this type of competition.

The 6 single digit caps on this team are the 2nd most single digit caps that we have sent to the Grandaddy (The most was 7 in 2021). The combined handicap of 11.2 is right on our median historical average, and 1.5 strokes better than last year’s team. While not mentioning other events, when you look up and down this roster you see names that have performed extremely well when we have seen them in the past (Spicoli, Briton, oumagic, Bryndom, mtbloco, & PPFour12). Captain Maynard is battled tested, the last time we saw him he was helping Team JDax to an emphatic victory at The Rivalry. There is a lot to like here, if the high caps brians & Pharaoh can just play to their number we could put them on upset alert. There is a path to the upset, there should be no pressure on this team to win, and that could make them dangerous.

Continued Below...

Last edited:
Format:

Traditionally, The Grandaddy is contested over 2 days in a Ryder Cup style competition.

Day 1 includes 2 sets of 9 hole matches with 14 points available. Shamble and Best Ball are the traditional formats on Day 1 (Pinehurst & Alt Shot has also been used in the past).

Day 2 is Singles competition with 14 points available. 14’ points wins The Grandaddy.

With the matches on Day 1 being of the 9-hole variety (they go quick) it is important to get off to a good start on Day 1 for any chance at victory. Also 50% of the total points in the event are on Day 1, making a quick start very important. If you are rooting for Team THP, they need to make a charge during the Shamble portion and hold one during the Best Ball stanza. A fast start is absolutely critical here, as deficits are very hard to overcome in singles play. In Grandaddy history, Team THP has never held the lead at the end of Day 1, and historically the singles format doesn’t favor Team THP at this event.

The Captain’s match is very interesting, as before Captain Finley helps me win a GOAT Cup ring, he’s going to attempt to crush Captain Maynard’s dream. Finley was in his normal form with a dominant singles win at the GOAT Cup earlier this year, while Captain Maynard will have to play a lot better than he did in his singles match at The Rivalry to give himself a chance. Captain Maynard is going to get 6 pops, and he’s going that have to make them count. Finley gives no quarter, but I believe that Captain Maynard will be ready for the challenge.

I’m also very interested in who Canadan & JB draw in singles, I know I have some preferred match ups in my head, but I’m looking forward to seeing how Captain Maynard approaches the pairings.

Opening Odds:

I haven’t even mentioned that Team Callaway plays with their own clubs, while Team THP has brand new gear that they haven’t played with until the competition starts, that is also an advantage for Team Callaway. Just like last year Team Callaway has 8 players with a handicap of 6 or better (Team THP has 4 players that meet this criteria). I’m going to have a lot more to say on the Preview Show, let me just say that it would be foolish not to make Team Callaway the favorite, but I do see the path to the upset for Team THP.

The range in handicaps gives Captain Maynard a lot of options to get creative with his pairings, and he knows he needs to get out of day one with at least 6’ points. There are a lot possible combinations where Team THP could be getting a ton of pops, and in quick Nine Hole matches a lot could happen in a flash. In the history of this event, Team Callaway has been down right dominating in singles play with a lifetime winning percentage of .650. Knowing that history, it is imperative that Team THP gets points on Day 1.

You aren’t going to want to miss the Preview Show, because I’m going to attempt to lay out the scenario that the upset happens.

Team Odds of Winning The Grandaddy:
Team Callaway -345
Team THP +275

Last edited:
Link to Preview Show:

This Sunday 12/3 at 7:30 PM CDT, join us while the Team is traveling in, as we break down the action.

Day 1:
IMG_1441.jpeg

IMG_1442.png
IMG_1443.png

Last edited:
Day 1 Match Odds:
(Team Callaway Listed First)
Shamble- 9 Holes *Two Way Odds

Match 1
Austin Tudor (1.6)/ Billy Spack (12.7) -110 W 2&1
@Kmench (3.8)/ @BigMac (14.5) -110

Match 2
Kim Johnson (1.1) / Nick Fergus (15.5) -265 W 5&4
@oumagic (10.7)/ @PharaohHB (19.1) +205

Match 3
Jason Finley (6.4)/ Gordon Gray (9.2) +120
@Jeff Spicoli (3.5)/ @Mmaynard11 (11.9) -165 W 2&1

Match 4
Zack Oakley (5.9)/ Zack Irons (5) +110 W 1Up
@Canadan (3.9)/ @JB (9.5) -155

Match 5
Johnny Wunder (1)/ Paul Winterhalter (9) -200 W 1Up
@PPFour12 (8.8)/ @mtbloco (17.8) +160

Match 6
Keith White (2.9)/ Dave Neville (7.7) -210 W 4&2
@Bryndom (15.5)/ @Just_Brad (15.4) +165

Match 7
Luke Williams (1.8)/ Lex Eader (17.2) -190 W 2Up
@Briton G (4.2)/ @brians (18) +150

Best Ball- 9 Holes *Two Way Odds

Match 8
Austin Tudor (1.6)/ Billy Spack (12.7) -110
@Kmench (3.8)/ @BigMac (14.5) -110 W 2&1

Match 9
Kim Johnson (1.1) / Nick Fergus (15.5) -265 W 2&1
@oumagic (10.7)/ @PharaohHB (19.1) +205

Match 10
Jason Finley (6.4)/ Gordon Gray (9.2) +125 W 1Up
@Jeff Spicoli (3.5)/ @Mmaynard11 (11.9) -175

Match 11
Zack Oakley (5.9)/ Zack Irons (5) +165 W 1Up
@Canadan (3.9)/ @JB (9.5) -200

Match 12
Johnny Wunder (1)/ Paul Winterhalter (9) -210
@PPFour12 (8.8)/ @mtbloco (17.8) +165 W 1Up

Match 13
Keith White (2.9)/ Dave Neville (7.7) -210 W 5&4
@Bryndom (15.5)/ @Just_Brad (15.4) +165

Match 14
Luke Williams (1.8)/ Lex Eader (17.2) -190 W 1Up
@Briton G (4.2)/ @brians (18) +150

Singles Match Odds:

Match 1
Jason Finley (6.4) -175 W 3&1
@Mmaynard11 (11.9) +125

Match 2
Dave Neville (7.7) -110
@Kmench (3.8) -110 W 7&6

Match 3
Paul Winterhalter (9) -150 W 4&3
@oumagic (10.7) +110

Match 4
Zack Irons (5) -110 AS
@mtbloco (17.8) -110

Match 5
Billy Spack (12.7) -110 W 3&2
@BigMac (14.5) -110

Match 6
Johnny Wunder (1) -220
@PharaohHB (19.1) +160 W 4&3

Match 7
Keith White (2.9) -265 W 3&1
@Briton G (4.2) +195

Match 8
Nick Fergus (15.5) +155
@Canadan (3.9) -210 W 3&2

Match 9
Gordon Gray (9.2) +100 W 3&1
@PPFour12 (8.8) -130

Match 10
Zack Oakley (5.9) -210 W 8&7
@brians (18) +155

Match 11
Lex Eader (17.2) -130
@Just_Brad (15.4) +100 W 4Up

Match 12
Luke Williams (1.8) -360 W 2&1
@Bryndom (15.5) +240

Match 13
Kim Johnson (1.1) -140 AS
@Jeff Spicoli (3.5) +110

Match 14
Austin Tudor (1.6) -195 W 2&1
@JB (9.5) +160

IMG_1450.png

Last edited:
Let me be the first to vote for GDX! Get it boys!

*not an actual entry- just throwing my support
Thank you for the support. Everyone is feeling good about their games. It's going to be a battle.

whelp..

Here we go.!!

Have to go with my THP’ers. Let’s get the belt back!

Paradym X 10.5

Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

THP wins it!
Paradym 9° driver

Its Time Vegas GIF by BPONGofficial

Here we go! Gonna get a lot of slack for this, but going off statistics. lol.

Team Callaway wins and Paradym Triple Diamond 9*!

Half Baked Boo GIF

Only because you were the first to put it out there 😂

Ladies & Gentleman, Boys & Girls… Children of all Ages. It is Time!!!

This year marks the 10th year anniversary of the greatest amateur golf event ever created. In this decade long run, only a global pandemic has stopped this spectacle

It is finally time for the Grandest Experience on the THP Calendar, The Grandaddy from Callaway Golf and THP Golf. Callaway Golf’s Marketing Team will provide an all-access pass to Callaway HQ and R&D to 15 lucky THP’ers. After HQ tours and product presentations, it is off to the ECPC for a fitting for a full bag of Callaway Clubs. After this fitting there is a mad dash to get the equipment built to spec and delivered in time for the competition.

Then it is off to the exclusive Hideaway in Palm Desert for 2 days of golf competition between the THP Forum members and the marketing team of Callaway Golf. This event is extremely special to me, as yours truly represented THP in the 2017 edition. I’m a man of many words, however, I will never be able to describe to you how truly amazing this experience is with just mere words. If you know, you know, and if you don’t know, you want to know.

If you want to see what the Grandaddy is all about, check out this link to the 2021 Live Update Thread: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...andaddy-of-em-all-with-callaway-golf.8935703/

If you want to get down to the soul of this event, click here to see Al's speech from 2017. Al is a member of the Hideaway Golf Club, who welcomed the participants into his beautiful home and discussed what it was all about over drinks and delicious food. I played 36 holes with Al in 2017, and this man is a National Treasure and must be protected at all costs.

Al also previews what is coming for the participants here in this video:
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...ome-grandaddy-news-from-the-hideaway.8925461/

It doesn’t matter if you are a long-time member of the THP Universe or new around here, this is a follow that you don’t want to miss. This is the THP Universe at it’s finest, and you want to be in that number to see what happens to add to lore of this experience.

Now that I have gotten my “Hellos” out of the way, let’s take a moment to break down the event and lay down some odds.

When and Where
December 4th-7th
Carlsbad, CA and The Hideaway Golf Club in La Quinta, California

The courses that The Grandaddy is contested on, are at The Hideaway Golf Club (The Clive & The Dye) in La Quinta, California. The forum has numerous posts in about the two courses at The Hideaway Golf Club (The Clive & The Dye). At this post, I don’t know which of the two courses will be used during singles, but it should be noted that I found that The Clive is the easier of the two courses. I also found that The Clive was the most picturesque of the two courses, with The Dye providing a sterner test of golf.

If you want to research the courses in more detail, the following thread is a great place to start:

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...he-hideaway-golf-courses-review-thread.78989/

The Handicaps of the Teams:

Team Callaway:
(Combined Handicap- 7.0)

Captain: Jason Finley- 6.4 (+0.4)

Johnny Wunder- 1 (-0.7)

Kim Johnson- 1.1 (-3.7)

Austin Tudor- 1.6 (-0.4)

Luke Williams-1.8 (-0.2)

Keith White- 2.9 (First Appearance)

Zack Irons- 5 (First Appearance)

Zack Oakley- 5.9 (Same)

Dave Neville- 7.7 (-0.4)

Gordon Gray- 9.2 (First Appearance)

Johnny Rodriguez- 9.9 (Same)

Billy Spack- 12.7 (First Appearance)

Nick Fergus- 15.5 (First Appearance)

Lex Eader- 17.2 (+0.5)

Where do we begin? Historically speaking this combined handicap of 7.0 is within the normal historical range for Team Callaway. Most interesting is the number of Grandaddy rookies this year for Team Callaway with 5 members of Team Callaway making their first appearance on this stage. Experience Rookies are a hard to project how they will do, however, the members of Team Callaway that have Grandaddy experience are like the 2019 LSU of a Grandaddy line up. The returning members have a combined match record of 79-28-14 (.738 Winning Percentage), and a 26-7-2 record in singles alone (.787 Winning Percentage).

Everyone knows what Captain Finley can do (19-8-4 career record, 6-2 in singles play), but up and down, the Grandaddy veterans on this team are just a bunch of dream killers. JRod in 5 Grandaddy appearances has the best record on the team at 14-2-1 (Perfect 5-0 in singles play). DNevs has been super impressive in his many appearances, with a 16-4-5 record (5-2 in singles play). Luke has also been a tough out with a 14-6-1 record (4-2 in singles play), although he did cost me a dozen Chrome Softs last year in his singles loss to mancest. Zach Oakley hasn’t tasted a defeat in any of this THP event appearances, Austin is 5-1 & Kim is 4-2, these recent additions have maintained the Callaway standard of excellent play. There isn’t anyone on this Team Callaway that has a losing record lifetime as both Lex & Johnny Wunder have .500 career winning percentages. My point is, it not a matter of whether they should be favored, the question really is by how much?

Team THP: (Combined Handicap- 11.2)

Captain: @Mmaynard11 (11.9)

Ass Cap: @Muchmore18

@Jeff Spicoli (3.5)

@Kmench (3.8)

@Canadan (3.9)

@Briton G (4.2)

@PPFour12 (8.8)

@JB (9.5)

@oumagic (10.7)

@BigMac (14.5)

@Just_Brad (15.4)

@Bryndom (15.5)

@mtbloco (17.8)

@brians (18)

@PharaohHB (19.1)

Let’s start with what I love the most about this team is the fact that besides the Captain, Ass Cap, and one other there are no numbers in their forum names. I’m joking (maybe). Seriously, what makes this team a live dog, is experience. While only two members of this team have Grandaddy experience (JB & Canadan), there is only 4 event rookies on this team. While the Grandaddy is a big step up from what they have experienced before, it does help that the vast majority of this team has played team golf before. They were able to add 2 battle tested veterans late in the process, with the before mentioned JB (2-6 career record, 0-2 in singles) and the one who put the one in 8-1, Canadan (3-1 career record, 1-0 in singles). These two guys will help steady the ship, and help off set the 4 rookies (BigMac, JustBrad, Pharaoh, & Kmench).

The 6 single digit caps on this team are the 2nd most single digit caps that we have sent to the Grandaddy (The most was 7 in 20210. The combined handicap of 11.2 is right on our median historical average, and 1.5 strokes better than last year’s team. While not mentioning other events, when you look up and down this roster you see names that have performed extremely weill when we have seen them in the past (Spicoli, Briton, oumagic, Bryndom, mtbloco, & PPFour12). Captain Maynard is battled tested, the last time we saw him he was helping Team JDax to an emphatic victory at The Rivalry.. There is a lot to like here, if the high caps brians & Pharaoh can just play to their number we could put them on upset alert. There is a path to the upset, there should be no pressure on this team to win, and that could make them dangerous.

Continued Below...
Yes it’s Live!!! Freaking reading this intro and I just busted out of my seat in the plane!!!

Yes, here we go! So excited for this team to get out to Callaway and experience all the amazingness that is about to hit them!!

No doubt about it, I'm going with Team THP!

Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 head, because why not!

Now let's get behind these guys, and cheer them onto victory!!

Champions League Sport GIF by UEFA

THP doesn't have a great history so don't blame you. We are looking to change that though.

THP doesn't have a great history so don't blame you. We are looking to change that though.
I'd love to see you all win it back though deep down inside.

I’m taking Team THP GDX!
Paradym X 10.5° 60g shaft

Best thread of the year.

I’ll allow it but you have officially been added to the list.

Back