CONTEST Live Update Thread: The 2023 GOAT Cup with Callaway Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Monday evening we kick off the 2023 GOAT Cup with Callaway Golf where two teams battle it out at beautiful ArborLinks. Playing alongside Jason Finley and Austin Tudor from Callaway Golf, two teams of four are ready to try and win the Championship Rings.

The Prize
Just because you are not at ArborLinks with us does not mean you can’t win. The lucky prediction winner will receive a prize pack full of Callaway goodies including equipment. This is one contest, you will want to enter and follow along to see how you did.

2023 GOAT Cup

The Contest
Pick which team you think will win and post it in this thread. Team Finley or Team Tudor.
Then you can follow along in this thread for the action and experience kicking off Monday evening.

Team Finley
@JasonFinleyCG (5.4)
@JB (9.8)
@Tryan (15.2)
@outlawx (23.9)

Team Tudor
@AT_CG (1.3)
@USAF Retired (6.2)
@Trmpt98 (15)
@scratchgolfjourney (18.9)

All entries must be turned in by the time the meet and greet kicks off on Monday evening.

2023 GOAT Cup Trophies

Itinerary
Monday Evening: Meet and Greet Dinner and SWAG party
Tuesday: 18 Holes of Golf. Shamble Matchplay Format
Tuesday: 9 Holes of Golf. Alternate Shot Format
Tuesday PM: Group Dinner with Callaway AMA
Wednesday AM: 18 Holes of Singles
Wednesday PM: Lunch with Group
Depart

Matchups Shamble(70% Handicapped)
@JasonFinleyCG & @TRyan vs @Trmpt98 & @USAF Retired
@JB & @outlawx vs @AT_CG & @scratchgolfjourney

Alternate Shot(50% Handicapped)
@JasonFinleyCG & @JB vs @Trmpt98 & @scratchgolfjourney
@TRyan & @outlawx vs @AT_CG & @USAF Retired

Singles(100% Handicapped)
@JB vs @Trmpt98
@JasonFinleyCG vs @USAF Retired

@TRyan vs @AT_CG
@outlawx vs @scratchgolfjourney

This live thread will kick off on Sunday evening and will be filled with tons of Callaway information. If you have questions you want answered directly from the source, ask them below.

Do not forget to make your pick on which team wins the 2023 GOAT Cup and then follow along to see how it all goes down over the course of the week and if you could win an amazing box of prizes from Callaway Golf.

2023 Goat Cup being held at ArborLinks

Continue reading...

Last edited:
As the THP Calendar moves on, we arrive to an Experience that is a Team competition that involves some of the best personalities in the THP Universe with one of the best supporters of our community in Callaway Golf. Let's take a moment and preview what we are going to see starting on Monday at ArborLinks in Nebraska City, NE. It's finally time for The Goat Cup!!!

1683250783917.png

When & Where
May 8th-10th
ArborLinks Golf Club
Nebraska City, Nebraska

THP goes off-grid to the Nebraska countryside, where surrounded by cornfields and prairie, they will find a golfing nirvana designed by The King himself. This links style course with it’s bend grass and sloping greens will provide a stern test of golf. It appears that accuracy on approach shots will be at a premium here.

See below for a closer look at that the participants will be dealing with:

https://www.dormienetwork.com/arbor...bd9yGrdqgVepTfvQJW5jt1oVbVMTONtIaAhQ0EALw_wcB

The Format:
Monday AM- 18 Holes: Shamble Format (Best Ball)
Monday PM - 9 Holes: Alternate Shot
Tuesday- Singles

I like this format, because I believe that this course lends itself to longer holed matches (especially that finishing stretch from 15-18). There is 8 points available in total, 4' points wins the Goat Cup. What I'm super excited about is that Alternate Shot is not only included in the format, but it returns to its 9-hole sprint to the finish THP roots. Last year the Alternate Shot section was played over 18 holes, I prefer the 9-hole sprint if I’m watching at home because of the maximum chaos factor.

The Handicaps of the Teams:

Team Finley- Combined Handicap: 13.6

@JasonFinleyCG (5.4)
@JB (9.8)
@Tryan (15.2)
@outlawx (23.9)

Team Tudor- Combined Handicap: 10.5
@AT_CG (1.3)
@USAF Retired (6.7)
@Trmpt98 (15)
@scratchgolfjourney (18.9)

On paper Team Tudor holds a significant edge on combined handicap front (10.5 to 13.6), this 3-stroke spread is on the higher end of the historical range for a THP Experience. In handicapped events, if games travel well the conditions exist to give us a super tight competition that goes deep into Tuesday. Before you start planning Team Tudor’s coronation (see what I did there), Team Finley is led by the destroyer of dreams, in @JasonFinleyCG. @JB has played sparkling in other THP Experience spots leading up to this one, and they also have an experienced hand to lean on in @Tryan. Tryan decided that if you can’t beat him, join him, and I would have made the same call. I don’t know a lot about event rookie @outlawx, but I do appreciate the fact that he doesn’t have numbers in his forum name.

Team Tudor has not only has a ball striker in Austin, but HWO member @USAF Ret in Wis, we know that USAF is a solid team member. @scratchgolfjourney sports the best head of hair in all of THP, but if his gear signature is correct, the top of his bag is cause for concern (his woods were new 2 Presidential Administrations ago). @Trmpt98 looks solid but, I’m not sure if I trust someone who plays Winn grips to hold up for 45 holes. The participants will also be playing their own clubs, this will add some comfort & familiarity to the participants. All of these factors make for a very unpredictable event. These questions will be answered by Tuesday afternoon.

Opening Odds:

Note: This is for entrainment proposes only, and to get some chatter built up about the Goat Cup. Not to hurt anyone's feelings.

I have the full docket of matches, this makes it a little easier for me to set a line. Last year’s edition of The GOAT Cup ended in a tie, which is always @Canadan ‘s stock pick. On one hand, it is hard not to make Team Tudor a favorite here as the lower combined handicap team, but on the other hand you have Death, Taxes, & Finley. In the past, when Finley has made an appearance before The Grandaddy he hasn't played as well as his normal self. Finley tends to peak in December, but this is May, and I’m not sure if we will get “Peak Finley” in this spot. The THP Universe is evenly split on percentage of picks, and I do like to index on THP event experience. TRyan, JB, and Finley is about as experienced as you can get. JB isn’t attempting to make swings until he arrives, that’s concerning me. When looking at Team Tudor, you know what you are getting in Austin & USAF, but the other two are wildcards. So….

Team Odds of Winning the 2023 Goat Cup:
Team Tudor -165
Team Finley +125 W 6-2

Day 1 Pairings & Odds: Shamble (2- Way)

@JasonFinleyCG (5.4) & @TRyan (15.2) v. -180 W 4&3

@Trmpt98 (15) & @USAF Retired (6.7) +155

@JB (9.8) & @outlawx (23.9) v. +200 W 2Up

@AT_CG (1.3) & @scratchgolfjourney (18.9) -250

Day 1 Pairings & Odds: Alt Shot (2- Way)

@JasonFinleyCG (5.4) & @JB (9.8) v. -250 W 2&1

@Trmpt98 (15) & @scratchgolfjourney (18.9) +200

@TRyan (15.2) & @outlawx (23.9) v. +165 W 1Up

@AT_CG (1.3) & @USAF Retired (6.7) -200

Day 2 Pairings & Odds: Singles (2- Way)

@JB (9.8) v. -220

@Trmpt98 (15) +180 W 5&4

@JasonFinleyCG (5.4) v. -165 W 4&3

@USAF Retired (6.7) +125

@TRyan (15.2) v. +125

@AT_CG (1.3) -165 W 3&2

@outlawx (23.9) v. +150 W 3&1

@scratchgolfjourney (18.9) -190

*Match Odds commentary held for the Preview Show

Last edited:
Preview Show Link: Sunday May 7th @ 7:00 PM Central

Last edited:
Team Tudor all the way!

I am going with Team Tudor

Going with the broken clock is gotta be right twice a day

Team Finley for the win here.

🔥

Team Tudor for the win! :drinks:

It is time 🔥

LFG Team Tudor 🔥

Team Finley ftw.

This is so hard to call. I’m going Finley but I feel like it gonna be really really close.

I'll go with Team Tudor.

Team Finley of course...

Team Tudor for the win!

I haven't ran the numbers, but since we have decided to give the Preview Show treatment for this one, I'll give a pick on the show.

Sticking with team Finley

Back