Loft jacking vs. score jacking?

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
I was sharing some thoughts from a thread today with a friend and his thoughts were as follows:

the loft jacking **** and, 'I hit my 7i __ yards' is the same as someone saying they shot 72. Without a tee reference what does it mean? Was that from the 65.7 tees, or the 75.6? Except we have a whole handicapping system that shines a flood light on the difference with that, so the bragging and wounded egos are less extreme. You have a direct comparison. The guy shooting par from the 65s can't really claim he's scratch or anything. With clubs it's apples and ... genetically modified super apples. And there's no system so people pride their numbers more and everyone gets all bent out shape.

Thoughts on this?

Both kind of impressive for amateurs to be fair, and would take at least a moderate amount of practice and effort to achieve. Why does it have to have an asterisk?

Both kind of impressive for amateurs to be fair, and would take at least a moderate amount of practice and effort to achieve. Why does it have to have an asterisk?
Par is awesome no matter how you do it.

I couldn't find a quote from this guy that I had posted about loft jacking in an old thread though, so I brought it up to get fresh material from him and this is what came out. 😆

And the reference point thing does probably impact how people feel about it all.

I am not really sure why people get so fixated on "loft jacking" and subsequently getting bruised egos over the distance that someone else hits their irons, lol.

If you care about that then you are focused on the complete wrong thing.

Par is awesome no matter how you do it.

I couldn't find a quote from this guy I posted about loft jacking in an old thread though, so I brought it up to get fresh material from him and this is what came out. 😆
That is true! I mean even from the 65.7 tees I’m not shooting par on my best day. The loft jacking thing I get - sort of like bragging about how much faster your twin turbo is over a stock 4 banger. I recently had a guy at work talking about his new irons and smashing his 7 “200+”. If I hit a 5 iron and he hits a 7 do I…….lose?

This all makes my head spin. After 18 holes it should become fairly clear who is honest about their game.

i hear 300yds thrown around a bit when waiting with other groups or even in groups i've played in...i kinda wish everyone knew what 300 yard drives looked like...then recognize the difference between the 300yd drive and a 300yd CARRY :ROFLMAO:...and that they're close to neither of them

being an internet golfer has ruined me.

If a guy is shooting from the 65.7 tees, he'd wouldn't be a scratch handicap if he was shooting pars. I looked back at my scores from last year and found one where I shot a 78 from 65.6/111 (5600 yards), and the differential was 12.6. To be a 0 differential from those tees, I would've had to shoot a 66! I was still happy with my 78 as it was a PB at the time, but I'm also not under any illusions that I could do the same thing from 72.4/136 and 7000 yards, either!

The loft jacking thing...meh. I don't get in sausage swordfights over how far I hit a club.

This all makes my head spin. After 18 holes it should become fairly clear who is honest about their game.
I don't think it's about honesty. In the example 72 is 72, and club distances actually exist.

UnlessSss you're saying that people playing genetically modified super apple 7 irons or shooting par from the forward tees are LYING or something. Are you saying that David?!??

please be saying that, even for the sake of thread spice

Also, why are you so judgey and MEAN?!? :p

Doesn't matter to me how far you hit a club. I also don't really care what the score is unless it involves some kind of competition. Don't cheat or try any shenanigans and we can be friends - do that and we can still be friends I just don't play with you in competition.

I updated my league spreadsheet and after 6 rounds this year overall I am +5 on total net. That just tells me as I am playing in competition that my handicap is correct and heading down. The only thing I care about at the end of the day is if I can pay for another round of golf. Scores, lofts, beers, and handicaps are all just numbers. who cares.

I was sharing some thoughts from a thread today with a friend and his thoughts were as follows:

the loft jacking **** and, 'I hit my 7i __ yards' is the same as someone saying they shot 72. Without a tee reference what does it mean? Was that from the 65.7 tees, or the 75.6? Except we have a whole handicapping system that shines a flood light on the difference with that, so the bragging and wounded egos are less extreme. You have a direct comparison. The guy shooting par from the 65s can't really claim he's scratch or anything. With clubs it's apples and ... genetically modified super apples. And there's no system so people pride their numbers more and everyone gets all bent out shape.

Thoughts on this?
Serious question, are there folks who shoot par from the forward tees claiming to be scratch? I thought that term applied to someone who had an index of 0 or better.
I know that loft jacking is kind of a hot topic but I've mostly stayed away from those discussions. Scoring low or hitting my clubs long are two things I'll probably never have to worry about.

When I post in the Trying to Break 100 thread, I usually post my differential as well as my score. Nobody cares.

Reactions: JB
Serious question, are there folks who shoot par from the forward tees claiming to be scratch? I thought that term applied to someone who had an index of 0 or better.
I know that loft jacking is kind of a hot topic but I've mostly stayed away from those discussions. Scoring low or hitting my clubs long are two things I'll probably never have to worry about.

When I post in the Trying to Break 100 thread, I usually post my differential as well as my score. Nobody cares.
I doubt it. That's kind of the point he was making. Well, actually, I know a couple old guys that kind of do.:unsure: Anyway, the point he was making is that 2 people can say they shot even par, but there's a tracking system that lets everyone know they're not quite the same thing. Where with 2 guys both hitting their 7i xxx yards, there isn't. I think.

I don't think it's about honesty. In the example 72 is 72, and club distances actually exist.

UnlessSss you're saying that people playing genetically modified super apple 7 irons or shooting par from the forward tees are LYING or something. Are you saying that David?!??

please be saying that, even for the sake of thread spice

Also, why are you so judgey and MEAN?!? :p
😆 I’ll admit I was woefully ignorant on both subjects prior to joining THP. Now I know far too much about loft jacking and I’m upset about some scores based on which tees I played. It’s madness!

I am not really sure why people get so fixated on "loft jacking" and subsequently getting bruised egos over the distance that someone else hits their irons, lol.

If you care about that then you are focused on the complete wrong thing.
your not sure why club distance is something that has meaning to peoples egos?
I mean Im not suggesting it should be ones primary focus. But I can certainly understand how and why folks can get bruised egos over it. How can ya not be sure why that is the case for may folks?
So much of this game is in almost every aspect about distance.
I mean its thrown at us that way via almost every angle possible. . From the pro game , the clubs we buy, the marketing of the clubs and the balls too, and the different sets of tees....etc...
Its all driven into our minds constantly. Almost all of us are impressed with pro distance and also when we see amateur's among us masses hitting far too.
People are proud of the long distance they can hit and others are ego disappointed if they are living on the short side (relatively speaking), Thats just human nature. Its also part of the game and what can make the game a bit (relatively speaking) better for the person.
Very many accept their distances but I can 100% understand how and why it bruises egos. Imo its perfectly acceptable to understand why and how.

Club jacking is no big deal for me. What ever the loft is for say a 7i, that's how far that 7i will fly the ball.

As for blue tees vs red tees, it still not a big deal. The whole idea of playing golf is to shoot the lowest score possible. What ever tee allows for the golfer to shoot their lowest scores, and they are happy, then so be it.

If a person wants to shoot an 86 from the tips, instead of an 80 from the reds, that's their choice.

I updated my league spreadsheet and after 6 rounds this year overall I am +5 on total net. That just tells me as I am playing in competition that my handicap is correct and heading down. The only thing I care about at the end of the day is if I can pay for another round of golf. Scores, lofts, beers, and handicaps are all just numbers. who cares.
Amen!

your not sure why club distance is something that has meaning to peoples egos?
I mean Im not suggesting it should be ones primary focus. But I can certainly understand how and why folks can get bruised egos over it. How can ya not get why that is the case for may folks?
So much of this game is in almost every aspect about distance.
I mean its thrown at us that way via almost every angle possible. . From the pro game , the clubs we buy, the marketing of the clubs and the balls too, and the different sets of tees....etc...
Its all driven into our minds constantly. Almost all of us are impressed with pro distance and also when we see amateur's among us masses hitting far too.
People are proud of the long distance they can hit and others are ego disappointed if they are living on the short side (relatively speaking), Thats just human nature.
Very many accept their distances but I can 100% understand how and why it bruises egos. Imo its perfectly acceptable to understand why and how.

I mean, sure, to some degree. I guess for the most part I see casual golf as 1v1; me vs the course.

This might be very easy for me to say because I have zero issues with hitting it relatively far. So maybe it's a bias, hard to say.

Last edited:
People. People care. Even some that say they don't. I'm kind of losing track already, but I think this is about why they do. Or might. And the difference/similarities on it with these two things.

Last edited:
Its not how far you hit it or what degree loft vs what number is on the club.

Its about how close you hit it. Hit it close enough, and nobody gives a crap what loft is on the club. Or how far it went. Or at least they shouldn't.

That being said, how far you hit it sells more clubs and makes more money than how close you hit it. Which is the duality of the conversation.

Club jacking is no big deal for me. What ever the loft is for say a 7i, that's how far that 7i will fly the ball.

As for blue tees vs red tees, it still not a big deal. The whole idea of playing golf is to shoot the lowest score possible. What ever tee allows for the golfer to shoot their lowest scores, and they are happy, then so be it.

If a person wants to shoot an 86 from the tips, instead of an 80 from the reds, that's their choice.
But it's about the same scores from different tees. And the same yardage with different 7 irons. And how people react to them and why.

Last edited:
People. People care. Even some that say they don't. I'm kind of kidding track already, but I think this is about why they do. Or might. And the difference/similarities on it with these two things.
People care because they want to say they are competitive. Jealous is the more likely answer. I put up 315 on the bench and the first thing some guy told me was it is because I have short arms. Nothing you do will be accepted as equal by anyone.

It's funny that even in a game like golf, there's a very definite machismo culture. Man up and play from the tips even if you have no business there, how far do you hit your driver, you only hit your irons that far because you're playing jacked lofts, you need to play low spin triple diamond drivers at 8° and low spin tour balls or GTFO, etc. It's like the equivalent of gym bros asking each other "how much do you bench?". A lot of flexing and worrying about what other people are doing.

Back