Loft jacking vs. score jacking?

It's funny that even in a game like golf, there's a very definite machismo culture. Man up and play from the tips even if you have no business there, how far do you hit your driver, you only hit your irons that far because you're playing jacked lofts, you need to play low spin triple diamond drivers at 8° and low spin tour balls or GTFO, etc. It's like the equivalent of gym bros asking each other "how much do you bench?". A lot of flexing and worrying about what other people are doing.

Don’t forget they did it in 2-1/2 hours and got 300 likes on Instagram while doing it. I’m think a custom set of irons labeled with letters instead of numbers would really be nice.

On the 'Jacked Lofts' question - my playing partners do sometimes ask what club I hit and they get given the number on the bottom... We're all seniors and I just happen to be the youngest and the fittest but.... contact is king so sometimes they are further than me anyway and who cares as long as we are all on the fairway/green/in play.

But when I was looking for newer clubs (I restarted after 20+ years and my Callaway GBB Golds were a bit dated) I looked for the most technology in a club head that I could find at a reasonable price on the assumption that the technology would help my off centre hits etc. Ended up with a set of Callaway Epic Forged with Steelfiber shaft from the CPO sale in as new condition, cheaper than most full sets at list price.

I've 4i through to SW (including AW and GW). All I know is that they feel better and produce better results than my GBB Golds - in comparison I'm probably hitting a 9i instead of a 7i so about 2 clubs different, but what's not important to me is 7i to 7i comparison from a distance perspective but 9i to 7i comparison from a dispersion perspective. I'm definitely hitting the 9i Epic Forged with less dispersion than the GBB 7i and it's stopping better on the green as well (when I hit it :) ). There are two weird things to me - I now carry 5 wedges... and am currently looking at the 4i replacing a 3w....

A

Fortunately I haven’t heard/witnessed anyone brag about how far they hit their jacked 7 iron in at least a few years. I do occasionally hear golfers use the term “scratch” very loosely to describe how good their son, friend, etc. is at golf but they are almost always non golfers(or very casual golfers) so it’s easy to ignore their lack of understanding for what it means to be a 0.0 index.

I do play with a lot of older guys who have gone to stronger lofted irons and any increase satisfaction they get from hitting their 7 iron 10+ yards farther quickly fades when they realize that they still have the same distance on approaches. On the other hand, when they go through a proper fitting and they get a new driver that they hit 10+ yards farther(likely with a loft increase over their previous driver) their satisfaction is real and lasting.

Yeah, I think so too... And I also think there are certain aspects of golf that are super irritating depending on the individual (like the 200 yard GI 7 iron guy excited about taking less club than the 200 yard blade 5 iron guy), because who the hell cares. Decent chance that the strike quality from the MB was superior, which is obviously the greater achievement, but that rarely gets talked about.

So, it's more of a 'stay in your own lane' sort of conversation to me, but also a 'be happy for people who are happy as long as they don't try to piss on your wheaties' kind of story.

I’m always happy for golfers to be excited about a good round, unless they are doing at someone else’s expense. I had a neighbor in CA for many years who took up the game of golf later in life and was the classic stroke shaver. A mulligan here, a free drop there, a do over on a 4 foot putt because he didn’t take his time, etc. It didn’t bother any of us when he was excited about shooting an “88” as he only played golf a handful of times each year and was a fun guy to hang out with. Several years later he started playing a couple times a week and improved. One day when we were away on a boys golf weekend, he had a good round with his typical shaved 6-8 strokes and as we were headed to the clubhouse for a beer, bragged that he had beat my friend Bob, to Bob’s face. Bob is the putt everything out type that carries and legit 10 index and he immediately called our friend out on all the strokes that he had shaved. The argument that ensued was fun to watch. Braggers can get very defensive when called out on their obvious cheating.;)

An interesting fact is I still do an annual boys golf weekend with that same group of neighbors that first met in 1998 even though we are now scattered across three different states. It’s usually on Super Bowl weekend, and the only one that doesn’t get invited is the bragger. :)

The human need for validation is Interesting

The human need for validation is Interesting

#livingthedreamlife

It’s no different than photoshopped pictures on people’s Facebook and whatnot.

Reality isn’t for everyone.

Golf is a matter of where your ball is, and how many strokes it took to get there. How you got there is irrelevant. Weather your club says 6 or 9 on the sole matters not, each swing is still one stroke.
Most people's score and handicap means very little, because very, very few people go a round without breaking a rule or 10.
I don't really care. I stay in my lane and we all have fun. Unless there is money on it. Then I will not suffer cheaters, but I love playing vanity handicappers...

So, have we finally got past "Loft Jacking Paradigm" as it appears less and less threads are being created about the subject?

• WTF
Reactions: JB
So, have we finally got past "Loft Jacking Paradigm" as it appears less and less threads are being created about the subject?
Huh?

But.... but.... but..... if i get new sticks and my new 7i is 27 degrees loft and my old one is 33 degrees.... i'm going to need to "discuss" somewhere, about relearning all my new club distances!! I have the memory of a goldfish and the transition to jacked more "modern" lofts is NOT going to be easy!! Someone's going to need to read then. like my wife, ignore the story about me hitting my new 7i 200 yds instead of.... wait, how far do i hit my old 7i ??? ugh.... this whole golf thing is difficult...

I can't wait until we start threads on gas golf cart mpg vs. electric equivalents.... or do we already have one.... 🤔

Back