Loft jacking vs. score jacking?

Depends on how many strokes you got and who won. :LOL:

And maybe what irons you play and how far they go.
This sounds like a dangerous game!

This sounds like a dangerous game!
I honestly have no idea wth is going on here. lol I don't know if you guys are losing your **** or accidentally drinking TWO C4s right as the house goes to sleep is giving me a caffeine induced acid flashback. All things are possible and may or may not be happening. :LOL:

i understand it's an analogy. I don't really understand the analogy though and how it correlates with one or the other. Lol 🤣🤣🤣

🤷🏼‍♂️

If a guy is shooting from the 65.7 tees, he'd wouldn't be a scratch handicap if he was shooting pars. I looked back at my scores from last year and found one where I shot a 78 from 65.6/111 (5600 yards), and the differential was 12.6. To be a 0 differential from those tees, I would've had to shoot a 66! I was still happy with my 78 as it was a PB at the time, but I'm also not under any illusions that I could do the same thing from 72.4/136 and 7000 yards, either!

The loft jacking thing...meh. I don't get in sausage swordfights over how far I hit a club.
This. The handicap system makes this analogy "unique". Just as someone hitting a 10.5 degree driver further than a 9 degree driver doesn’t need an asterisk or “system” neither do irons.

Last edited:
Well I'm about to buy a Cobra LTDx 7 iron to use as a utility iron to use after my 25* hybrid. Why? Because it's 26.5* and will slot very nicely based on my experience with RADSPEED last year. Guess what? I still won't hit it as far as @OldandStiff hit's his 7 iron, but I bet I hit it at least as far as the 6 iron in my set of Apex forged and I bet it's quite a bit more forgiving.

This whole topic just hurts my head. Probably one of the reasons we have pretty well played 2 man match play the last 2 years. Checks the egos on the first tee, end result just some good old team competitive fun.

Do people really worry about other golfers this much?

That being said, how far you hit it sells more clubs and makes more money than how close you hit it. Which is the duality of the conversation.

This is why most clubs are sold indoors next to demo bays full of launch monitors. It's hard for most folks to put down the potential 180yd 7-iron for the 160yd 7-iron, even if the latter is more consistent.

I f distance is your measure of effectiveness then "loft jacking" will be a thing. If the score is your measure, then you'll be more concerned with spin/launch optimize holding greens. Just my thoughts. We tell our students all the time if you are chasing the "A" that's what you'll get...if you take time to learn you'll get that and so much more.

I can proudly say I can ruin my round just as easily from the reds as I do the tips with just a bad swing.

To me, it comes down to what’s fun for the course you’re playing. My course, I have no urge to tip it out more than once a year. It’s fun to do once, but it’s a mid iron wear out that’s for sure. I need about 40 more yards to be able to make it fun.

The reds are much the same. Too close to be driver aggressive as it brings a whole bunch of trouble into play. When I’ve played the reds at my course, I find myself hitting driver maybe 4 times, and it’s more if I’m driving it well than just trying to overpower a par 5.

The thing that never gets mentioned on "loft jacking" threads is the other end of hte conversation. For example, we all talk about the guy that hits 7 iron 160 yards on a "traditionally lofted" club and then gets a modern GI club and hits it 200 or 210. What we rarely if ever talk about is a guy who wants to hit a 7 iron 160 but can only manage 130 because of his swing dynamics but get the GI club in his hands and sure enough, he hits it 160.

If your ego and golf identity include you hitting your 7i 200 yards, that's awesome. I can't do that. Let's go play golf.
If your ego and golf identity say you shot a 68 from the forward tees, that's awesome. I can't do that. Let's go play golf.

If your ego and golf identity include belittling me because I'm using my 6i on a 150 yard par 3 and you're hitting SW, then that's not great. And... you go on ahead. I've got to get something from my car... or the clubhouse. And we're not going to play golf together.🤷‍♂️

It all matters don't it. Slope on my local course is brutal. When I go play a course with a lot less slope my scores show are quite a bit better. Par from the tips and from the forward tees is night and day difference on some courses.

Some say things like, I play single digit cap and then I ask what course, what slope, and what tees do you play. That can get a raised eyebrow or two, but don't brag if you cannot back it up. As far as jacked lofts, it is simply a different club for the same distance, but different clubs matter. I play GI irons and they help me tremendously on those days where I cannot seem to find the center of the club face. BTW, you just have to "pepper" those lesser lofted clubs a tad more and you are good to go. :ROFLMAO:

The thing that never gets mentioned on "loft jacking" threads is the other end of hte conversation. For example, we all talk about the guy that hits 7 iron 160 yards on a "traditionally lofted" club and then gets a modern GI club and hits it 200 or 210. What we rarely if ever talk about is a guy who wants to hit a 7 iron 160 but can only manage 130 because of his swing dynamics but get the GI club in his hands and sure enough, he hits it 160.
It's as if, hear me out, improving one's game is the design purpose of those irons. They should call those irons "Game Optimizeration Design Length Improvement irons. GODLI irons, if you will.

Edit: Fixed the acronym

Last edited:
It's as if, hear me out, improving one's game is the design purpose of those irons. The should call those irons "Game Optimizeration Design Length Irons" . GODLI, if you will.

Last edited:
Isn't today's "loft jacked" clubs basically the same as old school clubs, when it comes to loft?
Old set had 4 - PW.
Loft jacked has 5 - GW.
Different numbers for essentially the same club?
Imo numbers on clubs dont mean anything at all. Instead of 6,7,8 we can call them A,B,C...none of it matters. In fact whenever anyone asks me what club i hit for a shot because they are trying to get an idea about distance/wind/elevation, etc....I always give them the yardage of my club and not the number. I mean we all hit different yardages so the number club is a moot point and I will simply say "that was my 180 yrd club"..... and then i might mention how well or not I caught it. That imo is fare more telling vs saying which number club it was.

Fwiw all tye irons with the "W" in it....like PW, AW, GW, LW...I say the same thing. They could simply just continue the iron numbers to 10i,11i,12i,13i ...etc..it doesnt matter. I often chuckle when one refers to any club with a W as being somehow more important. I mean the modern pw (or even AW for some folks) was basically the 9 like 15 years ago. But all of a sudden it somehow became more important. If we did away with the number 9 and put a MW (for midwedge) the iron would somehow gain more importance to people even even though its the same club.

this is kind of like a vanity handicap, isn't it? the guy who says he's a 3, then proceeds to shoot 95 repeating the mantra "i never do this" and "this is the worst i've played in 25 years." if it makes him feel good to say he's a 3, and it lines your pockets when he isn't a 3 and you win the match, who the hell cares? the opposite is so much more offensive to me.

This. The handicap system makes this analogy "unique". Just as someone hitting a 10.5 degree driver further than a 9 degree driver doesn’t need an asterisk or “system” neither do irons.
The handicap system makes the two things being talked about in the analogy "different", and no one but you is talking about drivers, but otherwise yeah.

I have a challenge to this.

Should dynamic loft supersede club loft? If you're claiming you hit a 200 yard 7 iron, but at contact you've actually turned that stock 7 into a stock 5, is it still a 7 iron? Adversely, if my 7 iron (bent strong) goes just as far as your 7 iron (stock), but my dynamic loft is a true 7 and yours is a true 5, am I the jacked lofter or are you?

Yeah, let's get heavy.

this is kind of like a vanity handicap, isn't it? the guy who says he's a 3, then proceeds to shoot 95 repeating the mantra "i never do this" and "this is the worst i've played in 25 years." if it makes him feel good to say he's a 3, and it lines your pockets when he isn't a 3 and you win the match, who the hell cares? the opposite is so much more offensive to me.
So VANITY CLUBS then???

That's a bit harsh. 😜

Feel good clubs sound better. Lol

To the jacked par thing, I think it's pretty simple...

If someone is jumping around celebrating an even par round from a set of tees that isn't 0.0 index, I'll celebrate with them. If they start bragging about being a scratch golfer, and they are my friend, I'll remind them what that word means if they don't let up. If at any point they start to compete with my scores (verbally), I'll again remind them.

If it's just their goal to shoot par from a set of tees, and handicap isn't brought up at all, I don't think this matters in the least.

Are iron lengths the same? Are weights the same? Is the metal composition the same?

I have a challenge to this.

Should dynamic loft supersede club loft? If you're claiming you hit a 200 yard 7 iron, but at contact you've actually turned that stock 7 into a stock 5, is it still a 7 iron? Adversely, if my 7 iron (bent strong) goes just as far as your 7 iron (stock), but my dynamic loft is a true 7 and yours is a true 5, am I the jacked lofter or are you?

Yeah, let's get heavy.

Feel Good dynamic! I like it. I suppose the opposite would be less-than-true? Oh! 'RETRO dynamic! :p

Back