long baller observations

I read somewhere that besides the vast majority most golfers averageing 100+ shots a round, most golfers average between 180-200 yards off the tee (and most think they average 240-250). I have only played with one guy who could legitimately drive the ball over 240 consistantly. He is about 5'10" and pretty skinny. So I think its right to say technique has a huge impact, flexibiliy is also probably more important than power, they guy I played with could rotate waaaaay back and still come through with a nice controlled swing.

I am driving my very best right now- and I max out at about 210-220. I play with some guys who say they can drive it 250, 270, and more. They out drive me for sure (when they are straight) but I have yet to see any of them come close to hitting over 250. Watching them, I can see they don't have the kind of rotation that the other guy has- and they clearly don't have the same kind of control. When they do bomb one its usually a massive slice- good on a dogleg, but mostly just a dog.

Funny thing is, they will say "wow you hit that at least 240!" when I hit a drive. But I am sure its never more than 220.

Flexibiliy and technique are the keys I think.

Perhaps once-a-year golfers...but I can't see a somewhat avid golfer who is not handicapped driving on average that short.
Well, actually...200 I could probably see. 180 though?!

Lately I've been able to get it out there 260-280, with ONE drive (and the first of my life) going over 300 last time out. But I LOOK like I'm swinging my heart out, and I am...whereas natural long ball hitters do it with ease and it looks effortless.

Perhaps once-a-year golfers...but I can't see a somewhat avid golfer who is not handicapped driving on average that short.
Well, actually...200 I could probably see. 180 though?!

Lately I've been able to get it out there 260-280, with ONE drive (and the first of my life) going over 300 last time out. But I LOOK like I'm swinging my heart out, and I am...whereas natural long ball hitters do it with ease and it looks effortless.

my brother is 5'11 about 190-200... he can hammer a golfball and it looks like he's not even trying...
if a callaway uPro is considered an accurate measuring device... we got him driving a green(actually it rolled off the back) at 312 against a 5mph or so wind in our faces... cut the dogleg completely out of the equation... flew the water/ the trees/ the traps... impressed the crap outta the guys we were paired up with... hell he reached a green 250 out with his 7w...
i literally have to come out of my shoes and pure it to get around 250 with a breeze at my back

Slow or fast play has little to do with skill level. I am a low handicap player and as many will attest to play absurdly fast. While other players I play with like a slower round.

If you can hit the ball straight, long or short, you can play absurdly fast. My best rounds of my life were played at a breakneck pace.

If you can hit the ball straight, long or short, you can play absurdly fast. My best rounds of my life were played at a breakneck pace.

the best round i ever had was just under 2 hours... it was winter... i had the course to myself... i didnt drive the ball farther than 220 that day... but everything went straight... 5 over

When you start using a GPS you find out how far you really hit it. The course I'm playing at this year has been soft and wet. There's not much carry out there. I know I've lost distance to weight gain and age gain. Turns out I was getting a ton of roll at my last course. Last Saturday I would say I averaged a little over 230 measured by GPS. It's not enough to score the way I want to. I need to either lose some weight so I can get a better turn, or hope the course drys out and there's more roll in the summer than there is in Spring, because it's really starting to tick me off.

I could see the average distance being 190 to 210 for all golfers, but like JB says, most guys under a 10 are hitting farther than 212. Hell, my last home course was filled with young guys that were absolute bombers. I've been to junior events with J.L. and have seen the practice tee filled with skinny teenage boys that were killing their drivers. There's a lot of long hitters out there. I wish I was still one of them.

Kevin

Slow or fast play has little to do with skill level. I am a low handicap player and as many will attest to play absurdly fast. While other players I play with like a slower round.
Absurdly fast does not even come close to describing JB's pace of play.

JB can play an entire hole in the time it takes Ben Crane to complete a swing.

I'm not a long hitter by any means. Longest drive is 302 on a downhill par 4. My average drive(basded off yardage markers) are in the 240-260 range. I have hit in the 270's and 280's a few times, but I must catch it pure.

My brother who has golfed maybe 6times in his life, picked up the club and nailed his very first drive 220, he is now(again after 6 rounds total) hitting his drives 240-250. Like mine walked off based on yardage markers.

I find it hard to believe that the "average" golfer hits it only 190-215.

Absurdly fast does not even come close to describing JB's pace of play.

JB can play an entire hole in the time it takes Ben Crane to complete a swing.

He does play super fast! I think the only time I bothered him was when I just had to take some extra time to see that alligator between the 17th and 18th! I did find myself not taking practice swings!

Back