Long Layoff: Rusty or Back in Action?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
After the winter layoff or just taking time away from the game, are you rusty or do you spring right back into action?

Usually doesn't take too long to get back going

If I take a month off or more, I usually play great for 1 or 2 rounds and then I go down hill fast until I can get back in the groove.

Definitely rusty. It took a month or so to get back on track.

A little rusty. Mostly with the long irons, but a couple of rounds and range sessions and I'm good to go.

I'm usually rusty after the winter lay-off. It takes me 4-5 times at the range and then another 4-5 rounds of golf to get comfortable again.

winter? the 2 weeks I was out after surgery made me rusty...oh wait, I was rusty before that as well :ROFLMAO:

It'll take me a round or two to get back into it, usually just going to the range once or twice before a round of golf helps a lot as well.

If I take a month off or more, I usually play great for 1 or 2 rounds and then I go down hill fast until I can get back in the groove.

Must be an upstate NY thing. I usually play very well for my first few rounds of the year before I show signs of rust. I think it has to do with swinging easy and concentrating on making solid contact.

rust sets in for me with only a few weeks of a layoff. I am thankful that I live in year round golf.

I have no norm in this area. There are years where I pick up a club and I'm playing what I would consider normal. Then there are years where it takes me as much as a month to get back to feeling good in all aspects of the game. Driver and short game are where I really see the rust when its there.

This is me, exactly. I think it's because those first 2 rounds i'm not thinking at all, I'm just glad to be out golfing again. Once that 3rd or 4th round comes along, I know what needs improvement so I'm over thinking that aspect of my game, and something won't be working until I get back in that groove.

It takes a bit to knock the rust off & get back into the groove & not go back to the bad habits that you broke the previous season.

I've been hitting the sim once a week trying to hold off the decay, I'll see if it paid off next week when I get back on to a real course.:golf:?

Generally back to good form after a round or two.

What winter break? In Texas, winter is the best golfing weather all year long.... it's 75 outside today

Always rusty. Winter is brutal on the golf game. Takes months to get in prime shape, just in time for the season to be over and the vicious cycle starts all over again

Definitely rusty, especially with short game / touch shots. Usually longer clubs are ok.

my game is usually WAY better. probably because I dont expect much and play with a clear mind and free swing. once I start thinking about playing better thats when it all goes down hill.

Based on my results this weekend, rusty. Short game and touch shots suffer the most for sure.

I usually seem to spring right back into it, pun intended, for whatever reason I usually play pretty decent after a layoff

It's weird. I feel like my first time out after a winter break is usually one of my best. Then after a few rounds, I see the rust. Not sure what that's all about.

Maybe all the adrenaline and high of being back on the course helps my game a bit at first and then reality sets in.

I can golf good or really crappy no matter whether I’m playing a lot or haven’t played in months. A couple of my best rounds ever have been after long layoffs. Sometimes if my only swing thought is “don’t miss the ball” I play really well. I’m not trying to press or thinking I can pull off low percentage shots, just looking for solid contact.

Conversely I’ve played really bad after a lay-off as well.

The golf gods giveth and they taketh. You never know what’s coming.

This is my first New England winter and while it’s been quite mild (allegedly), I find ways to keep my swing in check.

In fact, I just discovered a covered driving range near my work that has heated bays and is open year round. Keeps me from getting rusty!

I get rusty pretty fast I think. My swing still doesn't feel very natural to me, and seems to require a good bit of maintenance.

Back