LPGA Final Group Fined For Slow Play

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The final group was put on the clock yesterday, and eventually fined 2,000 dollars for slow play.

In total, the round took 5 hours and 45 minutes to complete for the threesome, forcing coverage to get bumped to a different channel.

What are your thoughts?

Guess I’d want to know how far behind the group in front of them finished. Still, 5:45 is friggin’ nutz.

Rules be rules.

Also yes, if they were the issue. As long as it's done evenhandedly. However a final group I will assume that 2k isn't that big of a deal for them, barely even a slap on the wrist.

I think it needs to be defined better and held to on all major golfing programs. If the course says it should take 4h for a normal round (clubhouse rules) then maybe give 4:30 or something and then figure out how it should be handled, that'll force pace of play.

I saw that JT tweeted that it wasn't the right decision, but I think that 5hrs 45mins to complete a round of golf is just ridiculous

Rather than fine them, I think they should add penalty shots to their score as that is likely to be more of a deterrent than money, especially to the higher paid players

“Ms. Thompson:

Not only did you blow another chance at a major championship thanks to really poor short-distance putting and a bladed chip that made you look like a rank amateur, we’re deducting two grand from your second place check.

Signed,
LPGA Tour”

Guess I’d want to know how far behind the group in front of them finished. Still, 5:45 is friggin’ nutz.
Yesterday, if I am remembering this correctly, when the final group was on the 17th tee and placed on the clock again, the group ahead of them had already teed off on 18.

So, the group ahead of them wasn't exactly setting a blazing pace, either.

Make Chun speed up. She was excruciatingly slow.

I think once they get put on the clock, they should start looking at/timing individual players to figure out where the problem is. If it's all of them equally, hit them all with the fine. If it's one person dragging the group down, they should be the one held responsible for it.

One thing I have said repeatedly about the disease otherwise known as slow play, is that consistency is the most critical aspect of enforcing it.

There is no way a 5 hour and 45 minute round should have taken 16 holes to get anyone on the clock. I suspect that should have happened on hole 2.

There is no way a 5 hour and 45 minute round should have taken 16 holes to get anyone on the clock.
The announcers mentioned that they had been on the clock at least once earlier in the round when they were on the 17th tee.

I'm not sure when. I only saw the last 4-5 holes (so almost 2 hrs, worth :p).

The announcers mentioned that they had been on the clock at least once earlier in the round when they were on the 17th tee.

I'm not sure when. I only saw the last 5 holes (so almost 2 hrs, worth :p).
Yeah, that wasn't the first time they were put on the clock. Chun's group got put on the clock Friday and/or Saturday as well, IIRC.

I don't get how the people who run these and organize the tournaments week in and week out can't fix it. Almost 6 hours for a round is ludicrous. The only time my rounds go that long are at charity scrambles with 2-3 teams per hole and more alcohol being consumed then golf being played.

That amount of time is INSANE! The fine isn't enough. It should be more and there should be other consequences

That is municipal public golf pace, that's nuts

It sucks that they cut off the coverage from the main feed, but there is no way that round should be taking almost 6 hours. I am in favor of penalty shots over fines and strict enforcement of the rules. Very few people have the time or patience to watch a round of golf that takes that long.

That's ridiculous ... 5 hours & 45 minutes! But the only reason they were fined IMO is because they had to go to another channel. :unsure:

I guess I ask what are we really talking about here. Putting someone on the clock with two holes to go in a major seems off. That said, I can appreciate the tv coverage, but the PGA doesn't get booted off air in majors so work with your broadcast partners. And 5:45 is nuts, but the slow play issue is a such a larger conversation than one group.

Almost 6 hours for a 3 some of professional golfers. Yikes.

Penalty strokes, not fines is the best deterrent to professional tournament slow play.

A $2K fine is nothing. It's like an after thought by officials who felt something had to be done.

Then again, this was the last group,. They only impacted the tv people, who probably used the extra time for show more commercials. Bonus money for them.

The pace is ridiculously slow, but it seems like it was throughout the course. It's not like the rest of the field played in 4.5 hours. Yes, the group was slow, but even if they had been "fast", it still would have been a 5 hr 15 min round...

Penalty strokes, not fines is the best deterrent to professional tournament slow play.

A $2K fine is nothing. It's like an after thought by officials who felt something had to be done.

Then again, this was the last group,. They only impacted the tv people, who probably used the extra time for show more commercials. Bonus money for them.
I don't see a Tour ever using strokes to punish slow play.

You've have to be almost robotic with it across all four rounds for all players which would be particularly challenging.

I guess I ask what are we really talking about here. Putting someone on the clock with two holes to go in a major seems off. That said, I can appreciate the tv coverage, but the PGA doesn't get booted off air in majors so work with your broadcast partners. And 5:45 is nuts, but the slow play issue is a such a larger conversation than one group.
Is it reasonable to compare the two Tours?

Also, other than Majors (which i cannot speak to), I do believe coverage shifts on the PGA tour as well.

Poor Lexi.

Back