MacTS´s journey from newbie to hopefully single digit handicapper one day

MacTS

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi All,

I truly enjoy reading threads about peoples journeys to become better golfers so I thought I would create my own. I do this both for my own sake, since I think it will be fun for me, but also maybe others will enjoy following my journey.

Let me start with some background:

I am 42 years old,live in Sweden and I am married with three children (16, 14, 12 years old). I have always known that the day I would start playing golf I would get hooked, so I have not dared to start until now when my kids are older....and yes I was right, I got hooked directly!

My older sister started playing last summer and during my vacation I followed her on one round on a pay & play course (9 holes) and really liked it. When I got back to work an old friend, who happens to work at the same (quite big) company contacted me and asked if I would be interested in starting playing golf....my answer was YES! Two relatives to him was also interested to start, so we were 4 guys starting playing together.
I already had some old clubs that I got for free from a former boss at work some years ago, so I started using them and we played some more pay & play rounds during the autumn. Late last season I bought a set of used Callaways from another work colleauge (X-18 irons, old Big Bertha Driver, a bit older 3 hybrid and 3 wood and a new Odyssey putter). Getting these clubs was a big improvement from my first really old set.

During last winter we played appr. every second week in a indoor simulator and I also changed some clubs (Nike Covert 2.0 driver, TM R11 4wood and Cobra Baffler 4 hybrid).

In Sweden you need to get an official handicap to be able to play most courses, so as soon as we could we joined a local club, booked a newbie course with the club PRO and did some classes and then we got our handicaps.
Also in Sweden (maybe it is the same everywhere) first you get a so called "Club Handicap" of 54 and then you play yourself down to 36 hcp which is then a "official handicap" and you are then allowed to play more or less everywhere.

My target is (besides having fun) to one day get down to a single handicap figures. I should add also that my home course is a 9-hole course and I mostly play 9-hole rounds due to work and family commitments.

So there is some background and here is my journey so far:

I got my club handicap of 54 in beginning of April and I quite quickly played me down to 36 hcp which was a nice feeling.
In mid May I had hcp 23, 4 and I decided to enter my first competition (a low key competition at my home club). None of my friends entered, but I thought "what the heck" and entered the comp anyway. The night before the competition I actually was quite nervous and had some sleeping problems, which was a feeling I had not experienced for a long time:) Anyway on the morning of the competition I got paired with some really cool people in my ball and I told them directly that I had not done this before, but they were very helpful. We had a fun round in very windy conditions and I thought that I at least had played decent and did not need to be ashamed of myself.....on the prize giving I got very confused when they announced that I had actually won the competition (18 persons entered). As I mentioned it was very windy and I probably got a bit lucky and I had 33 points on 18-holes (1 point more than 2nd placed).

I really got a kick out of this competition and this coming weekend I will play another one. This time a greensome (18 holes) which I will play in the same team as one of my mates. Will surely be fun!

At the moment my hcp is 21,4 and originally my target for this season was to get below 20. I sure understand that it will be harder and harder to lower my scores/hcp, but I think I will re-think the yearly target and maybe strive for 18.
I would call myself a "bogey-golfer" right now. In a normal round most of my holes will be bogey, with maybe a par or two thrown in there as well as a double bogey.

I really need to work on my short game. I have a decent "low flight-PW-pitch-shot" which works if I have some green to work with, but I am not very confident when the flag is close to my side of the green. Need to work on higher shots with my 56 wedge. I can make them sometimes...but it is like a 50/50 chance that it will be a bad shot. So short game training needed!

My driving is OK. I guess I normally hit appr 220 m and mostly land on the FW or close by in the semi ruff.

Iron play is also kind of OK. I mostly hit the ball quite good, but still have some issues with aiming it towards the target, so often I tend to land a few meters beside the green instead of on it, so definatelly room for improvements there as well.

So there is my journey so far. Next up is the greensome comp on saturday, and due to other commitments I will probably not have the time to play any rounds before it (I did play 9 holes yesterday night). I will get some shortgame practice in however in my backyard...maybe even getting a tiny bit of confidence with the 56 degree.....

I will update this thread hopefully quite often, and probably bugger you all for advice as well:bulgy-eyes:

good luck along your journey and will be interested to follow along.

I have to admit...I misread the title of this thread and thought it said journey from newbie to single digit IN one day..hahaha...that really had me curious..

Good luck on your journey...make sure to continue to have fun. Don't get discouraged when the number doesn't keep dropping as fast as it has so far...and be ready for the bounceback period...the week-month or so when something goes wrong and your handicap starts growing again instead of shrinking...If you can come out of that still fired up and enjoying the game you will have jumped one of the biggest hurdles standing in the way of your goal. Enjoy it.

Good luck on your journey! Keep at it!

I have to admit...I misread the title of this thread and thought it said journey from newbie to single digit IN one day..hahaha...that really had me curious..

Good luck on your journey...make sure to continue to have fun. Don't get discouraged when the number doesn't keep dropping as fast as it has so far...and be ready for the bounceback period...the week-month or so when something goes wrong and your handicap starts growing again instead of shrinking...If you can come out of that still fired up and enjoying the game you will have jumped one of the biggest hurdles standing in the way of your goal. Enjoy it.

Thanks. Yes doing that in one day would be interesting:) I totally get what you mean with the bounce back periods and the pace of number dropping. I actually have had a couple of handicap growing rounds already, and I am sure that it will be many more in the future as well....

I should also add that together with my friends we have a year long "competition" where we can win or loose beers in every round we play against eachother. At the end of the season some people will have won beer and some will have to pay beer and we will have one big party...so that put some extra motivation for each round:)

Good luck on your journey. You sound like you are on the right track. Really focus on your game from 150 yards and in (including pitching, chipping, and putting). If you can get really efficient from there, your handicap will drop like a rock.

Good luck! It sounds like you have a good group of guys to play rounds with, which is very important.

Welcome to THP and congrats on winning your first tournament!

Good luck with your journey. Excitement for the game is a wonderful thing!

Set small milestone goals so you don't get frustrated. Golf is hard.

Set small milestone goals so you don't get frustrated. Golf is hard.

Yes, I agree. Small milestones are good to get the feeling of achievement

Good luck on your journey. You sound like you are on the right track. Really focus on your game from 150 yards and in (including pitching, chipping, and putting). If you can get really efficient from there, your handicap will drop like a rock.
Thanks! Will do! At my course there is also a 9-hole par 3 course which is perfect for training that.

Welcome to THP and congrats on winning your first tournament!
Thanks!

Had a decent 9- hole round today as preparation for the comp tomorrow. No blow up holes and got 18 points. Had three very close putts that lipped out.

Update after today's rainy competition. Me and my team mate got 2:nd. It was really tight in the top positions. We were 0,4 shots (after hcp deduction) after the winners and the 3rd placed were 0,4 shots behind us. First 9 was not very good, but last 9 we played great. Nice day!

Learn your real strengths, mine has always been a nice smooth 100 yard wedge. If I hit a bad one or unsure about being able to reach a green . I will do all I can to see what it takes to layup to the 100 yard marker. Easier for me to get up and down from 100 yards versus a green side deep pot bunker or difficult pitch over that bunker .

Good job and keep at it!
You should see improvement if you work with your wedge, and maybe take a dedicated short game lesson for some of the trickier shots, to get the proper techniques down.
Well done!

Good job and keep at it!
You should see improvement if you work with your wedge, and maybe take a dedicated short game lesson for some of the trickier shots, to get the proper techniques down.
Well done!
Thanks, I have actually taken a couple of lessons focusing on short game, and I think that I know the techniques. Just need to practice more to get confident on my higher lofted wedges

Learn your real strengths, mine has always been a nice smooth 100 yard wedge. If I hit a bad one or unsure about being able to reach a green . I will do all I can to see what it takes to layup to the 100 yard marker. Easier for me to get up and down from 100 yards versus a green side deep pot bunker or difficult pitch over that bunker .
Good points. I am not sure about my strengths yet:) It seems to vary a bit between rounds, but I do agree. At the moment I try to practise all aspects of the game.

Good luck on your journey, congrats on your win. It'll be fun following you along in this.

Had a great round today where I shot 82 (par 70). I played alone, so can not lower my hcp with this round, otherwise I would have reached my "below 20hcp" which is/was this years target. At least I know I have it in me!

Had another 9-hole session yesterday. Played ok, but not great. I am focusing on using my 56-wedge for most short play at the moment to learn and that cost me a couple of shots, but I think it will be worth it in the end to be better with that club. Starting to get some confidence with the 56 degree at least. Scored 16 points. Planning for next round on wednesday and should be able to fit in some range training tomorrow with wedge focus.

Well, I seem to have reached a plateu/backlash or something at the moment, and my game is not that good....I have decided to buy my self out from the problems by getting new irons:) Ok, I know it may not help that much, but shiny new things are always nice. I will go to a shop tomorrow morning and test some GI sets. Right now I think I will go for Wilson D-200, but we will see what results I get tomorrow when testing.

Time for a little update.
I did buy a Wilson D-200 iron set (5-pw) last week. I also bought a Cobra Big Trusty 50 degree wedge to replace a Callaway 52 degree. I got the wedge for two reasons. One is that the gap is better since my new PW is a bit stronger in loft compared to my old and also I have had trouble hitting the old 52 good.
Since then I have shot a few buckets on the range, played a few holes by myself to get to know the new clubs and I have played two 9 hole rounds. This Sunday I played quite well except for the short game (and partly driver) and I played on my par. Today I played another 9 hole round and I played very well. Good contact with my irons and for my standard: great short game, so I managed to get 24 points on 9 holes which means that I lovered my hcp from 21,4 to 19,0 which I am very happy for. Below 20 was the original target for this season and now I revise the target to get below 18 hcp for the year.

On Saturday it is time for a 3 man scramble competition which should be fun! Before that I will spend some time on the range working on my driver that have somewhat not been so good the last two rounds.

Enjoying following along.

So, time for a little update:
This Saturday I played a 3 man scramble comp with two friends in my team, and I have mainly learned two things from that experience:

1. Do not have a big party the day before the competition
2. If you for some reason ignore the point not having a big party, at least make sure that your team mates are not on the same big party.....

We failed on both points:beat-up:

We did not play that bad, but on the last 4 holes I was completely drained of all energy and had trouble hitting longer shots and it was pretty much the same for my team mates:)
All in all it was a fun day though with very nice weather. It was very tight and although we finished in 10th place we only had 3 shots up to win the comp.

Played 9 holes after work today and played great. Started quite bad with a double bogey (incl a 3 putt) and went on with a bogey (another 3 putt) but then it turned! Made one birdie and some pars and managed to get 20 points on the 9 holes which made my hcp go down to 18.2.
The strong points today was iron approach shots. I think I made 5 of 9 greens and another one very close to green, which are very good numbers for me. Two of the approach shots was appr 150 m where I used 6 iron and I was very glad to get on the green with those shots.

Back