Making the Turn: Who Has Priority?

What's the order at the turn?

• 1. Golfers making the turn have the right of way

Votes: 67 88.2%
  • 2. Golfers starting their rounds have the right of way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. My course only starts on the first tee - I have no idea what you're talking about

Votes: 9 11.8%

• Total voters

Junkyard

Will Travel for Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am pretty certain we discussed this a while back, but a search didn't turn anything up. We had a situation this morning where I think the starter made a mistake. We were the first group out on the Woods nine, which turns to the Lakes nine. We played in 1:48, and just as we started to walk off 9 green the starter sent two groups to what would have been our 10th tee. While we played the front in a steady drizzle, it was starting to clear up a bit and we would have continued on if there hadn't been anyone in front of us. We packed it in and hit the clubhouse for refreshments.

What's your opinion on this - should golfers making the turn have priority for the 10th tee? I can see both sides - the course needs to get the scheduled times out as a start on each nine, but at the same time once a pace is established it should be maintained IMO.

Golfers making the turn should absolutely have priority over golfers starting their round.

I guess it would be up to the individual course to determine that, but at my old course the golfers making the turn had the right of way. But unless it's an 18 hole course with one 9 closed and you're playing the same 9 twice (which was the case at my old course), this shouldn't ever happen.

Did you only pay for 9?

It’s always golfers making the turn. Absolutely.

Definitely golfers making the turn

I can’t answer the survey because I’m unclear on if you were originally scheduled for 9 or 18.

I would say players making the turn who were scheduled/paid for 18 have priority.

If they had previously paid for or were only scheduled to play nine and wanted to continue, though, I’d say the ‘new’ group would have priority (FCFS).

I don’t know if a decent pro shop would try to coordinate mixing in new groups off the back. Maybe it can reliably be done?

At my home course, on busy days the pro shop will tell you an approximate idea of when the last group will be making the turn. You're expected to keep an eye out for them and give way, even if it might mean teeing off 5-10 minutes later than your tee time.

But it's rarely that busy outside of peak season so it's pretty much up to each group to do what they think is right. My usual group will look down the 18th fairway for any groups that started on the back nine and are running slow. If they're almost done we wait on them, if they still have most of the 18th to play we go ahead and tee off ahead of them.

Common sense and courtesy, in other words.

Golfers making the turn should have priority and to add to that courses who try and sneak off groups are annoying and I likely won’t return

I've been told it is option 1.

If someone is adamant about it, I'm not going to get into a fist fight over it. Their group can go first as long as they play ready golf.

Turn always has priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t answer the survey because I’m unclear on if you were originally scheduled for 9 or 18.

I would say players making the turn who were scheduled/paid for 18 have priority.

If they had previously paid for or were only scheduled to play nine and wanted to continue, though, I’d say the ‘new’ group would have priority (FCFS).

I don’t know if a decent pro shop would try to coordinate mixing in new groups off the back. Maybe it can reliably be done?
My course has 27 holes, and they always start golfers off of two nines, with one of them turning onto the other. We are usually the first group off our nine, and every now and again we play fast enough that when we arrive at the turn the groups starting their rounds haven't finished yet. Sometimes Malcolm will send us out a different way if the first group to turn is still playing the ninth.

We were scheduled for 18, it was just the weather that was making it questionable. I'd say the majority of the other starters at our course would have seen us coming up the ninth and told the group that was next to start on that tee that they would follow us. Instead the lady that was working today saw us, and sent both of the remaining groups over together so that they would be in line ahead of us.

Golfers making the turn should have priority and to add to that courses who try and sneak off groups are annoying and I likely won’t return
Not really a case of them sneaking groups off, just a case of us finishing our nine before the two hour window of starting times for the nine we're headed to. 90% of the time they give way to us, but not today.

The responses have pretty much been what I expected.

Once or twice I have had to assert the rule that attempting to start on 10 when we are making the turn is a bad idea. I’m not going to get in a wrestling match but no group is going to insert themselves in front of us.

Making the turn has priority, at #10.

We have a 9 hole course that has the problem solved. When booking tee times later than 90 minutes after open, you’re informed that your tee time may be delayed 10 minutes max to accommodate a turning group.

Golfers making the turn, always.

27 hole setups stress me out.
Especially when they tell me I expect you to play at their calculated pace, if you come in faster you'll just be waiting.

I would say making the turn but my course doesn’t start at both 1 and 10 they have a sign for whichyou start at and you ask start there. So half the time9 is your last hole and half 18 is your last hole.

Definitely should be those making the turn in my mind. That's crappy they did that. That would piss me off.

My course has 27 holes, and they always start golfers off of two nines, with one of them turning onto the other. We are usually the first group off our nine, and every now and again we play fast enough that when we arrive at the turn the groups starting their rounds haven't finished yet. Sometimes Malcolm will send us out a different way if the first group to turn is still playing the ninth.

We were scheduled for 18, it was just the weather that was making it questionable. I'd say the majority of the other starters at our course would have seen us coming up the ninth and told the group that was next to start on that tee that they would follow us. Instead the lady that was working today saw us, and sent both of the remaining groups over together so that they would be in line ahead of us.
Ya if you are planning on 18 then sending people off in front of you is definitely not the play. You guys should have the right of way.
when I worked at the private club we had 27 and typically we would have a main “18” rotation every day and then an “off” 9 holes… for the ones only wanting to play9 and then if theywant to play 18 they would turn to the front nine of the main 18 if there is room when they turn

My home course is a 9-hole track. When you book for 18, they reserve the initial tee time, and one more later on in the day at the average course pace. So if you book for 10am, you'll automatically also have a tee time for noon.

Generally though, if you play quicker than course pace, you just jump in line at the #1 tee box. If I'm solo, more often than not I'll get waved through.

Back