Mallet or Blade: Which do you prefer?

I sort of settle somewhere in the middle. My putter isn't really a blade, but isn't a mallet ... so mid-mallet.

I grew up with a myriad of putter options. I’ve stuck with a Ping Anser after my first round. I’m a self-admitted “putter ho,” and buy/try putters several times a year. I’ve tried several mallet putters (especially the last two years), but still come back to an Anser-style model.

It just looks/feels better to me. I’m sure it’s force of habit, but it works!

I prefer the blade for sure, I've always had trouble with speed, especially on longer putts with a mallet. That being said, TM's new spiders could have probably made it into the bag for a bit if not for the price tag.

We might need a thread just for the many of us who seem to prefer putting with blade putters but get better results from mallets. Kind of like "Women who love too much" it could be "Golfers who love blades but play mallets".

There is one putter shape that putts better than anything else for me, and it annoys me to no end.

The biggest issue I have with my blade shape, is lipping putts instead of making them. My distance control is excellent, I just lip more than I want to.

OITW;n8892207 said:
Blade - back to the Nead after trying some odyssey goodness

I knew you couldn't stay away :cool:

canadan;n8892504 said:
there is one putter shape that putts better than anything else for me, and it annoys me to no end.

The biggest issue i have with my blade shape, is lipping putts instead of making them. My distance control is excellent, i just lip more than i want to.

pop.... Pop pop pppppppppppppppppppppppppppooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooppppppp

I've been a mid-mallet to mallet guy for years but have switched back to a PN Blade this year and my putting has been pretty damn good. Not sure how much of that is the shape, but I'm not tempted to make a change.

Mid-mallet.

Cop out answer, but true.

Mid-Mallet for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadan;n8892504 said:
There is one putter shape that putts better than anything else for me, and it annoys me to no end.

The biggest issue I have with my blade shape, is lipping putts instead of making them. My distance control is excellent, I just lip more than I want to.

In fairness, if you watch Jordan Spieth he lips more putts than any human being ought to endure. Every one of them seems like it literally causes him intense pain and suffering. You'd almost feel sorry for him if it weren't for the money and the major trophies.

You should see my putter collection ... it's mallets, blades, & assorted "others"

It's whatever gets the ball in the hole at the time. :act-up:

golfinnut;n8892663 said:
You should see my putter collection ... it's mallets, blades, & assorted "others"

It's whatever gets the ball in the hole at the time. :act-up:

My all-time favorite putter to putt with is a classic Bullseye, circa 1960. I haven't pulled that one out in a while. I ought to take it in a few weeks when we go down to the beach on vacation.

I swear I can pour in more 20-40 foot putts with that putter than ought to be humanly possible. It is incredibly light by modern standards and I can make a long, flowing stroke with it that nails the distance perfectly. But things get ugly inside 6 feet.

I've been using a mid-mallet for several years with some success, but I really want to tryout a mallet. I'm not sure which one yet but something like a palm beach or a tuttle seem to fit my eye. I'd like to get my hands on one before I buy but I know the minute I walk into a store and start messing around with putters I'll end up spending more than I really want to.

Hoosiermess;n8892675 said:
I've been using a mid-mallet for several years with some success, but I really want to tryout a mallet. I'm not sure which one yet but something like a palm beach or a tuttle seem to fit my eye. I'd like to get my hands on one before I buy but I know the minute I walk into a store and start messing around with putters I'll end up spending more than I really want to.

The Palm Beach is definitely a mid-mallet IMO. I have one and it’s much smaller than it looks on pictures. Next to a Bettinardi BB39 here.

Attachments

• photo36539.jpg
    photo36539.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Joelsim;n8892749 said:
The Palm Beach is definitely a mid-mallet IMO. I have one and it’s much smaller than it looks on pictures. Next to a Bettinardi BB39 here.

Thanks for the picture, I guess it would be similar to what I'm playing now. I like that shape but for what I'm thinking of trying it isn't what I thought it was.

Hoosiermess;n8892766 said:
Thanks for the picture, I guess it would be similar to what I'm playing now. I like that shape but for what I'm thinking of trying it isn't what I thought it was.

You’re probably looking for an Atlanta or Memphis then.

I was a blade guy for a long time, but as I have gotten older and honestly become more mature, I prefer a bit of junk in the trunk so I am playing only mallets now. Oh and learning from several smart guys at Odyssey who hammered home (especially Luke) how much more forgiving a mallet is and how much more forgiveness I need has helped me make that transition.

Up until March of this year, I always played a blade, specifically a HB#1, and then my wife bought me a TM Spider Tour for our anniversary, and in the middle of the honeymoon phase with the Spider, I sold the HB. I still put well with the Spider, but sometimes I find myself missing the simplistic look of the blade. I may end up trying a smaller mid-mallet, and I'll probably end up with another blade too. Who doesn't need 3 putters?

I'm using a blade with no dot or sightlines and find aiming the face helps me more. Iomic is best grip I have ever used. I'm intrigued by 7s but 250 is crazy imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

golfandpuff;n8895114 said:
I'm using a blade with no dot or sightlines and find aiming the face helps me more. Iomic is best grip I have ever used. I'm intrigued by 7s but 250 is crazy imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

$160 now on CPO like new for a 7s and 7 Stroke Lab.

Last edited:
I used a mallet putter for about 4 years up until last year, when I was fit for a blade. I've never putted better, and I may never switch back.

I went from a blade, to a mallet, and now back to a blade (Cheap MacGregor Blade -> Odyssey 2-ball Fang -> Nike Method 004

The MacGregor was the first putter I used because it came with the bag of hand-me-down clubs i got. Bought the 2-ball because I read about how forgiving mallets are. I'm not great at putting to begin with, but I have my moments. Found a good deal on the Nike 004, so I went for it and have been doing well with it. I may switch back to the 2-ball just to see how well it works for me at this point in my game.

I've always played a blade; my favorite was the Napa. I did really well with it. I recently tried a Stroke Lab 7S and hated it. I didn't like the insert either. I'm back to a blade and started putting very well again.

Back