McLovin's Journey to Improve

i have a face on video of the full swing drill but it’s too large to load. i’ll try to upload it to youtube and link it.

here’s a youtube link to the above referenced video

from the videos above, it's pretty obvious that the progress with the wrist set isn't all that extensive. something I finally articulated to tyler was that often when i'm at (what I think is) the top of my backswing, he will bend my wrists a bit to increase the angle/set. when he does that, I feel pain. that gave him a bit of pause, obviously he doesn't want me to be in any discomfort.

but I can absolutely make the rep. and if I pause at the top after a good rep, I can make a full swing with no discomfort. he isn't sure how much of my struggles right now are just because of habit/patterns, or if it's my body guarding against pain/discomfort. in motion, he said a typical golf club will weigh about 200lbs at speed in the downswing, and for big hitters up to 300lbs. so that kind of load can cause pain to bad joints.

and I appreciate all the encouragement. I'm just trying to capture my thoughts along this journey so hopefully I come back later to re-read everything and laugh at where i was vs where I (hopefully) am.

he will bend my wrists a bit to increase the angle/set. when he does that, I feel pain. that gave him a bit of pause, obviously he doesn't want me to be in any discomfort.

Well that's interesting. If you've mentioned wrist pain before I missed it. I constantly fight what I want to do with what my body knows or thinks it knows will hurt. It protects a lot. Have you injured it in the past or do a daily activity where the strain/overuse would show up in that situation?

I know it's not everything you were hoping yet, but we can see the progress!

Have you injured it in the past or do a daily activity where the strain/overuse would show up in that situation?
It's probably his wine wrist that is hurting. ;)

I do wonder if you're subconsciously not cocking your wrists at the top as much to prevent pain. Makes sense.

Lots of evidence that progress is being made! And I still think it's amazing that guys like Tyler can see such small differences! Like the lean of the body (buttons on shirt) from slightly forward to slightly back. When he says it I'm like "Oh yeah, that's a lot better" but no way I'd notice this on my own.

I do wonder if you're subconsciously not cocking your wrists at the top as much to prevent pain. Makes sense.

there’s no pain in the rep when i get there on my own, even when i get in a decent position with some set. and no pain in any swing. the only pain is when i stop the wrist set, he comes over and tries to add more set. tyler said he likes my wrist position at the top, but i wonder if we add some extension whether that will let me add some more set.

That is a little weird. I was wondering if you couldn't figure out a way to build that setup to some kind of exact measurement & go back to taking your backswing & stopping when you hit the headcover. You did a better job of getting into a good position with that drill.

I have to comment that I think rebuilding, or even changing a piece or two, of a swing that has been what it is for so long, is extremely difficult. I've been on the same journey, for 2 years now. I've got my own thread.... although nowhere near as popular as this fine fella.

What I want to say is that the progress doesn't take quick, which of course you realize. While in the first year and a half, I saw big changes and opportunities for change during my lessons, the actual concepts were difficult to repeat on the course... And even during practice.

It takes time, diligence to march on with the commitment for change... and the mental capacity to ignore the ugly shots and really bad results in order to make the change, and not default back to the comfort of our previous tendencies. I unfortunately always reverted back because the results were okay and I liked playing okay golf, rather than bad golf, even if the long term results would be better.

I've put in many many hours of practice time with the moves and drills... Both in my living room and on the range. But not until recently have real changes started to kick in. Not because I wasn't having good lessons or putting in the work. But because I was focused on doing those things and just expecting the good things to come... Instead of doing those things with a purpose and really feeling and believing in change.

Strangely enough, if a drill/swing feels really good... I'm more likely referring back to the old. So now I try to feel uncomfortable and different. I think it's a step in a good direction and hopefully it's something that may let you think about the process differently.

Here's to better swings for you sir! Hope to see you and Jim around Christmas!

Until then... I'll keep on following here

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

from the videos above, it's pretty obvious that the progress with the wrist set isn't all that extensive.

Just a suggestion, but I use the camera on my phone and have it synced to a tablet below my eyeline so I can film myself in my golf setup and my swing without moving my eyes. It allows me to see things like club position, wrist hinge/cock, etc. It helps to align feel with what is real.

I have to comment that I think rebuilding, or even changing a piece or two, of a swing that has been what it is for so long, is extremely difficult. I've been on the same journey, for 2 years now. I've got my own thread.... although nowhere near as popular as this fine fella.

What I want to say is that the progress doesn't take quick, which of course you realize. While in the first year and a half, I saw big changes and opportunities for change during my lessons, the actual concepts were difficult to repeat on the course... And even during practice.

It takes time, diligence to march on with the commitment for change... and the mental capacity to ignore the ugly shots and really bad results in order to make the change, and not default back to the comfort of our previous tendencies. I unfortunately always reverted back because the results were okay and I liked playing okay golf, rather than bad golf, even if the long term results would be better.

I've put in many many hours of practice time with the moves and drills... Both in my living room and on the range. But not until recently have real changes started to kick in. Not because I wasn't having good lessons or putting in the work. But because I was focused on doing those things and just expecting the good things to come... Instead of doing those things with a purpose and really feeling and believing in change.

Strangely enough, if a drill/swing feels really good... I'm more likely referring back to the old. So now I try to feel uncomfortable and different. I think it's a step in a good direction and hopefully it's something that may let you think about the process differently.

Here's to better swings for you sir! Hope to see you and Jim around Christmas!

Until then... I'll keep on following here

I've been following your swing thread too! :brohug:

I've been following your swing thread too! :brohug:
Snapping a random shaft helps the pain and frustration sometimes

That is a little weird. I was wondering if you couldn't figure out a way to build that setup to some kind of exact measurement & go back to taking your backswing & stopping when you hit the headcover. You did a better job of getting into a good position with that drill.

that was a really good drill. but it was so freaking hard to get it set up properly. then when i'd fat a shot, or have to keep moving the tee back due to divots, it would change the entire aspect and I'd have to shift everything again. I only have 20-30 minutes a day, so I can't be fussing with a bunch of gear over and over. I need something i can set up, then use for the entirety of the session.

that was a really good drill. but it was so freaking hard to get it set up properly. then when i'd fat a shot, or have to keep moving the tee back due to divots, it would change the entire aspect and I'd have to shift everything again. I only have 20-30 minutes a day, so I can't be fussing with a bunch of gear over and over. I need something i can set up, then use for the entirety of the session.
I hear ya. Only way that would have a chance to work is if you could set up a dedicated station at home that never moved. So...probably not happening

I have a couple videos i'll post. mad props to tyler for taking time this week to receive a video I took of my pitching for some extra feedback, even though I have used all the lessons and have no more credit on file with him.

the pitching is just, NOT good. but it wasn't good last year. or the year before that. or, well, you get the point. he wants more weight on my lead foot, hands further away from body in the takeaway, and more of an in-to-out move than cutting across. I can do exactly none of that at the moment.

I've been hitting balls pretty much daily. rep to a good backswing position with wrist set. then a real swing. it's been feeling good. ...then I filmed it. zero progress. f--k.

i'm just going to work on the pitching move to see if something clicks, and i'll work on putting. nothing is clicking with the full swing, so maybe I just need a little break. I know it's hard to undo years of damage. i'm totally fine with hard work. I just want a little progress, then i'll feel good about the time and money. but no progress is discouraging. i'm not giving up. i'm committed (hell, already pot committed), but I think a little break is in order.

I have a couple videos i'll post. mad props to tyler for taking time this week to receive a video I took of my pitching for some extra feedback, even though I have used all the lessons and have no more credit on file with him.

the pitching is just, NOT good. but it wasn't good last year. or the year before that. or, well, you get the point. he wants more weight on my lead foot, hands further away from body in the takeaway, and more of an in-to-out move than cutting across. I can do exactly none of that at the moment.

I've been hitting balls pretty much daily. rep to a good backswing position with wrist set. then a real swing. it's been feeling good. ...then I filmed it. zero progress. f--k.

i'm just going to work on the pitching move to see if something clicks, and i'll work on putting. nothing is clicking with the full swing, so maybe I just need a little break. I know it's hard to undo years of damage. i'm totally fine with hard work. I just want a little progress, then i'll feel good about the time and money. but no progress is discouraging. i'm not giving up. i'm committed (hell, already pot committed), but I think a little break is in order.

All of the work you are doing is going to pay off. Ironically once you take the break is when you will probably see it.

Hope to hear some good news soon.

All of the work you are doing is going to pay off. Ironically once you take the break is when you will probably see it.

Hope to hear some good news soon.

that's what i'm hoping. it's a needed break, too. work is at full speed right now so I don't need to be taking an hour every day to hit balls, and we had some unexpected bills that take precedent over tyler so I can't really afford to drop more money on him right now.

Don’t get too discouraged. Sometimes you will look worse before you get better! Good luck on your continued journey.

The pressure to improve is sometimes counter productive to what you are attempting to accomplish... Take a break and recharge your batteries...

I haven't re-upped for another series with tyler yet. i really need to, but i'm not yet sure how the coronavirus will affect my business and need to smart about my discretionary spending. if I feel good about spending the money, I will. I HAVE to. i'm so displeased with the golf right now. if I can just hit a couple more fairways, and if I can just get up and down a couple more times, i'll be shooting mid 70s with my eyes closed.

This virus stuff really makes extra spending tough. Just think of it as helping out a small business owner!
Your swing is looking good, bro! Keep it up!

I haven't re-upped for another series with tyler yet. i really need to, but i'm not yet sure how the coronavirus will affect my business and need to smart about my discretionary spending. if I feel good about spending the money, I will. I HAVE to. i'm so displeased with the golf right now. if I can just hit a couple more fairways, and if I can just get up and down a couple more times, i'll be shooting mid 70s with my eyes closed.
I got lucky and grabbed a special my instructor had around black Friday... 10 for $750. And I already had 2 lessons in the bank.... Now if only everything wasn't shut down here in Illinois. We're thinking about heading to Florida

Last edited:
I re-upped with Tyler today. Hurts to spend that kind of money, but I want to see what a full year of committed, intentional practice can (or cannot) do for me. I would say I don't feel like I'm any further along right now than when we first started, despite practicing A LOT.

My goal for this series of 5 1-hour lessons is to bookend the series with playing lessons for #1 and #5. Lesson #2 I would like to be full swing with irons. Lesson #3 tee shots with driver and fairway woods. And Lesson #3 short game.

So far in 2020, my golf hasn't been terrible. Some good drives, some nice iron shots, and some really good putting. But the short game is probably the worse it's ever been, full-on yips. I've fought the yips in putting and come out on the other side. I am hopeful I can overcome the same with chipping. And I still am nowhere near where I need to be with the backswing positions, maybe he can find a way to break through.

I re-upped with Tyler today. Hurts to spend that kind of money, but I want to see what a full year of committed, intentional practice can (or cannot) do for me. I would say I don't feel like I'm any further along right now than when we first started, despite practicing A LOT.

My goal for this series of 5 1-hour lessons is to bookend the series with playing lessons for #1 and #5. Lesson #2 I would like to be full swing with irons. Lesson #3 tee shots with driver and fairway woods. And Lesson #3 short game.

So far in 2020, my golf hasn't been terrible. Some good drives, some nice iron shots, and some really good putting. But the short game is probably the worse it's ever been, full-on yips. I've fought the yips in putting and come out on the other side. I am hopeful I can overcome the same with chipping. And I still am nowhere near where I need to be with the backswing positions, maybe he can find a way to break through.

I think a playing lesson is a great idea to get a full assessment of your game and locate areas to focus on right away

Back