McLovin's Journey to Improve

that makes sense. I pretty much never hit 105 with a driver. and knowing that my backswing is as short as it is, and as smoothly as i'm trying to swing, the speed makes less sense.

I guess I was just hoping for SOME progress. not like "ok you're all fixed" in a short period of time, but something. and it's not like I've always had this short backswing. it's something that's crept in over the last 2-3 years, and now feels damn near impossible to fix.

i'm committed and i'll keep working hard.

I can feel your pain, my friend. I am fighting these things all the time as I get older and lose flexibility. One thing my instructor asked me to do last week is to almost feel like I am pausing at the top. I noticed by doing that, I am making a better turn. We each are so different in how our brains are wired.

Not gonna lie, the update is a little disheartening. Partly from the fear I think all of us have somewhere about putting in a ton of effort and maybe getting worse, and partly because I'm rooting for you so damn hard.

You're putting in the effort though, and I always keep faith in that being rewarded. And I feel like effortless SS, where you're having a hard time actually keeping it down, says a lot of really good things about your sequencing. So sooner or later I feel like the tumblers will fall into alignment on some stuff. Also, 'bright spot short game'!? That's something worth being excited about.

Last edited:
Mine was short, too. Then i started taking more time going back and hinging. I've got to watch that though - for other reasons. My model for tempo is Matt on TXG - long and lazy as he puts it. Don't know if that will ultimately work for me. But my issue is weight shift and I do like that move that Tyler teaches - the Rory pivot.

I know you'll keep going. No expectations. Very frustrating, this game. I've got a tip - don't get older. lol.
And just crushes the ball without apparent effort.

McLovin, I can't offer any valid swing/technique advice, but I can offer my support and positivity for you in this stretch. Keep grinding, Keep steady. Hold fast.

that makes sense. I pretty much never hit 105 with a driver. and knowing that my backswing is as short as it is, and as smoothly as i'm trying to swing, the speed makes less sense.

I guess I was just hoping for SOME progress. not like "ok you're all fixed" in a short period of time, but something. and it's not like I've always had this short backswing. it's something that's crept in over the last 2-3 years, and now feels damn near impossible to fix.

i'm committed and i'll keep working hard.
Same way I feel bud

Not gonna lie, the update is a little disheartening. Partly from the fear I think all of us have somewhere about putting in a ton of effort and maybe getting worse, and partly because I'm rooting for you so damn hard.

You're putting in the effort though, and I always keep faith in that being rewarded. And I feel like effortless SS, where you're having a hard time actually keeping it down, says a lot of really good things about your sequencing. So sooner or later I feel like the tumblers will fall into alignment on some stuff. Also, 'bright spot short game'!? That's something worth being excited about.

i'll never know if tyler is just being overly positive, but he says I have A+ 10/10 tour-level positions in the downswing. it's this rat-nasty sh1t sandwich of a backswing that's been so hard to fix. if I can re-wire my brain to actually do the thing I want to do, I think good golf is on the horizon. it's just getting over this mental block.

this sh1t is hard

Man, it's a tough path to follow when you're trying to make major changes. Human nature wants things to improve immediately. I know that you are trying to be patient though. But, in the back of the mind, we want to see progress. Golf is hard in general. Changing motions that have been a subconscious move for years is so difficult. Feel isn't real and all that. So easy to try and revert back when you hit a patch of bad play struggling through change.

Keep at it man. You have a lot of good things going on in your swing. The puzzle will be assembled eventually.

i'll never know if tyler is just being overly positive, but he says I have A+ 10/10 tour-level positions in the downswing. it's this rat-nasty sh1t sandwich of a backswing that's been so hard to fix. if I can re-wire my brain to actually do the thing I want to do, I think good golf is on the horizon. it's just getting over this mental block.
Need more match play?

Suck it up buttercup, you're becoming better.
Normally, this statement is harmless. Coming from Snickerdog though, you may have some reason for concern when he starts calling you buttercup.

ty and I are getting together tomorrow for a 90 minute lesson. I think this rounds out this 5-lesson series. we are 10 lessons in, and to be perfectly honest i'm torn on what to do.

i'm not improving, actually the opposite. I've barely broken 90 in each of my last 5 rounds despite money, time and effort spent. I want to remain committed, but I need to fall back in love with the game. i'm practicing because I feel i'm supposed to, not because I want to. same with playing. I don't feel like i'm putting any pressure on myself. keeping everything light, but when you work hard and don't see good results it's hard to not get frustrated.

but then golf has a way of giving you just enough shred of hope to keep you hooked. on my last few holes today, I felt pretty confident and made some good swings. I parred some holes that have been giving me issues lately.

tomorrow will be interesting. i'm looking for some honest feedback from tyler. do we keep pushing forward? do we take a break? what's the next step?

Changes take time. If I recall, it usually took Tiger over a year to make a swing change.

And we don't have the time or other intangibles that he has.

You put in 10 lessons in over what time period.

If short, I'd take a break to put it all together - keep at it, but take what Tyler has given you and find it in the dirt, as Hogan said.

I took a break and it helped, then went back to a lesson. Helps. Takes time.

Late to this thread, but hang in there. Golf is such a funny game, you can feel completely lost and then all of a sudden it can click. I rebuilt my entire swing over the winter, and for a time period it was close to humiliating. People next to me at the range probably thought I had never really played golf before. Tops, hosels, you name it. And then all of a sudden the lightbulb went off after my 3rd or 4th lesson (with a huge amount of practice in between them). I see some really good things in your swing that I think are close. You got this.

Late to this thread, but hang in there. Golf is such a funny game, you can feel completely lost and then all of a sudden it can click. I rebuilt my entire swing over the winter, and for a time period it was close to humiliating. People next to me at the range probably thought I had never really played golf before. Tops, hosels, you name it. And then all of a sudden the lightbulb went off after my 3rd or 4th lesson (with a huge amount of practice in between them). I see some really good things in your swing that I think are close. You got this.

i know i’m still playing ok golf, but i don’t even want to play with anyone. i’m not putting my scores into ghin at my course. not because of ego, but because there 0 chance i enter any competitive tournament for the time being. i have a long way to go. i’m looking forward to laying out a path and getting a better sense of our direction for the next few months.

i know i’m still playing ok golf, but i don’t even want to play with anyone. i’m not putting my scores into ghin at my course. not because of ego, but because there 0 chance i enter any competitive tournament for the time being. i have a long way to go. i’m looking forward to laying out a path and getting a better sense of our direction for the next few months.

Honestly I bet you are closer than you think. One of the driver and iron videos had some really good moves in it. If you feel you are getting burned out, take a few days off and forget all about golf. Will help your mental state. Stay positive.

For me the fun factor usually lends to better play. Maybe your outlook, maybe a short break is in order. I can’t help but think the mental aspect is a bit of a blocker currently. Confidence breeds results. Keep your head up and focus on having some fun.

I'm curious to hear what Tyler will suggest for the next step. I really like what @Desmond said, by way of Hogan I guess. You sound frustrated. Tyler's in your head now, in a good way I think, so I love the idea of taking what he's given you thus far and just going out and playing with it until you 'find it in the dirt'. You probably know what works best for you (if you're lucky), but that idea really appeals to me. Going out and finding your own groove a little it might surprise you how much of what he's given you ends up a part of it.

There are so many days that I freaking HATE golf. Then I wait a few days and can’t wait to play. Then I play and remember that I hate golf. Then my buddies start chatting about playing and I remember that I love golf and agree to play on the weekend.

First nine holes, even par and I love golf. Everything my teaching pro has ever said makes sense and he is a genius. The clubs are the best purchase (or gift) that I have ever made. I have a legitimate shot at the Champions Tour in a few years if I can just learn to make a few more putts.

On hole 10, el hosel makes an appearance and I hate golf. My teaching pro is a freaking idiot by thinking that my overweight and inflexible butt can get into the positions that he tells me I need to get to. The clubs I am using need replaced. My playing partners are jerks and I can’t believe I choose to spend time with these a-holes instead of hanging out by the pool with the family.

Hole 15, I catch a drive and it goes 307 yards, I hit a great wedge and drain the putt. Birdie! Golf is so awesome! On 16, I KNOW I have regained my swing and just had to remember what the pro said. I hit the drive 290 and love golf. I am 128 yards out and blade a 9iron over the green into a trap. 4 strokes later I hate this game and my pro obviously has no clue how to get out of a bunker. Golf freaking sucks.

Needless to say, I feel your pain. Golf is hard. Golf is easy. Golf sucks. Golf is awesome. Golf is life. Keep your chin up and try to have fun. When you aren’t having fun, remember that you will have fun. When the swing changes make you think you are getting worse, know that the swing changes are making you better. It will come around.

There are so many days that I freaking HATE golf. Then I wait a few days and can’t wait to play. Then I play and remember that I hate golf. Then my buddies start chatting about playing and I remember that I love golf and agree to play on the weekend.

First nine holes, even par and I love golf. Everything my teaching pro has ever said makes sense and he is a genius. The clubs are the best purchase (or gift) that I have ever made. I have a legitimate shot at the Champions Tour in a few years if I can just learn to make a few more putts.

On hole 10, el hosel makes an appearance and I hate golf. My teaching pro is a freaking idiot by thinking that my overweight and inflexible butt can get into the positions that he tells me I need to get to. The clubs I am using need replaced. My playing partners are jerks and I can’t believe I choose to spend time with these a-holes instead of hanging out by the pool with the family.

Hole 15, I catch a drive and it goes 307 yards, I hit a great wedge and drain the putt. Birdie! Golf is so awesome! On 16, I KNOW I have regained my swing and just had to remember what the pro said. I hit the drive 290 and love golf. I am 128 yards out and blade a 9iron over the green into a trap. 4 strokes later I hate this game and my pro obviously has no clue how to get out of a bunker. Golf freaking sucks.

Needless to say, I feel your pain. Golf is hard. Golf is easy. Golf sucks. Golf is awesome. Golf is life. Keep your chin up and try to have fun. When you aren’t having fun, remember that you will have fun. When the swing changes make you think you are getting worse, know that the swing changes are making you better. It will come around.

that is EXACTLY how I feel!!!

I'm curious to hear what Tyler will suggest for the next step. I really like what @Desmond said, by way of Hogan I guess. You sound frustrated. Tyler's in your head now, in a good way I think, so I love the idea of taking what he's given you thus far and just going out and playing with it until you 'find it in the dirt'. You probably know what works best for you (if you're lucky), but that idea really appeals to me. Going out and finding your own groove a little it might surprise you how much of what he's given you ends up a part of it.

we're getting together for 90 minutes today. ideally it would be outdoors, but the afternoon forecast doesn't look great. but I think we can still accomplish what we need to on mats.

i'll be honest with him. tell him golf is not fun right now. i'll walk him through my round yesterday, maybe show him the hole-by-hole on arccos. and then i'll just ask him what he thinks we need to do. he's probably going to Canada soon, and I think he's there through September or October. maybe just a video check-in once every few weeks. i'll make another post after we get together.

and just to say the same thing i've said for awhile, this thread is a self-serving way for me to track my thoughts as well as my progress. much like golf, you love it one day and hate it the next. highs and lows. this journey has been similar. onward and upward.

Chris we need to get together and play a round, once you see my $hitstorm of a swing you will see how good you are getting. I have time since no real travel yet so pick a day that is easy for you and we can have some fun. No swing thoughts, just hit and go find it.

If he's going back to Canada, might as well make the most of it. Repetition is good. Tyler refining what he wants you to do is good for you. But have no expectations. Work in the dirt, and let the game come to you.

I may be on the range, and it's two years later, and remember something Jon said to me, and gosh, it works.

You may want to use the lessons, but don't expect immediate results. If you want a longer swing, you can make that small adjustment later.

Good luck.

ty and I are getting together tomorrow for a 90 minute lesson. I think this rounds out this 5-lesson series. we are 10 lessons in, and to be perfectly honest i'm torn on what to do.

i'm not improving, actually the opposite. I've barely broken 90 in each of my last 5 rounds despite money, time and effort spent. I want to remain committed, but I need to fall back in love with the game. i'm practicing because I feel i'm supposed to, not because I want to. same with playing. I don't feel like i'm putting any pressure on myself. keeping everything light, but when you work hard and don't see good results it's hard to not get frustrated.

but then golf has a way of giving you just enough shred of hope to keep you hooked. on my last few holes today, I felt pretty confident and made some good swings. I parred some holes that have been giving me issues lately.

tomorrow will be interesting. i'm looking for some honest feedback from tyler. do we keep pushing forward? do we take a break? what's the next step?

I feel your pain, Chris! Hang in there!

Just remember that improvement isn't linear. If you have time, read Mastery by George Leonard. He discussed a concept called "Learning to Love the Plateau". People that become masters at anything (he was an Aikido black belt) practice a lot without seeing any visible or noticeable improvement - sometimes for long stretches; and then suddenly the make a big jump in performance.

Maybe you just gotta be like the 76ers & "trust the process";)

Back