Metallica Blacklist

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So, today marks the 30th anniversary of Metallica's self-titled, affectionately called "The Black Album." Sonically, one of the best sounding albums ever and the best selling album since it's release in 1991. Metallica decided to do something awesome and had 52 different artists cover and reinterpret songs from the album. Called it "The Blacklist" and is donating proceeds to charity. https://www.metallica.com/the-metallica-blacklist/ Pop, latin, country, hip-hop, soul, rock, and Weezer are contributing to the album. All profits from the album are going to various charities.

Metallica have been slowly releasing songs from that album. It can be listened to on Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, and probably others. My wife is not a Metallica fan at all, but really loves a lot of these songs.

If you're interested, have a listen. If there is one that you particularly enjoy, let us know.

Ha-Ash's version of The Unforgiven is one of my favorites.

very cool, thanks for the info. Will have to check this out. Went through a big Metallica faze in the 90s.:rockon:

I want to hear Ghost's version of "Enter Sandman" (y)

Cool, thanks for the heads up! I’ll have to spend some time and listen!

@Jman making sure you see (and hear) the Chris Stapleton and the Jason Isbell offerings here.

Heading over to Apple Music to check it out now. I've been fortunate to see Metallica live a few times. I'm actually going to see Chris Stapleton tomorrow. That would be fantastic if he plays Nothing Else Matters.

Love this and will be on my short list of things to check out. Thanks for the heads up!

Really liked the Phoebe Bridgers and Chris Stapleton versions of Nothing Else Matters.

Weezer probably had the most straightforward and bland rendition I've ever heard. Not surprising.

Weezer probably had the most straightforward and bland rendition I've ever heard. Not surprising.

i haven’t listened yet, but like you say this doesn’t surprise me either. their remake of africa brings nothing new to the song. it’s not bad, but doesn’t really justify its own existence by modifying the original. i’m not a fan of disturbed’s sound of silence, but at least it’s a unique take on an otherwise untouchable classic.

I wonder if it will be similar to their live version

yeah probably considering members of Metallica were in the audience for that version I doubt they will be doing anything different. Thanks for posting this. (y) I've seen Ghost twice & they never played any covers :eek:

Heading over to Apple Music to check it out now. I've been fortunate to see Metallica live a few times. I'm actually going to see Chris Stapleton tomorrow. That would be fantastic if he plays Nothing Else Matters.
I just saw him last Saturday and he did not but that would have been freaking awesome and I bet the crowd would have went crazy.

i haven’t listened yet, but like you say this doesn’t surprise me either. their remake of africa brings nothing new to the song. it’s not bad, but doesn’t really justify its own existence by modifying the original. i’m not a fan of disturbed’s sound of silence, but at least it’s a unique take on an otherwise untouchable classic.

Exactly. Covering the song and not adding your own touch to it, does nothing for me. Might as well just leave it be if you're not enhance it somehow. Just my opinion.

I need to check these out. I saw them at the Forum in L.A. on that tour and it was awesome.

Really liked the Phoebe Bridgers and Chris Stapleton versions of Nothing Else Matters.

Like I mentioned, "and Weezer."

I did like Volbeat's version of "Don't Tread On Me" (y)

I’m kinda ashamed to admit that I first found about this album by seeing Miley Cyrus’ version of Nothing Else Matters and liking it.
Can’t wait for all the songs to be release.

I listened to everything that was available to Amazon Music. I know none of it is intended to be as good as the original, but I can't seem to bring myself to truly enjoy any of it. I find myself continuing to compare vocals, and guitar arrangements, etc...

Back