Metro Denver / Colorado chat thread

An early Welcome

For the most part, all the courses say they’re open year round. So long as there’s no a whole lot of snow on the ground and somewhat playable temps, then they’re usually open for play. But trying to stick a tee in the ground or hitting from the fairways is like hitting off of concrete.

I’m sure there are others, but the only one I’m aware of is Family Sports Center in Centennial/Englewood.

The good thing is you’ll be here with plenty of golf left in the season.

I'm relocating from the Dallas/Ft Worth area to Littleton in a couple weeks. I'm curious if a couple things...

- do the courses stay open year-around? Is it too cold to play in the winter?

- are there any heated or indoor driving ranges around?

I hope to get out and play with some of you soon!! I haven't gotten to play nearly enough this year!
Have to agree with JP with his response.

Cant go at greens for the most part during the winter as they bounce pretty high...ha. Pond skipping is a fun challenge though. There is usually some place open all year if you can layer up. Golfing in December/January without layers is not uncommon either though.

FSC has a great range and the mat area is heated during the winter and great mats. The course it's on is a fun exec too.

Born and raised in Missouri as well! You will love Colorado! Welcome!

Me and the family are headed to Denver for a quick 4 day vacation in early October. We are planning to stay in Colorado Springs the first 2 days and Golden for 1 day. We are doing the normal tourist stuff, Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Touring Coors plant in Golden.

Can any locals give us some hiking or dining ideas? We like hikes of 2-4 miles without too much elevation gain. It does not have to be flat but not straight up either. We live in Houston Texas so we get plenty of good Mexican and Seafood, Looking for a good steakhouse or maybe a killer Pizza? I don't know surprise me? Scenic drive? I will be in a compact two wheel drive rental car.

I doubt I will have time to play golf on this vacation. We would also like to stay the last night in Downtown Denver and check out the area. Any tips for a microbrewery or killer restaurant downtown? Post up some cool vacation ideas for me.

Thanks

Dan
If you are capable of and up for a challenge, give the Manitou Staircase a go. It is very tough but the views are nothing short of spectacular. Plus, the town of Manitou Springs is sweet.

Me and the family are headed to Denver for a quick 4 day vacation in early October. We are planning to stay in Colorado Springs the first 2 days and Golden for 1 day. We are doing the normal tourist stuff, Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Touring Coors plant in Golden.

Can any locals give us some hiking or dining ideas? We like hikes of 2-4 miles without too much elevation gain. It does not have to be flat but not straight up either. We live in Houston Texas so we get plenty of good Mexican and Seafood, Looking for a good steakhouse or maybe a killer Pizza? I don't know surprise me? Scenic drive? I will be in a compact two wheel drive rental car.

I doubt I will have time to play golf on this vacation. We would also like to stay the last night in Downtown Denver and check out the area. Any tips for a microbrewery or killer restaurant downtown? Post up some cool vacation ideas for me.

Thanks

Dan

Not sure about the downtown area (usually there just for a Rockies game or concert), but find your way down to Parker and there is Downhill (outside still labeled as Elk Mountain) or Castle Rock to visit 105 West. Both are great breweries, and provide a good atmosphere to just relax and enjoy a good beer.

Thanks

Dan

Come to a Rockies playoff game and go to the Denver Chophouse. Best steak at a great price right next to the ballpark. Any of the places around Union Station are good also. Wyncoop, Thirsty Lion are my favs.

Mt Falcon from the Indian Hills upper trailhead is my fav easy scenic hike. Lots of history in the old ruins up there. And then you can stop at Red Rocks on the way back.

Come to a Rockies playoff game and go to the Denver Chophouse. Best steak at a great price right next to the ballpark. Any of the places around Union Station are good also. Wyncoop, Thirsty Lion are my favs.

Mt Falcon from the Indian Hills upper trailhead is my fav easy scenic hike. Lots of history in the old ruins up there. And then you can stop at Red Rocks on the way back.

Not sure about the downtown area (usually there just for a Rockies game or concert), but find your way down to Parker and there is Downhill (outside still labeled as Elk Mountain) or Castle Rock to visit 105 West. Both are great breweries, and provide a good atmosphere to just relax and enjoy a good beer.

Thank you both for the vacation ideas!! I will check them out. We get to Denver October 3rd, I am ready for some cool weather.

Thank you both for the vacation ideas!! I will check them out. We get to Denver October 3rd, I am ready for some cool weather.

So are we :). Swapping doors on the Jeep today to try and enjoy the slightly cooler day.

Let me know if you can make it down this way, love to meet up at Downhill for a beer if it works out.

158 pages, so i'm really sorry for not reading through all these lol. I'll be visiting next weekend. My friends live in Eerie and are just starting to get into golf (and i still suck lol), any recommendations for some nice but affordable courses for a sunday play that won't take 6 hours? TIA

158 pages, so i'm really sorry for not reading through all these lol. I'll be visiting next weekend. My friends live in Eerie and are just starting to get into golf (and i still suck lol), any recommendations for some nice but affordable courses for a sunday play that won't take 6 hours? TIA

Ute Creek in Longmont is probably your best bet for affordable rounds.

Playing Springhill in Aurora tomorrow. Looks to be a nice short course, and inexpensive. Entire course has 10 par 3's, 6 par 4's, and 2 par 5's. Only playing 9, and green fees are $13.50.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Playing Springhill in Aurora tomorrow. Looks to be a nice short course, and inexpensive. Entire course has 10 par 3's, 6 par 4's, and 2 par 5's. Only playing 9, and green fees are $13.50.

Springhill will scratch the golf itch, especially for $13.50. Plus they have a grass range and a pretty decent chipping/putting area. Used to stop there after work for an hour or so - perfect location between my office and my hotel.

Springhill will scratch the golf itch, especially for $13.50. Plus they have a grass range and a pretty decent chipping/putting area. Used to stop there after work for an hour or so - perfect location between my office and my hotel.
I drive by it every day after work. Really need to start bringing the clubs more often.

THanks everyone!! After a lot of googling, I opted for the crazy low Teeoff.com deal at Riverdale Knolls. All 3 of us are high handicaps, so I heard Knolls is better than Dunes (read: Easier) so should be fun. And got the 3 of us in for $72 TOTAL, so not too shabby. Only bummer is 2 Carts are going to cost 50% of that lol, but still, all in with carts for less than $100, i'll take it. You lucky colorado people!

THanks everyone!! After a lot of googling, I opted for the crazy low Teeoff.com deal at Riverdale Knolls. All 3 of us are high handicaps, so I heard Knolls is better than Dunes (read: Easier) so should be fun. And got the 3 of us in for $72 TOTAL, so not too shabby. Only bummer is 2 Carts are going to cost 50% of that lol, but still, all in with carts for less than $100, i'll take it. You lucky colorado people!

You chose wisely

Who wants to play Monday?

TPC of Colorado now open. Limited tee times at $170 :bulgy-eyes:

We are in Castle Rock this morning. Heading up Pikes Peak in a little while.

We are in Castle Rock this morning. Heading up Pikes Peak in a little while.
Enjoy the views should be a bit chilly up there. Great clear day for some spectacular images.

TPC of Colorado now open. Limited tee times at $170 :bulgy-eyes:

Lot of nice tracks out there for a whole lot less than that. But I'm sure they'll get some takers.

We have had a great vacation so far. We went up pikes peak Thursday morning, It was closed off at about 3/4 way up. I went to turn around in a parking lot and found a way around the barricade. It got very cold and icy with zero visibility above 11,000 feet. We made it to 13,000 feet and turned around, my son passed out shortly after. I knew it was the altitude so I drove pretty quick back down. He was okay but ruined for the rest of that day.

Friday we hiked around Garden of the Gods in the morning and went to the Royal Gorge in the afternoon, both VERY NICE!! You definitely feel the pucker when the gondola leaves the station and your looking straight down 1200 feet!! Saturday we drove to the Golden area and did the Mount Falcon hike recommended above. What a perfect Hike, misty and cool at the start and it cleared off while we where at the top. We drove around Red Rocks but were too tired for a hike.

We have ate at some cool local restaurant's, Sheldon's Luncheonette in Colorado Springs was a nice find for an open face roast beef with mashed potatoes YUM!! Had a killer green chili burger and my wife had the fish and chips at The Cow in Morrison. Last night we had Woody's pizza in Golden, Beer and cheese soup for the win.

Today is our last day and we are gonna start with a brewery tour at Coor's then move towards downtown where we are staying tonight. I got a feeling today is gonna be kind of boozy. The Texans play tonight so I am going to pace myself or have a nap before kickoff.

Working on convincing the kids to make the move after the school year...Hard when they are in high school and middle school. Man, housing costs in Denver seem to have gone up the last time I looked

Working on convincing the kids to make the move after the school year...Hard when they are in high school and middle school. Man, housing costs in Denver seem to have gone up the last time I looked

They're building like crazy out there too. Just can't keep up with demand.

Housing in the area has been crazy for a while. Where in the metro area are you looking?

Housing in the area has been crazy for a while. Where in the metro area are you looking?

Roxborough Park / Littleton

Back