Michigan hackers, check in here

The premature cold snap and the snow put a monkey wrench into my plans to play through the end of the year. But, there may be hope. The weather is cooperating. Now all I need is an open course.

The premature cold snap and the snow put a monkey wrench into my plans to play through the end of the year. But, there may be hope. The weather is cooperating. Now all I need is an open course.
East of Lansing, S of Flint, everything seems to be planning on opening.

I don't think it'll happen, but I'd love to keep driving south this weekend until I find an open course. I don't believe it'll warm up enough for me to do anything beyond hit into the field behind my house.

I played 18 yesterday. Fairly light breeze, cloudy and the temperature was around 37 degrees. It takes about 4 holes walking for my hands to warm up. The turf was not frozen and a shot would hold the green with a pitch mark. I had the place to myself save for a twosome about 6 holes ahead of me and a single 9 holes behind. Got up and down from a greenside bunker on #18 to shoot 79.

I used to play Fox Hills (Classic - 3 nines) and paid $15 to walk. Since they no longer stay open year-round (weather permitting), I have had to scout out a replacement. It looks like Washtenaw Golf Club may be it. Of course, inflation has the cost of walking 18 up to $25 but Washtenaw is a far superior layout to the "Classic."

Much too early to be doing this but I thought it might be interesting to attempt to get about 8 THP'ers together for a round of golf in 2023. I went through the activity in this thread and came up with a list of members who have posted here in 2021-2022 (see below). Initially, I think we need to develop a list of "interested (but not committed)" and roughly decide upon a general location/area and a day of the week that works best.

With that in mind, if anyone is interested, reply to this thread. If there are locations that are acceptable, list those along with the best day(s) of the week. If this idea goes forward, we will look at specific dates, courses and times.
  • I am interested.
  • I am in Ann Arbor. A central location might run in a general area bounded by Flint, Lansing, Battle Creek, Toledo, Detroit. Lansing seems like a good spot to me.
  • I am semi-retired and just about any day of the week works for me.
@JonMA1
@1860VS
@6 Fan
@squats
@jspangs
@Pepetito
@HighLevelHacker
@jdtox
@patriotcoach
@Michigan Slice
@dthogey
@muzzymike
@tommyhaka
@Lions81
@garyt1957
@miparman
@Frknglfnut
@Duffer Seamus
@lil'mike
@glenk69

Much too early to be doing this but I thought it might be interesting to attempt to get about 8 THP'ers together for a round of golf in 2023. I went through the activity in this thread and came up with a list of members who have posted here in 2021-2022 (see below). Initially, I think we need to develop a list of "interested (but not committed)" and roughly decide upon a general location/area and a day of the week that works best.

With that in mind, if anyone is interested, reply to this thread. If there are locations that are acceptable, list those along with the best day(s) of the week. If this idea goes forward, we will look at specific dates, courses and times.
  • I am interested.
  • I am in Ann Arbor. A central location might run in a general area bounded by Flint, Lansing, Battle Creek, Toledo, Detroit. Lansing seems like a good spot to me.
@JonMA1
@1860VS
@6 Fan
@squats
@jspangs
@Pepetito
@HighLevelHacker
@jdtox
@patriotcoach
@Michigan Slice
@dthogey
@muzzymike
@tommyhaka
@Lions81
@garyt1957
@miparman
@Frknglfnut
@Duffer Seamus
@lil'mike
@glenk69
I am interested. I am retired from work but not golf! Live in Findlay, OH. Willing to drive for golf.

I'll have to get back to you, @bkuehn1952. At this point I've no idea what my 2023 season will look like--or even if I'll have a season. (I didn't in 2022.)

I'm in, scheduling permitting. I'm in Macomb County so anywhere in the SE works for a day trip.

@bkuehn1952

It is possible depending on where and when. I work full time so can't until more details are given!

I appreciate the idea and it sounds like fun!
Mike - too early to know if I can attend, but if so, you’re welcome to park at my house and we can take my car down to wherever the event takes place.
@bkuehn1952 - thanks for getting this started.

Edit: I’m in Wexford County. Would be willing to drive 2-3 hours. I normally walk but would definitely get a cart if there are no other walkers. Don’t mind riding with a smoker if that becomes an issue.

Last edited:
Hell, I'm down! I live in the downriver area. SE Michigan or Toledo area works for me.

Mike - too early to know if I can attend, but if so, you’re welcome to park at my house and we can take my car down to wherever the event takes place.
@bkuehn1952 - thanks for getting this started.

Edit: I’m in Wexford County. Would be willing to drive 2-3 hours. I normally walk but would definitely get a cart if there are no other walkers. Don’t mind riding with a smoker if that becomes an issue.

Thanks Jon, sounds like a plan! :)

I kind of gave up golf for the last couple years but am thinking about getting back into it. This sounds like fun! I work full-time but have a pretty flexible vacation schedule. I live in kalkaska.

• I am interested.
@JonMA1
@1860VS
@6 Fan
@squats
@jspangs
@Pepetito
@HighLevelHacker
@jdtox
@patriotcoach
@Michigan Slice
@dthogey
@muzzymike
@tommyhaka
@Lions81
@garyt1957
@miparman
@Frknglfnut
@Duffer Seamus
@lil'mike
@glenk69

I’m always down to play golf with cool people. Tell me the time and place and if I’m not out of town for work I can definitely play. With that said. MY club has some great courses we can play like Thousand Oaks or Muskegon CC, but I’m on the east side a lot with my grandparents living in Saline so that works for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimately, we might consider two sessions. One in the metro Detroit area and the other near Grand Rapids. We can decide once we have heard from all the potentially interested THPers.

I'm interested. I'm in the Novi area, so happy to go pretty much anywhere around Metro Detroit and could even make a trip out to the GR area since it's not more than a couple hour drive. I do some travel for work so a lot of it will have to depend upon when this gets scheduled.

Anybody from the Downriver area looking to join a league?

I was out of action in 2021 due to a knee surgery, AND 2022 due to a nasty wrist surgery, but I am getting the itch to top some drives, miss fairways, curse cart path only conditions, and laugh at myself on the course....

Hello old friend. The itch is real right now.

Slangs set of these up over on the west side at MCC. It’s been awhile. How have you been?

I’m very interested!! Still in Lansing! Dedicating this years golf season to my late father. Lost him way too early 19 years ago. He was president of our club and the board named the club championship trophy in his honor. Fast forward to 2013, the last year as a private club, and I won the final Championship and got to keep the trophy! IMG_1088.jpg

If interested, I have an in with the director of golf at MSU’s Forest Akers, just saying

Slangs set of these up over on the west side at MCC. It’s been awhile. How have you been?

I’ve been good, and yourself? Any time you want to get out let me know I’m working on the east side now, but still kept my membership this year. Definitely get out at MCC or Thousand Oaks whenever the weather breaks.

Back