Michigan hackers, check in here

I have a VERY hard time believing that American dunes was better before the redesign.
Ravines was a little wet but it had rained hard the night prior to our morning round. Our second nine seemed fine.
Harbor shores was very fun to play once. I wouldnt want to get my ass kicked like that on a regular basis though.

You can believe what you want. It was a better course before they removed 2000 trees from the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arcadia Bluffs is a bit over an hour away but is a top 100 public course in the US.

Crystal Mountain (mountain ridge course) is within an hour. I’ve only ever played the Betsie River course at CM but I understand the Mountain course has some beautiful holes.

Hi Jon:

We shared a few conversations at another site. One of these days I intend to wander over to the other side of the Mitten and play all these fantastic courses. I will let you know when that day arrives!

Hi Jon:
We shared a few conversations at another site. One of these days I intend to wander over to the other side of the Mitten and play all these fantastic courses. I will let you know when that day arrives!
Hey Brian. It's really great to hear from you. I hope you've been well. Looks like you shaved a few strokes off your handicap since we last talked.

Welcome to THP. This really is a different kind golf forum.

Anytime you're up and want to get out, please let me know. This is a great time of the year to play. The weather is nice and the courses are usually wide open - especially during the week. There are probably a couple other forum members who'd be willing to join as well.

We played The Grande in Jackson yesterday . Nice course, and is very playable in my opinion, as the fairways seem to be ample to drive onto. Greens are a challenge, and well kept up. Great outing!

For the Mich locals, I have 2 rainchecks for Treetops Signture - if anyone is interested, DM me and we can talk price. Good for a year; confirmed transferrable to anyone.

If you’re around mid Michigan, come check out my home course, Grand Ledge CC. In the last two years we have improved 150%! Still room for improvement but it’s a hidden gem

Playing a GAM Golf Day tomorrow at Oak Pointe - Honors Course. Looks like I will be breaking out the rain suit and long underwear Survival will trump scoring. ;)

Edit - p.s. - Not as bad as I feared since we dodged most of the rain. Still, cart path only was a drag. Apparently the conditions were as tough as I thought as the USGA P.C.C. yesterday (9/26/2022) was +3 at the Honors Course.

Last edited:
Possibly the nicest weather day in the Mitten for 2022. 70 degrees, no wind and full sun. It made waiting to hit almost pleasant. Almost. The great weather did attract quite a few people “working from home” to the golf course. ;)

Has anyone played Pilgrim's Run in Montcalm County? My boss played it this past weekend and raved about the layout. I looked it up when I got home, and it looks like my kind of course - lots of woods and a decent amount of water. They even have a nice mix of tees. Rates are not terrible if the course is as nice as described. Probably a tougher course than I should be playing but I'm going to play it if not this year, maybe next spring

Leaves are starting to turn up here. This is my favortite time of the year to get out. Unfortunately, it coincides with the busiest time of the year at work.

Has anyone played Pilgrim's Run in Montcalm County? My boss played it this past weekend and raved about the layout. I looked it up when I got home, and it looks like my kind of course - lots of woods and a decent amount of water. They even have a nice mix of tees. Rates are not terrible if the course is as nice as described. Probably a tougher course than I should be playing but I'm going to play it if not this year, maybe next spring

Leaves are starting to turn up here. This is my favortite time of the year to get out. Unfortunately, it coincides with the busiest time of the year at work.
Great course! Definitely was one of my favorites to play when I lived in MI.

Well if you make it up that way let me know, we can go out to Thousand Oaks or Muskegon CC.

Heading to Greystone in a littie bit. It's my sons favorite course in the area. I much prefer Rattle Run, but he is paying. LOL

Heading to Greystone in a littie bit. It's my sons favorite course in the area. I much prefer Rattle Run, but he is paying. LOL
#17 and #18 are tough holes. There is not a lot of fairway to hit on #17 with the hill kicking the ball toward the water. The last hole also requires great accuracy with everything running right toward oblivion down the slope. Then you hit to that fairly narrow green with trouble front and back.

I don’t play many courses on the east side and have played Greystone less than a half dozen times. I have made birdie on both but “Other” has been more common. ;)

#17 and #18 are tough holes. There is not a lot of fairway to hit on #17 with the hill kicking the ball toward the water. The last hole also requires great accuracy with everything running right toward oblivion down the slope. Then you hit to that fairly narrow green with trouble front and back.

I don’t play many courses on the east side and have played Greystone less than a half dozen times. I have made birdie on both but “Other” has been more common. ;)
#5, that short, 25-30' uphill slightly dogleg left par 4 was playing down wind today at 337yds (BTW They got new carts with GPS...) . hit my quasi 3 wood (Mizzy STX 12* set up to 14*) Hit it over the tree at the corner, cleared the bunker, ended up dead in the middle of the 19 yard wide fairway, 66 yards from the center of the green, Best drive of the day, for me., and a real bomb for me up that hill anymore, helping wind or not, at 63 this month.
On 17 my kid hit a drive over the lake that carried 284 pretty much into the wind, and ended up at 302 yards with the run up the other bank. He had but a chip to the pin that rattled it but failed to drop. I told him I couldn't believe he bit off that much lake in the wind. He said it was a bit of a push, but he'll take it. LOL

18 I drove that same club through the fairway, down the hill into the rocks around the lake. Had to take a drop. Bogie..........

Last edited:
I have 3 group golfer certificates to play Sycamore Hills (Macomb) for 28 bucks each with cart and range balls. They expire at the end of the month, if anyone is interested in a weekday afternoon round with a fat old guy........

The weather for the end of this week & into the first part of next looks decent. Where are we playing? I have games for Friday (Pierce Lake), Sunday (Hudson Mills) and Tuesday (Pheasant Run). We have had to resort to planning ahead as the nice weather brings out the mob. No last-minute tee times!

Canceled heading north. Have times at Sycamore Hills and Timberwood..flight of grouse arriving down here already, I saw some out behind the barn, and some timberdoodles along a creek.

When will everyone put their clubs away for the season? I typically keep playing until the snow stays. Most years that means golf into early December. This year may be harder as my winter “go to” was Fox Hills (Plymouth). During COVID they did not open the “Classic” nines and now they are under new management.

When will everyone put their clubs away for the season? I typically keep playing until the snow stays. Most years that means golf into early December. This year may be harder as my winter “go to” was Fox Hills (Plymouth). During COVID they did not open the “Classic” nines and now they are under new management.
I don't put them away
We just move indoors and play Sims.

I don't put them away
We just move indoors and play Sims.
Same here. Keep them clean and warm and then move to some local indoor golf places to keep playing over the winter. Don't play as often but still get to swing.

Mine are still in the travel bag since returning from the Morgan Cup. Probably just going to leave them in there until I find someplace warm to go. I hate winter

Looks like I'll be able to get out this weekend, so the clubs have remained in my hatch. One of my courses is still open. Even after they pull the flags and tee markers for the season, they have in the past let me get out until frost becomes an issue. In past years, I've played as late as rifle season (after 11/15). I just made sure to wear at least some hunter orange since the course is in the middle of the Manistee National Forest.

2 man scramble this weekend. That betters the odds of finding at least one ball despite the leaves. My younger next door neighbor is my partner, He can hit it long. Guys are saying that between his driver and my short game, we should be giving strokes. Not going to happen. And if we shoot -4 I'd be thrilled, This isn't summer golf. Aerated greens, cold, leaves........not amenable to going low.

I am supposed to play in a "big cup" scramble with my grandkids this Sunday. Weather looks okay but our team is going to be a disaster. I don't think they have played all summer. Our goal will be even par. Their Dad and I are going to need to perform.

Edit: our team shot -7 or 65. T28 out of 36 teams. We exceeded our goal and the “big hole” was fun.

Last edited:
Back