Mickelson/Johnson Handshake

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
I think they were just trying to be funny. Kinda like kuch and woods.

Evok

Don't worry, Be happy!
Reaction score
Handicap
Its the same thing the ladies were doing during the solheim cup. It was supposed to be short, simple and classy as they described it. Nothing wild

Vortex

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Actually, I think it was Zach's idea. The first time they went to congratulate each other Phil went for the fist bump and Zach extended his hand.
Den60 nailed it.

I get they wanted to do something different than knuckle bumps. This was their attempt at being funny. My vote goes to "silly". It's just silly to shake your partners hand after almost every shot. Not trying to be a curmudgeon but the displays of encouragement were over the top. It seems to be an American thing. As Jack said; "it's an exhibition, not a war." Players should have fun, try to win, support your partner, be a good teammate and congratulate any player who hits a nice shot with a positive affirmation, nod or smile.

In the spirit of full disclosure; players jumping around and screaming after every football tackle or basketball dunk doesn't appeal to me either. Hope this doesn't come off as a rant. It's just an opinion.

VegasMav

Cigar Posse Member
Reaction score
Handicap
Cigars
I liked it. Thought it was fun.

Tadashi70

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Den60 nailed it.

I get they wanted to do something different than knuckle bumps. This was their attempt at being funny. My vote goes to "silly". It's just silly to shake your partners hand after almost every shot. Not trying to be a curmudgeon but the displays of encouragement were over the top. It seems to be an American thing. As Jack said; "it's an exhibition, not a war." Players should have fun, try to win, support your partner, be a good teammate and congratulate any player who hits a nice shot with a positive affirmation, nod or smile.

In the spirit of full disclosure; players jumping around and screaming after every football tackle or basketball dunk doesn't appeal to me either. Hope this doesn't come off as a rant. It's just an opinion.
So what works for you. What should players do to clebrate with their team mates. What would be exceptable to you? Pat on the fanny. Shake each others ankles? Need for speed high give, top gun reference. Mile high solute.

Vortex

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
So what works for you. What should players do to clebrate with their team mates. What would be exceptable to you? Pat on the fanny. Shake each others ankles? Need for speed high give, top gun reference. Mile high solute.
Completely agree that my comments sound like the old guy who yells at kids to get off the lawn. Also acknowledge this opinion is in the minority.

Zach and Phil should do this (see attachment) after every shot. I'm kidding....

TheHeez

Reaction score
Handicap
Like I said, I enjoyed the handshake. If they really wanted to get after it they should have done the flying hip bump. It takes a special moment, but every now and again my friends and I will go full flying hip bump and it truly can be a sight to behold. Heck, mix in an air guitar and you've got my "go to" moves.

Agent Jay

Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It's all good. Whatever gets them laughing and keeps them going. lol

Miller Time

Twitter - @joshmlr
Reaction score
Handicap
Has Been
Loved it. They would sometimes almost forget and then at the last second remember and do the handshake. I enjoyed it.

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Den60 nailed it.

I completely respect where you're coming from on the dunk or tackle thing -- And I think this 'scripted' celebration was a bit over the top for me, but I still want them to be passionate when they hit a great shot (or their partner for that matter). The one thing I think the US team often seems to be said to lack is the passion for the victory in these events. I'd love to see them dial it up but also show their respect for the other side when great shots are achieved.

I think it's good for the game for passion to reign supreme.

kensisland

Misplaced Texan
Reaction score
Handicap
Seemed like a team sprit kind of thing ... good for them.

Their primary job is golf ... but their secondary job is sales and marketing.

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Handicap

A full 90 seconds after every shot.

bigskyirish

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+0.1
Is it possible to think it was awkward and dumb, but like it all the same? Because I'm pretty that's how I feel about it in retrospect.

brianmk24

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This was supposed to be funny/for fun and was 100% awesome.

nwgolfr

Reaction score
Handicap
Just look at mickelson's short game, that hadshake was definltely a joke

Tadashi70

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

nwgolfr

Reaction score
Handicap
Just look at mickelson's short game, that hadshake was definltely a joke
Sorry, should have been more specific. He's a master of the short game, and as I see it, that handshake was a positive gesture from zach.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in