Reaction score
Anyone tried limiting their clubs, bag & ball? I'm interested in finding out how this has simplified and changed the game. Does the efficiency make the game quicker?

I like having 14 clubs to choose from. I only use one bag. I only use as many golf balls as needed.
Dave, no 14 clubs to many to qualify here, has to be less, want to quicken & streamline the game down for efficiency & enjoyment! The Old game takes to long for my schedule.
For example: I carry 8 clubs, in a Ping Moonlite carry bag and use the new Hybrid golf ball developed for quick play in half the time. I can't stand how looong the standard game takes... Looking for efficient golf here!

Dave, no 14 clubs to many to qualify here, has to be less, want to quicken & streamline the game down for efficiency & enjoyment! The Old game takes to long for my schedule.
For example: I carry 8 clubs, in a Ping Moonlite carry bag and use the new Hybrid golf ball developed for quick play in half the time. I can't stand how looong the standard game takes... Looking for efficient golf here!
Wouldnt carrying fewer clubs make the game longer?

Well, for several reasons, fewer clubs simplifies club selection and since I'm a walker, carrying less weight (smaller bag with fewer clubs) makes game much lighter & quicker.
Add in the new Hybrid ball that floats and almost always in play)...a doz. last me all year and then some). I like the economy & efficiency of it all!

Nah, I like things just the way they are

I pack a Sunday bag with 5 clubs for par 3 courses and love it, best golf money I ever spent. But I wouldn't play 18 for score like that. Just too many yardage gaps to get exposed on longer courses.

As far as decision making, that's not even a factor. I'm a terrible golfer, but I still know within 2 seconds of seeing my ball land what my next shot is going to be. Maybe I check the yardage when I get up there and grab a 1 number different iron than what I had, but it's not a significant factor on pace of play.

I play minimalist golf a few times a year with a 7 club bag, its great fun. Club selection is a no brainer, speeds up the game tremendously, it simplifies things, and my score is virtually the same as with my regular bag. I definitely can see the appeal of minimalist golf. (y)

Hey, things change, but to each their own! I'm a progressive golfer always looking for a better more efficient way to play.

I pack a Sunday bag with 5 clubs for par 3 courses and love it, best golf money I ever spent. But I wouldn't play 18 for score like that. Just too many yardage gaps to get exposed on longer courses.

As far as decision making, that's not even a factor. I'm a terrible golfer, but I still know within 2 seconds of seeing my ball land what my next shot is going to be. Maybe I check the yardage when I get up there and grab a 1 number different iron than what I had, but it's not a significant factor on pace of play.
I play 18 with a Sunday bag and abbreviated set of 8 clubs in 21/2 to 3 hrs, walking every week and I'm in my 70's, playing to a 5. There are no gaps... just choke up!

I play minimalist golf a few times a year with a 7 club bag, its great fun. Club selection is a no brainer, speeds up the game tremendously, it simplifies things, and my score is virtually the same as with my regular bag. I definitely can see the appeal of minimalist golf. (y)
Yes, you've got the idea!

Heck, I’ve even done five. 5w - 7i - 9i - SW - P every now and then from the senior tees. Great fun to manufacture golf shots.

Heck, I’ve even done five. 5w - 7i - 9i - SW - P every now and then from the senior tees. Great fun to manufacture golf shots.
I've minimized out with one club, received club with adjustable head from wedge to putting iron, carried club & played with one ball, three tee's and scorecard in pocket...truly refreshing...but wouldn't want to make a habit of it!

I play 18 with a Sunday bag and abbreviated set of 8 clubs in 21/2 to 3 hrs, walking every week and I'm in my 70's, playing to a 5. There are no gaps... just choke up!

That's the thing... I played a 2400 yard par 3 course yesterday walking with 5 clubs, and I couldn't finish it in 3 hours. The biggest delay isn't picking a club. It's always, always other golfers in front of you.

Using a golf cart is a great way to speed up the game as a single.

I can't wrap head around having less clubs speed up the game. But to each their own.

That's the thing... I played a 2400 yard par 3 course yesterday walking with 5 clubs, and I couldn't finish it in 3 hours. The biggest delay isn't picking a club. It's always, always other golfers in front of you.
Agreed, lost balls & slow play is a killer! Average golfer's just can't keep the ball in play. Saw a guy put almost a doz. in lake on one hole, walked away in disgust!
I play 18 holes in 3 hrs. walking championship par course and hardly ever lose a ball.

Why would fewer clubs speed up the game?

Willing to bet my decision making is identical to those who have 8 clubs in their bag.

Not a decision making issue. Carrying a lighter bag with fewer clubs can help someone move faster between shots.

I’m just stating the argument because there are so many variables in the pace of play argument. Because, conversely to the pace of play explanation listed above, we can assume that a deliberate player carrying fewer clubs will still be deliberate and a faster player carrying a full bag will still play fast, relatively speaking.

I've minimized out with one club, received club with adjustable head from wedge to putting iron, carried club & played with one ball, three tee's and scorecard in pocket...truly refreshing...but wouldn't want to make a habit of it!
The one club you can adjust to every loft sounds like it would waste way more time than having multiple clubs. If your goal is to carry fewer clubs for a lighter bag, that's fine but I think that's a small factor in speeding up play.

Add in the new Hybrid ball that floats and almost always in play)...a doz. last me all year and then some). I like the economy & efficiency of it all!
Agreed, lost balls & slow play is a killer! Average golfer's just can't keep the ball in play. Saw a guy put almost a doz. in lake on one hole, walked away in disgust!
I play 18 holes in 3 hrs. walking championship par course and hardly ever lose a ball.
OK, some of the things you've posted don't make sense to me. How is the ball you select "almost always" keeping you in play? Also, 1 guy hitting a dozen balls into a lake sounds like it would be independent of how many clubs are being carried or what ball is being used.

The stuff you said about the hybrid ball, it staying in play "almost always", speeding up play, etc. sounds like an ad for some new ball. So, I Googled some of these phrases from your posts and it goes to a website about a limited flight ball. Some of the talking points on that site are almost exactly what you've posted here. I'm not going to post the link here because if you are associated with the brand, I don't want to be the one drawing attention to it (you should do that yourself).

Anyone tried limiting their clubs, bag & ball? I'm interested in finding out how this has simplified and changed the game. Does the efficiency make the game quicker?
I did it last year and would never go back to 14 clubs. Not only is my bag lighter to carry but its a simpler and cheaper way to play the game. You dont need 14 clubs anyways, that just an arbitrary number that the R&A set on about 100 years ago because you had people with like 30 clubs and they felt like that wasnt in the original spirit of the game.
I dont know that it really makes the game quicker though. I suppose that it prevents you from trying to decide between 2 different clubs that are close in loft but I dont think it makes that big of a difference.
IMO, no one needs more than 8 clubs anyways.

The one club you can adjust to every loft sounds like it would waste way more time than having multiple clubs. If your goal is to carry fewer clubs for a lighter bag, that's fine but I think that's a small factor in speeding up play.

OK, some of the things you've posted don't make sense to me. How is the ball you select "almost always" keeping you in play? Also, 1 guy hitting a dozen balls into a lake sounds like it would be independent of how many clubs are being carried or what ball is being used.

The stuff you said about the hybrid ball, it staying in play "almost always", speeding up play, etc. sounds like an ad for some new ball. So, I Googled some of these phrases from your posts and it goes to a website about a limited flight ball. Some of the talking points on that site are almost exactly what you've posted here. I'm not going to post the link here because if you are associated with the brand, I don't want to be the one drawing attention to it (you should do that yourself).
Now wait a minute, you're trying to change the subject to golf balls...nobody is selling or promoting golf balls here. If you want to mention brands you might want to go to a golf ball forum. I just happen to use a hybrid limited flight golf ball and I "almost always keep IT in play"! I guess anyone can go to a website and quote for what it is...if you play any certain brand you pretty much go along with what their talking points stress, as you said?

Let's try to keep to the original discussion, "anyone tried limiting the clubs, bag & ball," we're talking about minimalist golf here and what it takes to make the "whole experience" minimal, quicker & simpler... not just the ball!

I did it last year and would never go back to 14 clubs. Not only is my bag lighter to carry but its a simpler and cheaper way to play the game. You dont need 14 clubs anyways, that just an arbitrary number that the R&A set on about 100 years ago because you had people with like 30 clubs and they felt like that wasnt in the original spirit of the game.
I dont know that it really makes the game quicker though. I suppose that it prevents you from trying to decide between 2 different clubs that are close in loft but I dont think it makes that big of a difference.
IMO, no one needs more than 8 clubs anyways.
May I ask what 8 clubs you carry? TIA

I’m pretty minimal, don’t even have a back up set(yet, waiting for the forged tec OL refresh to build a second set this year for the first time ever).
I do however have a little Jones carry bag that I got as a gift. I use this mostly on some sundays/dedicated range + 3 hole days all the time - I grab my driver, 19 degree hybrid, 5 iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, 46, 58 and putter. But I couldn’t do it full time. Also the golf bag I use is from a company called Minimal Golf. My bag is super streamlined.

May I ask what 8 clubs you carry? TIA
I go driver, 3h, 6i, 8i, chipper, 54 degree wedge and putter.
Last year I had a 5/7/8 iron setup but I dont really use my 5-iron that much and I find a chipper to be highly useful, so I switched to a 6/8 setup.
Thats the cool thing about going minimalist. You can pick whatever 7-9 clubs that suits YOU.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back