Minnesota & Wisconsin Thread

I've played all those courses.
I think the Meadows is the hardest (even harder than hazeltine in my opinion). Then Hazeltine, Chaska, the Wilds in order of difficulty. The Wilds has a great deal in the spring and fall where you pay the temp to play. One time it only cost me 29 dollars to play!!
That also means you were playing below freezing for a portion of the day! Haha

I think I shot 75 from the tips at Hazeltine and I golfed my ass off back in college and haven’t sniffed a good round the other 3 times I have played it. The approaches are a lot more demanding there for me anyways.

Interesting hearing about Chaska. Back in the mid-60s when I was in high school (Minnetonka HS) the Minnesota went into major flood stage. A bunch of high school buddies and I, late at night, volunteered to put up sand bags to save the town. We expected more help but found out many of the locals gave up earlier that evening and went into town to hang out in the bars for pizza and to drink beer. I haven't thought about that in decades...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That also means you were playing below freezing for a portion of the day! Haha

I think I shot 75 from the tips at Hazeltine and I golfed my ass off back in college and haven’t sniffed a good round the other 3 times I have played it. The approaches are a lot more demanding there for me anyways.
Hazeltine is just a big course. Didn't get to play it, but spun around it in a cart before the Ryder Cup. Some day.

Hazeltine is just a big course. Didn't get to play it, but spun around it in a cart before the Ryder Cup. Some day.
I have grown to love it more every time I play it.

I've played all those courses.
I think the Meadows is the hardest (even harder than hazeltine in my opinion). Then Hazeltine, Chaska, the Wilds in order of difficulty. The Wilds has a great deal in the spring and fall where you pay the temp to play. One time it only cost me 29 dollars to play!!
Buddy and I showed up at the Meadows after playing hooky for the afternoon for their twilight. We had never seen the course and we were running out of light.
Talk about a tough round!
Chaska is tough but fair. I've shot 70's there at least. Baker is tough too. Lotta long rounds there, however.
But the Wilds I really played well and didn't get much back from the round that day at least.
The Legend is tough too. And lets see...Willingers.

FYI, stay clear of Midland Hills CC if you are offered to play. It's under construction now through 2021 and it's quite a mess and noisy.

I did break 100 though!

I have a pic of me on the Payne Stewart bridge. The par 3's looked nasty.
That's quite the hole, number 16 I believe (although for the Ryder Cup it was #7). Water right, creek left of the fairway, and the green surrender by water on both sides and behind. However, if you can place your drive in the fairway, it can definitely be a birdie hole, as I don't think it is that long.

FYI, stay clear of Midland Hills CC if you are offered to play. It's under construction now through 2021 and it's quite a mess and noisy.

I did break 100 though!
Seth Raynor course. Are they doing a period-appropriate rehab, I hope?
(Used to deliver meals on wheels to the old folks that lived all around the course. Let me on!!!) :ROFLMAO:

That's quite the hole, number 16 I believe (although for the Ryder Cup it was #7). Water right, creek left of the fairway, and the green surrender by water on both sides and behind. However, if you can place your drive in the fairway, it can definitely be a birdie hole, as I don't think it is that long.
I seem to recall a lot of 3 woods being played off that hole. I had no idea where to aim standing on the tee, that's for sure. Caddy would be very helpful there!

Seth Raynor course. Are they doing a period-appropriate rehab, I hope?
(Used to deliver meals on wheels to the old folks that lived all around the course. Let me on!!!) :ROFLMAO:

I'm not a member, so not certain, but they appeared to be widening some of the fairways by +/- 20 yards (singed grass). I was told that they are going to add some fescue and other natural hazards to make you pay more if you miss the fairways (it's quite open right now since they removed hundreds of trees over the past decade or so).

I'm not a member, so not certain, but they appeared to be widening some of the fairways by +/- 20 yards (singed grass). I was told that they are going to add some fescue and other natural hazards to make you pay more if you miss the fairways (it's quite open right now since they removed hundreds of trees over the past decade or so).
Nice! That does sound like it has the makings of a period-appropriate rehab. So many classic courses they over-planted trees all the time.
Roseville has sure changed in the last ten years. :eek:

I was hopeful when they said Keller was going to be a Ross-style rehab, but I don't think they hit the nail at all. That was one of my last rounds I played back in '15.

How so? I've only been in the TC for 8 years and probably didn't go over there until 2016.

How so? I've only been in the TC for 8 years and probably didn't go over there until 2016.
Just different demographics. I understand crime rates have gone up a lot. The shopping mall provided a lot of tax revenue, and that's in danger of drying up.
The Golf Galaxy was boarded up for civil unrest for pete's sake. :rolleyes::LOL:
The Philando Castillo event happened right where I used to drive by for meals on wheels. Different vibes for sure.
MetCouncil/transit have impacted/changed things a lot in a lot of areas. (n)

I did break 100 though!

Been a while since I played there. Was like 105 degrees the day my buddy and I played it.

Nice! That does sound like it has the makings of a period-appropriate rehab. So many classic courses they over-planted trees all the time.

I was hopeful when they said Keller was going to be a Ross-style rehab, but I don't think they hit the nail at all. That was one of my last rounds I played back in '15.

I drive by Keller several times a week. Live right by it played it a thousand times. My proudest round I shot there (aa 75 on the old course).

They should have left it, imo.

One of only 2 munis. In the entire country to have held a major I believe. My second favorite course behind White b Yacht club.

Just diff:rolleyes::LOL:
MetCouncil/transit have impacted/changed things a lot in a lot of areas. (n)

Don't get me started on the Met Council. :mad:

Speaking of hard courses, where do you all rank Troy Burne? I found that course difficult (eexplains probably why they had a Nationwide event there for a decade).

I used to make the trek over to Troy Burne. It's a good test. It takes a few times around to get somewhat used to the greens, they have some pretty severe slopes and sections on some of them. And they used to be pretty fast 12-ish stimp. That was a big adjustment.
Been a while. Felt like it went downhill a little conditions-wise after the NW event ended. Pretty good walk. Some hills. Its fun.
Staying on the MN side, I preferred StoneRidge as a poor man's alternative to Troy.

I used to make the trek over to Troy Burne. It's a good test. It takes a few times around to get somewhat used to the greens, they have some pretty severe slopes and sections on some of them. And they used to be pretty fast 12-ish stimp. That was a big adjustment.
Been a while. Felt like it went downhill a little conditions-wise after the NW event ended. Pretty good walk. Some hills. Its fun.
Staying on the MN side, I preferred StoneRidge as a poor man's alternative to Troy.

Stoneridge is one course I have never played strangely in this area. I have played Dellwood, WBYC, Indian Hills, Stillwater CC, White Eagle, Hudson CC (before closed), the Private course in Woodbury (iit's name escapes me), but nevnever StoneRidge. Always wanted to play it though of course.

I'm just going to vent that, even with covid, Bearpath won't let you use your own push cart.

I played great (for me) but that just bugs me for some reason.

I'm just going to vent that, even with covid, Bearpath won't let you use your own push cart.

I played great (for me) but that just bugs me for some reason.
They not want to disinfect?

They not want to disinfect?
They disinfect, but it would be better to let me use my own (push) cart, then there is literally zero chance I get someone else infected with their cart as the vector.

I've never understood the private clubs that don't let you use your own push cart. It seems like a cheesy way to nickel and dime you.

That said, the course was in amazing shape. The greens were slower than the last time I played there though.

Any of you guys play in the Detroit Lakes area? I have the guys up to my place every Fall, and we usually do thumper pond, Greystone, and Perham CC, but we're looking to change it up a little.

Something not too brutal, one of the guys had a hard time breaking 100 at Thumper.

Heck, he had a hard time breaking 100.....

Any of you guys play in the Detroit Lakes area? I have the guys up to my place every Fall, and we usually do thumper pond, Greystone, and Perham CC, but we're looking to change it up a little.

Something not too brutal, one of the guys had a hard time breaking 100 at Thumper.

Hey now, I'd be pleased breaking 100!

Forrest Hills or Wildflower are decent tracks. Not as tight as Thumper Pond. Both are really close too. I have heard Headwaters in Park Rapids is nice, but I haven't played it before. Blueberry Pines as well. But, I had heard it's gone down hill a bit in quality since I played it about 18 years back.

Forrest Hills or Wildflower are decent tracks. Not as tight as Thumper Pond. Both are really close too. I have heard Headwaters in Park Rapids is nice, but I haven't played it before. Blueberry Pines as well. But, I had heard it's gone down hill a bit in quality since I played it about 18 years back.
Thanks!!!!

We'll have fun anywhere, but it would be nice to hit somewhere new this year.

Back