Minnesota & Wisconsin Thread

My wife and I are playing at Spooner Golf Club this afternoon in Spooner, WI. Our guests left yesterday and it’s time to get the new Morgan Cup Cobra clubs on the course again.

Starting our trip back to Georgia Saturday morning with a stop along the way near Chicago to visit my in laws.

We come up to Northwest, WI every summer for 3-4 weeks in either July or August. Looking forward to meeting and playing with some more THPers then.
Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry I couldn't get up there to meet you. Next year. For certain!!!

It's been a while. Any plans for some Fall golfing in the metro????

Was just up in Rochester last weekend, but no golf. We played an event in Hudson (I think) in 2015. Can’t recall the course.

Anyway, I’m close to both states. One of these days we need to make something happen.

I’ll host anybody that ever wants to visit as well. Lots of great golf locally.

Was just up in Rochester last weekend, but no golf. We played an event in Hudson (I think) in 2015. Can’t recall the course.

Anyway, I’m close to both states. One of these days we need to make something happen.
What?!?! No way. That's my area, everyone else seems to be in the cities. Always (well not always) willing to do a round if you come up.

It's been a while. Any plans for some Fall golfing in the metro????
I would like to, yes. Let's get something on the books even if it's small. What weekends are you available? If we can get a day or something then we can figure out the where and who else more easily hopefully.

What?!?! No way. That's my area, everyone else seems to be in the cities. Always (well not always) willing to do a round if you come up.

Yep! I think it was Troy Burne?

I would like to, yes. Let's get something on the books even if it's small. What weekends are you available? If we can get a day or something then we can figure out the where and who else more easily hopefully.
I'm doing a guy's weekend the 23-25th and taking my dock and boat lift out next weekend. After that I would be up for something. I can drive down your way.

I'm doing a guy's weekend the 23-25th and taking my dock and boat lift out next weekend. After that I would be up for something. I can drive down your way.

I was hoping the first couple weekends of October for a get together.

So, throwing this out there for planning purposes for next year, but we could have a decent amount of guys up at my lake place in Ottertail County. Wildflower, Thumper Pond, Perham CC all close, and it wouldn't be expensive with a free place to stay. If we locked in a weekend in the Fall early, it could be doable.

Thumper Pond has the golf scooters to rent. :cool:

I’ll be in Rochester next week with a day between appointments. The wife is planning on working remotely that day so I’m thinking of golfing. Anyplace not overly expensive I can play 9 while she is working?

I’ll be in Rochester next week with a day between appointments. The wife is planning on working remotely that day so I’m thinking of golfing. Anyplace not overly expensive I can play 9 while she is working?
What do you consider overly expensive?

Oak Summit and Willow Creek are both south Rochester and probably like 30 bucks or so for 9? You can play in RiverView (one town south like 10 minutes?) for like 20 bucks 9 w/ cart I'm pretty sure.

Those are all good enough courses - oak summit is very hilly, willow creek is a bit ratchet and river view is short but fun.

What do you consider overly expensive?

Oak Summit and Willow Creek are both south Rochester and probably like 30 bucks or so for 9? You can play in RiverView (one town south like 10 minutes?) for like 20 bucks 9 w/ cart I'm pretty sure.

Those are all good enough courses - oak summit is very hilly, willow creek is a bit ratchet and river view is short but fun.
Do you know anything about Maple Valley?

Do you know anything about Maple Valley?
I know that it's about the most bugs per Capita anyplace in this world.

I've only played there a couple times and the bugs were so bad both times that I'll go back after the first frost but not before.

Beautiful course though, very fun to play.

Little Willow is an executive 9. Kinda fun if you only have a little while to get out.

I know that it's about the most bugs per Capita anyplace in this world.

I've only played there a couple times and the bugs were so bad both times that I'll go back after the first frost but not before.

Beautiful course though, very fun to play.
i ended up at Maple Valley. I talked to my doctor and she said it was a very scenic course and fun to play. Bugs were not a problem since it was 47 at tee off. Funny thing the first thing I saw when I walked into to the pro shop to the left was an array of bug sprays. I made a note of that since I didn’t have any in my travel bag but it was never necessary. The course was in nice shape and the greens rolled true. It was a nice place to spend a day between appointments while the wife worked remotely from our room.7F39366C-A704-4ED6-8502-31BB008130C4.jpeg8FCD311E-CDAC-48A8-A723-03728E8B0463.jpeg

i ended up at Maple Valley. I talked to my doctor and she said it was a very scenic course and fun to play. Bugs were not a problem since it was 47 at tee off. Funny thing the first thing I saw when I walked into to the pro shop to the left was an array of bug sprays. I made a note of that since I didn’t have any in my travel bag but it was never necessary. The course was in nice shape and the greens rolled true. It was a nice place to spend a day between appointments while the wife worked remotely from our room.View attachment 9122570View attachment 9122572
I'm glad you had fun. That par 3 in your second picture is a great hole.

So, throwing this out there for planning purposes for next year, but we could have a decent amount of guys up at my lake place in Ottertail County. Wildflower, Thumper Pond, Perham CC all close, and it wouldn't be expensive with a free place to stay. If we locked in a weekend in the Fall early, it could be doable.

I would be interested in that, for sure!

Oh man! My bachelor party was at Wildflower and we played Perham and Detroit CC. All great options you gave.

Oh man! My bachelor party was at Wildflower and we played Perham and Detroit CC. All great options you gave.
Did you play Thumper? I love that course. 9 is evil now that I've developed the "lefts" instead of a slice though.

Did you play Thumper? I love that course. 9 is evil now that I've developed the "lefts" instead of a slice though.
We didn’t play it that weekend but my buddy got married there a few years later. Fun course.

Back