Minor League Baseball Team Names

1992-2016 they were the Binghamton Mets.

They decided to have a contest to rename the team and they because the Binghamton Rumble Ponies. Sadly Binghamton Stud Muffins lost in the finals.

The Binghamton area is known at the carousel capital of the world.

c47573c3e375bdbeca643abd6f9d1d53.jpg

1992-2016 they were the Binghamton Mets.

They decided to have a contest to rename the team and they because the Binghamton Rumble Ponies. Sadly Binghamton Stud Muffins lost in the finals.

The Binghamton area is known at the carousel capital of the world.

c47573c3e375bdbeca643abd6f9d1d53.jpg

I remember the old Binghamton Broome Dusters, for Broome County. We had the Johnstown Jets where I grew up.

These guys were a New Jersey Devils affiliate for a while. They marketed the heck out of that name.

View attachment 8991349

Sock Puppets seems a little derogatory to me. Maybe I'm old school, but I think you want your mascot to be a little more positive than that.

Great name, great logo and mascot. Horrible sports town.

Brockmire had the Morristown (PA) Frackers:

1612213783100.png

It really and truly is.

But we have Frontier League baseball this year. I will probably go to a couple games to check it out. I tried to go to a couple Valley Cats games the past few years.

My hometown minor league baseball team announced they were changing their name to the Burlington Sock Puppets! 😳🤔👎 You might remember them as the Burlington Indians (Cleveland affiliate) in the movie Bull Durham. They were purchased by the KC Royals in the mid-2000s and became the Burlington Royals. Several MLB Hall of Famers have made stops in Burlington... Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, CC Sabathia, Bartolo Colon. They are now unaffiliated and decided to rebrand themselves. Burlington had a booming textile industry including big manufactures like Cone and Gold Toe, so I understand the homage. But, couldn’t you choose the Blue Sox, Gold Sox etc.?! Burlington is also the home of Lab Corp, so why not a take off that? You hear about weird minor league team names a lot. What is your opinion? What’s the weirdest minor league team name you heard of?

View attachment 8991343

I see that like the Albany area team, you lost your Major League affiliation. You’re in a collegiate wood bat league. We now have a team in the independent Frontier League.

Albuquerque Isotopes
Hartford Yard Goats

AAA and AA teams of the Colorado Rockies, I believe.

Last edited:
I love minor league baseball nicknames! Rocket City Trash Pandas is great. I am a Milwaukee Brewers fan, one of their affiliates is the Biloxi Shuckers. I also get a kick out of the Hillsboro Hops (which IMO should be a Brewers affiliate), Amarillo Sod Poodles, Traverse City Pit Spitters, Missoula Paddleheads and many others.

I did radio play by play and media relations for a minor league team call the Batavia Muckdogs.

1612216617601.jpeg

I see that like the Albany area team, you lost your Major League affiliation. You’re in a collegiate wood bat league. We now have a team in the independent Frontier League.

Albuquerque Isotopes
Hartford Yard Goats

AAA and AA teams of the Colorado Rockies, I believe.

those cuts this year decimated the NY-Penn league. It's a shame too.

My hometown minor league baseball team announced they were changing their name to the Burlington Sock Puppets! 😳🤔👎 You might remember them as the Burlington Indians (Cleveland affiliate) in the movie Bull Durham. They were purchased by the KC Royals in the mid-2000s and became the Burlington Royals. Several MLB Hall of Famers have made stops in Burlington... Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, CC Sabathia, Bartolo Colon. They are now unaffiliated and decided to rebrand themselves. Burlington had a booming textile industry including big manufactures like Cone and Gold Toe, so I understand the homage. But, couldn’t you choose the Blue Sox, Gold Sox etc.?! Burlington is also the home of Lab Corp, so why not a take off that? You hear about weird minor league team names a lot. What is your opinion? What’s the weirdest minor league team name you heard of?

View attachment 8991343
I've got to say, I love that name and I love the branding. I would definitely rock a sock puppet hat.

Danville, VA new minor league baseball team!😳👎

I miss the Las Vegas 51's, with their Area 51 theme. They are now the Las Vegas Aviators.

Danville, VA new minor league baseball team!😳👎

I’m not going to ask what an Otterbot is? I actually just read up on it. And I have no clue what the connection is between Danville and Otters and Bots.

the closest to me and the Cleveland Baseball Team's AA affiliate: The Akron Rubber Ducks 1615937819212.png

I’m not going to ask what an Otterbot is? I actually just read up on it. And I have no clue what the connection is between Danville and Otters and Bots.
The way I understand it is the Dan River runs through Danville, so that's the otter connection. The ro-"bots" comes from Danville's push for STEM education and modern technology. They combined them to make a take off from Transformers Autobots to Otterbots. Just another weird and wacky minor league mascot.

iu
iu

The Boston RedSox are moving their AAA team to my hometown.
It always seemed to make sense rather than have the team in a different state, The team used to be in Pawtucket RI.

The Stadium looks really nice and its a great addition to the city. Not sure how I like the Logo. They are the Worcester Red Sox but yet there's a Heart???

Some gems here! Haha! Seems the most common denominator involves some type of 'name the team' contest...

Reminds me of the online poll in 2016 to name a new polar research vessel. Winning name - Boaty McBoatface.

Yes, but the Whaty McWhatface idea died a quick death!

I did radio play by play and media relations for a minor league team call the Batavia Muckdogs.

View attachment 8991387

Did they survive the purge? I know the Mahoning Valley Scrappers played them in years past. That's my local MiLB team that used to be the "short season" class A ball affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. They are now in the "scout" league. Saw lots of great players come through here.

the closest to me and the Cleveland Baseball Team's AA affiliate: The Akron Rubber Ducks View attachment 8998305

Who used to be called the Aeros. The name was changed to rubber ducks to more closely ally the team with Akron's rubber and tire making history. Whether that makes any difference or not, if you are ever in the Akron area during baseball season, and have the chance to catch a game at Canal Park, the home of the Rubber Ducks, I would advise you to do so. The park is gorgeous!

Our local Single A team just announced a new name as well. They are going to be the Beloit Sky Carp. The name was one of 5 finalist that were voted on. Have not seen the logo yet but with be interested to see what they come up with.

Here in Louisville we have the Cincinnati Reds Triple A affiliate Louisville Bats.

LB.JPG
LB1.JPG
LB2.JPG

A few years ago we got the Hartford Yard Goats
358bd1269c36d27734482b4fdc9dbdb1.jpg

They play at Dunkin Donuts Park
8e0a2253a8861eed56644ff0e5614e0c.jpg

New mascot for the Princeton, WV minor league team!

View attachment 8991343

Considering all this seems oddly appropriate and tongue in check..

Back