Miura Irons: Why don’t free agents use them?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
I noticed Abraham Ancer won with Miura irons this weekend. I’m not a gear head by any means please excuse my ignorance... my question is simple... aren’t Miura supposed to be the best money can buy? If so why don’t free agents use them?? Not seen them in the bag of any free (or relatively recently free) agents. Koepka, Reed, Casey, Fleetwood & Tiger pre TM...

I'd guess it's because Miura was known sort of, for not sponsoring athletes. Maybe off-contract players preferred to play companies more "in the game" to maybe entice bidding for their services.

I've really no idea, just guessing. On one hand you'd think they'd just bag the best in order to play their best. But let's be honest, they want that fat contract.

I am sure you will find them in some free agents.

From memory, I played 3 sets from 98-2011, and many sets of wedges, even a Miura Giken that someone brought back from Japan for me. Think it was my favorite wedge.

Miura had that special almost mythical rep until about 7 yr ago. Their rep was the forging process, somewhat controversial because they used a special technique to fuse the hosel and head together. I first owned the 201s and 301' - the 201s were special, although they fouled up the transition from 7i to 8i - the look did not flow through the set. Feel was dense, solid, soft - all at once as if you had a scalpel in your hands. But they had issues with the leading edges - the one complaint you heard - they did not go through the turf smoothly when not precisely hit. They have worked on that over the last 20 yrs.

They are known for their blades - baby and regular, but even their CB's offered excellent ball speed.

But they did not "get "the forgiving iron - they had one not made in Japan I believe but the design was not what peeps expected from Miura. It looked cheap.

And then Miura, I believe, sold part of the company to Tour Spec (JB corrected below - perhaps Tour Spec is the distributor) about 5-6 years ago. At that time, you saw more models coming out to reinvigorate the brand. The new models are not unique as to look or demand but still garner excellent reviews.

Miura is known to clubmakers for being on point as to spec - so they appreciate that aspect. Miura is not the most techy iron out there.

I believe most OEMs have surpassed Miura in terms of bells, whistles, tech. While they still make great irons, a lack of marketing and tech exists. And they are expensive - sort of like PXG in its heyday. And when you can purchase a comparable Mizuno, Callaway, TM, PXG, even Honma, etc for half the price, Miura becomes the brand that some just want, which is great. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

As to free agents, Miura does not have a rep for paying pros - KJ Choi used them to win the Players a long time ago, Miura copied what Tiger was playing early on but does not overtly admit to making them. Ancer may be paid indirectly - if so, the first they've paid. And I think that has only taken place since they were partially purchased.

Last edited:
And then Miura, I believe, sold part of the company to Tour Spec (?) about 5-6 years ago. At that time, you saw more models coming out to reinvigorate the brand. The new models are not unique as to look or demand but still garner excellent reviews.

Miura is owned by 8am Golf. They also own True Spec, Golf Magazine (golf.com), Chirp and a number of others. No coincidence that they are heavily promoted there.

I heard at some point(not saying it is true or not) that Tiger actually gamed Miura irons back in his prime and that they just had Titleist Stamped on them. Erik Anders Lang kind of asked Katsuhiro Miura about it in an interview of one of his videos but he neither confirmed or denied it. He just said they get the orders and make them, He mentioned they get orders from Titleist Japan then they stamp their logo/name but Miura doesn't know who it is for. I have Miura's and I love them and would love to feel other irons they make but i would also say they may get overhyped a little bit.

I heard at some point(not saying it is true or not) that Tiger actually gamed Miura irons back in his prime and that they just had Titleist Stamped on them. Erik Anders Lang kind of asked Katsuhiro Miura about it in an interview of one of his videos but he neither confirmed or denied it. He just said they get the orders and make them, He mentioned they get orders from Titleist Japan then they stamp their logo/name but Miura doesn't know who it is for. I have Miura's and I love them and would love to feel other irons they make but i would also say they may get overhyped a little bit.
Here's the video of the Erik Anders Lang interview, they also show a bit of the forging process

But they did not "get "the forgiving iron - they had one not made in Japan I believe but the design was not what peeps expected from Miura. It looked cheap.

if you're talking about the passing point line, i agree they looked very cheap. i hit the tc201 recently, and while i wouldn't say they're a "forgiving iron," they weren't as demanding as i expected and maybe one of my favorites i've hit in a long time.

Things like coming "on spec" from the factory are meaningless to Tour players. They can get any club customized/blueprinted/modified in almost any way imaginable. And I suspect the cachet of the whole exotic Japanese forging process only appeals to a very small subset of Tour golfers, just like it appeals to a small number of non-Tour golfers.

So most of the special-ness is probably lost on the majority of Tour players.

if you're talking about the passing point line, i agree they looked very cheap. i hit the tc201 recently, and while i wouldn't say they're a "forgiving iron," they weren't as demanding as i expected and maybe one of my favorites i've hit in a long time.

It was not the Passing Point although they were not that forgiving. That was a Miura Forging - the straight neck was better but that iron was disappointing. They put out some forgiving abomination that they farmed out (not made in Japan), not forged, to "get" to the forgiving market, and it looked horrid - fat sole, huge cavity, thick top line - saw it in 2011 at my clubmakers when he had a set probably for demo purposes - doubt if he sold or tried to sell them. It was shockingly bad.o_O

Last edited:
I would guess part of the reason is access at tournaments. Free agents can get whatever they want for free from many tour trailer at every tournament. If you want Titleist, TM, Callaway, Mizuno etc they are all out there. I don't believe the Miura is out on tour like that.

I would guess part of the reason is access at tournaments. Free agents can get whatever they want for free from many tour trailer at every tournament. If you want Titleist, TM, Callaway, Mizuno etc they are all out there. I don't believe the Miura is out on tour like that.

But if you ask, I bet you will have a set of irons. It's just that pay for play is a great incentive and I doubt if most see much, if any difference in the irons. You can find something similar and that something similar will pay you.

It's just a business decision that Miura made long ago.

Things like coming "on spec" from the factory are meaningless to Tour players. They can get any club customized/blueprinted/modified in almost any way imaginable. And I suspect the cachet of the whole exotic Japanese forging process only appeals to a very small subset of Tour golfers, just like it appeals to a small number of non-Tour golfers.

So most of the special-ness is probably lost on the majority of Tour players.
You’re over complicating it. Tour players want money.

But if you ask, I bet you will have a set of irons. It's just that pay for play is a great incentive and I doubt if most see much, if any difference in the irons. You can find something similar and that something similar will pay you.

It's just a business decision that Miura made long ago.

I agree that any pro can get whatever they want. It is expensive to fully commit to the tour and I get that Miura doesn’t want to do that. I also agree that getting paid plays a role. Even if people aren’t on staff I believe there is incentive there and if someone plays well with a manufacturer’s clubs in the bag it can lead to a contract. Money is a big driver of everything.

I agree that any pro can get whatever they want. It is expensive to fully commit to the tour and I get that Miura doesn’t want to do that. I also agree that getting paid plays a role. Even if people aren’t on staff I believe there is incentive there and if someone plays well with a manufacturer’s clubs in the bag it can lead to a contract. Money is a big driver of everything.

It can lead to a contract, but not with Miura.

It's about the money.

Ancer hit a loophole with Miura with his "arrangement." No direct money.

You’re over complicating it. Tour players want money.
The original post asked why didn't more "free agents" play Miura clubs. I took "free agents" to mean those not playing clubs they get paid to play.

The original post asked why didn't more "free agents" play Miura clubs. I took "free agents" to mean those not playing clubs they get paid to play.
They don’t because they can go somewhere else and get money. There are only a super small handful that play anything for no money, the true “free agent” thing will never be huge with so much money on the table.

Plus, tech wise, they’re just players MB’s Anne cavities. They feel amazing, but feel is only a part of the equation in today’s market with companies like Mizuno and Titleist doing what they are in those players iron categories.

And I say that being the owner of Miura CB57’s and 201’s.

I love the looks of some of their irons, but you can easily go with Mizzie's and get the same feel, and more tech for half the price.

It can lead to a contract, but not with Miura.

It's about the money.

Ancer hit a loophole with Miura with his "arrangement." No direct money.

Maybe? There seem to be a lot of loopholes as of late with their True Spec sponsored players that at least in part play Miura.

Maybe? There seem to be a lot of loopholes as of late with their True Spec sponsored players that at least in part play Miura.

You keep up with this better than me. I trust your assessment of the industry.

I just saw an email saying everything on the site is 15% off through the 15th to celebrate Ancer’s big win.

If you have been thinking about giving them a shot this may be the time.

I still don't think Miura knows how to make a forgiving CB forging for mid to high cappers - it's not their thing. I don't think they are comfortable with it.

If you're going Miura, I mean, go for the real thing - the one-piece forged Blade or CB.

BUT they are demanding irons.

That's why I avoid them.:ROFLMAO:

JMHO.

Last edited:
They are too hard to hit!!. I have a few Pro friends who love having a set laying around to play once in a while. But both of them admit they are just brutal on an off day.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Back