I figured I would follow up on some of my concerns now that I have a couple of full rounds with the Hot Metals. I was worried about ball flight being a bit low and not having enough spin to hold greens. I was playing the Bridgestone e12 Contact for the first time, so I wasn't sure how much of it was the clubs and how much was the ball. I played one round alternating the e12 and the Srixon Q Star Tour. The Q Star had a higher ball flight and, having a urethane cover, had more spin into and around the greens. I was a little surprised the e12 just seemed to fly a bit lower. Even with the e12 I found I was able to hold greens, so I don’t think it’s really an issue.

The second round I alternated between the Callaway Supersoft and Taylormade Tour Response. Nice high ball flight on both of these and no issues with spin on approach shots. The Taylormade was better, but my concern about getting enough spin seems to be unwarranted.

The irons really performed well and were definitely a bright spot when I had driver and putting trouble both days. Even on mis-hits I’m getting good distance and the ball is flying straight. They have a little less offset, so I’m not missing left as much as I was with the Rocketbladez. Distance, forgiveness, feel, looks, are all great on these Mizunos. Can’t wait to get back out with these!

I figured I would follow up on some of my concerns now that I have a couple of full rounds with the Hot Metals. I was worried about ball flight being a bit low and not having enough spin to hold greens. I was playing the Bridgestone e12 Contact for the first time, so I wasn't sure how much of it was the clubs and how much was the ball. I played one round alternating the e12 and the Srixon Q Star Tour. The Q Star had a higher ball flight and, having a urethane cover, had more spin into and around the greens. I was a little surprised the e12 just seemed to fly a bit lower. Even with the e12 I found I was able to hold greens, so I don’t think it’s really an issue.

The second round I alternated between the Callaway Supersoft and Taylormade Tour Response. Nice high ball flight on both of these and no issues with spin on approach shots. The Taylormade was better, but my concern about getting enough spin seems to be unwarranted.

The irons really performed well and were definitely a bright spot when I had driver and putting trouble both days. Even on mis-hits I’m getting good distance and the ball is flying straight. They have a little less offset, so I’m not missing left as much as I was with the Rocketbladez. Distance, forgiveness, feel, looks, are all great on these Mizunos. Can’t wait to get back out with these!
Good stuff. I made sure when I did my fitting today that I used the two balls that I play most all of my rounds with. Was able to get a good idea of spin #'s and that helps a lot.

So it is back to Mizuno for me, did a fitting today and was looking for some more forgiveness and mainly to pick up some lost distance.
Mizuno Hot Metal Pro, 5-PW, Recoil 95 F4, 2 flat MCC+4 grips.
I know these irons are to be replaced and am sure the new line will be awesome but having seen them it was nothing that jumped out at me and the HMP is great iron.
I definitely picked up distance over my Srixon ZX7's so that is a plus for me.
Spin wise is was hitting 5100 with a 41° decent angle so more than enough to hold a green using a Chrome Soft ball.. I also hit some shots with a Srixon Soft feel and lost some spin down to about 4500 but was a bit longer so I will have some options to mess around with once it warms up.

Really looking forward to being back in the Mizuno line of irons and should have them by Christmas.

Congratulations, love my HM Pros. I'm just hoping when I get back into full swing, that the X Stiff C-Taper lites still fit me. Wrist isn't up to full strength yet along with full range of motion. Doing a lot of chipping though. Maybe I'll be better at that when all is said and done:cool:

Good stuff. I made sure when I did my fitting today that I used the two balls that I play most all of my rounds with. Was able to get a good idea of spin #'s and that helps a lot.

I probably should’ve done that as well. Wouldn’t have changed my decision, but I would’ve had a better idea of how my normal ball would play and I wouldn’t have been worried about ball flight and spin.

And I picked up my Mizuno 5-PW Hot Metal Pro set a bit ago. These will be hitting the course tomorrow after work for at least 9 holes just to have a get to know you session.

As usuaully happens at new equipment releases, I wish the more forgiving 921 sub-models had the Tour version's lofts.

As usuaully happens at new equipment releases, I wish the more forgiving 921 sub-models had the Tour version's lofts.
They can be bent weak, but it effects the bounce.

I’ve read and watched the reviews on all the new releases. The 921 HMP seems to hit my sweet spot as far as an overall package.

I’ve read and watched the reviews on all the new releases. The 921 HMP seems to hit my sweet spot as far as an overall package.
I'm looking forward to this as I had the previous generation of the Hot Metal so should be interesting.
These also came in really fast, ordered on Nov 29th and arrived today.

And I picked up my Mizuno 5-PW Hot Metal Pro set a bit ago. These will be hitting the course tomorrow after work for at least 9 holes just to have a get to know you session.
Keep us posted how it goes. I have been seriously thinking about going HMP. 4-5 (&maybe 6) FliHi Hyb, 6G. I get along fine with my Forges but if I add the hybrids in there and a tad more forgiveness, it could be awesome. This never ends lol

Couple quick pics
5iron at address
59E079A1-933B-4370-AB60-9AA4FCF45E93.jpeg
7iron
386762F7-746E-4CA2-8EFD-466910958D2D.jpeg
Love these grips!!!
D2AA2944-AE5C-4F55-A45B-48A0DEC9F0D0.jpeg

I could bag this range for sure. I'm not sure if I would go Forged or HMP. I am surprised how easy the 4 iron is for me to hit in both of these sets. I don't carry the 4 iron from my King Tour set. I can hit it, but nothing like the HMP.

Yes!!! I made that switch a few years ago and love them.

My Hot Metals came with those and I 100% agree, they are GREAT! Every time I pick up one of my irons, I end up making some kind of comment about how good they feel.

Mine are gray, but I’m loving that blue! 🔥🔥🔥

Looking forward to hearing how the new irons perform on the course for you!

Okay so had the maiden voyage today with the Hot Metal Pros. I was very impressed with the results considering the temp was 48° with the windchill at 38°.
First approach was from 163 and I grabbed 7 iron and came up about 5 yards short of the pin and a bit left. (would have been 5i with old clubs)
3rd hole par 3, 143. 8 iron pin high (would have been 7 iron for sure with old clubs)
4th hole I pulled drive and was 173 out with a crosswind blowing my left to right. This is where I dropped 2 balls and decide to see what was what with these irons.
1t shot I grab the 6 iron and hit a draw into the wind that ended up about 40 feet left on the green but pin high. :oops:
2nd shot I grab 5 iron and while not near as good if strike i was dead at the pin 8 feet short. I think I swung to easy but it worked out.
5th hole quartering into the wind from 130 and hit a nice 8 iron about 10 feet short of the pin and about 15 feet right.
7th hole had 120 and hit PW to 10 feet pin high left.
8th hole is 173 yard par 3 I grabbed the 6 iron and was 6 feet short about 6 feet right

One thing I really like is the higher ball flight compared to my ZX7's I had. I measured off every approach shot I hit today to see if I would need to adjust to a spinier ball or not. I was using a Q-Star Tour today and the shortest from the ball mark spun back 2 feet and the longest rolled out 13 feet. So with this I am quite happy.
Feel is definitely different than the ZX7's, but not in a way that would turn you off. They obviously don't have the super soft feel like the 7's but they where not harsh feeling either. Just nice medium sounding click. I need to test this with some different balls. I did hit a Truvis ball today a couple times and you could hear the difference in sound and to me it was softer sounding.
I am so happy that I put the Recoil 95 F4 shaft into these irons. I could tell the difference from the Modus 120S I was playing but the Recoil was giving good feedback. On a second ball shot twice I purposely tinned it and you didn't get that sensation in your had on a cold day like you do with steel, so that was welcomed.

One thing that stood out was the thicker sole and was welcome on the dormant zoysia, prevented a couple shots that could have been quite a bit heavier with a thinner soled iron.

Can't wait to get these into some warmer temps and get some distances really dialed in.
These should help my iron game considerably next year and will definitely have me taking less club into a lot of greens.

Okay so had the maiden voyage today with the Hot Metal Pros. I was very impressed with the results considering the temp was 48° with the windchill at 38°.
First approach was from 163 and I grabbed 7 iron and came up about 5 yards short of the pin and a bit left. (would have been 5i with old clubs)
3rd hole par 3, 143. 8 iron pin high (would have been 7 iron for sure with old clubs)
4th hole I pulled drive and was 173 out with a crosswind blowing my left to right. This is where I dropped 2 balls and decide to see what was what with these irons.
1t shot I grab the 6 iron and hit a draw into the wind that ended up about 40 feet left on the green but pin high. :oops:
2nd shot I grab 5 iron and while not near as good if strike i was dead at the pin 8 feet short. I think I swung to easy but it worked out.
5th hole quartering into the wind from 130 and hit a nice 8 iron about 10 feet short of the pin and about 15 feet right.
8th hole is 173 yard par 3 I grabbed the 6 iron and was 6 feet short about 6 feet right

One thing I really like is the higher ball flight compared to my ZX7's I had. I measured off every approach shot I hit today to see if I would need to adjust to a spinier ball or not. I was using a Q-Star Tour today and the shortest from the ball mark spun back 2 feet and the longest rolled out 13 feet. So with this I am quite happy.
Feel is definitely different than the ZX7's, but not in a way that would turn you off. They obviously don't have the super soft feel like the 7's but they where not harsh feeling either. Just nice medium sounding click. I need to test this with some different balls. I did hit a Truvis ball today a couple times and you could hear the difference in sound and to me it was softer sounding.
I am so happy that I put the Recoil 95 F4 shaft into these irons. I could tell the difference from the Modus 120S I was playing but the Recoil was giving good feedback. On a second ball shot twice I purposely tinned it and you didn't get that sensation in your had on a cold day like you do with steel, so that was welcomed.

One thing that stood out was the thicker sole and was welcome on the dormant zoysia, prevented a couple shots that could have been quite a bit heavier with a thinner soled iron.

Can't wait to get these into some warmer temps and get some distances really dialed in.
These should help my iron game considerably next year and will definitely have me taking less club into a lot of greens.

In my experience, Recoils do well with Mizuno Irons. Should have put them in my HMBs. Was sacrificing almost a full club with the Accra. 155 v 148 in my old 7i swing.

MP22 will hopefully have the Recoil 95.

Great first day with the new irons! Good to see you back in recoils.

In my experience, Recoils do well with Mizuno Irons. Should have put them in my HMBs. Was sacrificing almost a full club with the Accra. 155 v 148 in my old 7i swing.

MP22 will hopefully have the Recoil 95.
That’s really interesting. I’m having the opposite, Accra is longer, with another OEM.

Great first day with the new irons! Good to see you back in recoils.
That feel was amazing and my elbow thanked me. Was a good year with the Modus 120 but I will never go back to steel again, I could really feel it towards the end of the season.

That feel was amazing and my elbow thanked me. Was a good year with the Modus 120 but I will never go back to steel again, I could really feel it towards the end of the season.
I’ve got the Modus 120 in my Forged and they are great but after certain rounds I feel it more compared to when I play the different set with graphite. I’m pretty sure I’ll never go back to steel.

That’s really interesting. I’m having the opposite, Accra is longer, with another OEM.

The Accra has superior feel (smooth and lively), which is the reason I did not get Recoils in the HMB. But I had the HMP and demoed the 921F and HMB, but he did not have the Accra CW95 on hand, although the Recoils really jumped up the energy level - Recoil 95 F3. But I didn't get the lively, smooth feel I want. The MMT 85g shaft is like the best of both worlds for me. I need to put one in a Mizuno. But the Recoils may be the most reliable as well as ability to transfer energy.

Back