Just got my data. So, I was wrong about the data. Actually I hit the 921 Forged further than my Cobra Forged TECs.

I hit the FTs first so I was a little more stiff and my swing was way more out to in then typical, so maybe more of a fade could account for it. And there were a couple of bad shots that were left in for the FTs, so the average was probably a little higher (you know, they have to make their sales pitch). But I actually swung faster with the FTs, and you can see the smash factor was higher with the 921s. And my dispersion was pretty tight with the 921s.

Spin was 5350 for the 921s and 5560 for the FTs.

So pretty similar performance distance wise for the two clubs and maybe a slight edge to the 921s for distance. Regardless, they have a pretty fast face for a non hollow body.
This is why I decided to get them.
1600870923032.png

^^^ Nice

I really like the 921 HMP but found my TM SIM's longer, straighter and felt softer. Am I alone here?

I really like the 921 HMP but found my TM SIM's longer, straighter and felt softer. Am I alone here?

I think a lot depends on the fitting... Gosh, been watching too many TXG Vids the last 6 months.

Just got my data. So, I was wrong about the data. Actually I hit the 921 Forged further than my Cobra Forged TECs.

I hit the FTs first so I was a little more stiff and my swing was way more out to in then typical, so maybe more of a fade could account for it. And there were a couple of bad shots that were left in for the FTs, so the average was probably a little higher (you know, they have to make their sales pitch). But I actually swung faster with the FTs, and you can see the smash factor was higher with the 921s. And my dispersion was pretty tight with the 921s.

Spin was 5350 for the 921s and 5560 for the FTs.

So pretty similar performance distance wise for the two clubs and maybe a slight edge to the 921s for distance. Regardless, they have a pretty fast face for a non hollow body.
This is why I decided to get them.
View attachment 8964924

very surprised (and a bit concerned) to see spin with 921f LESS than ckft. i did not expect that at all.

very surprised (and a bit concerned) to see spin with 921f LESS than ckft. i did not expect that at all.

Agree. When I saw that I was concerned. However, what my data doesn't show is the descent angle. I don't know where to find that on Trackman Data but I can show you the trajectories. Blue is JPX 921 Forged, Red is Cobra FTs

I took the bad shots out of the Cobra Data.
1600980061295.png

JPX were on average higher, and landed steeper, so the difference between carry and total distance (roll out yardage) for both Mizuno and Cobra irons was exactly the same: 8.3 yards (taking out the bad Cobra shots).

So I think they pretty similar.

Interestingly Golf Monthly UK found the Forged to be the lowest spinning of all the 921s.

But I liked the feel better so got myself a set of the forged.

Shaft can bring up spin ... fitting. Mizuno just doesn't have enough graphite shafts for me. October 6 - fitting - Saugus MA - be there. lol

Hit the JPX921 Tour and Forged 7i today, second session with them. Tour again gave me the best dispersion, spin, and flight. I also enjoyed the forged more than I did the first time I hit it. The feel is good and boom goes the ball. I prefer both to the p770, a club I do like. No chance to hit P7MC. If I were buying today, I think I would go PW-7 in Tour and 6-4 in Forged. Mizuno has a sheet with recommendations for how to figure combo sets. Late in the season and with other clubs on the horizon, I don't feel motivation to buy anytime soon.

Total aside, but I can only hit 7i's so many times. I ended by dialing in distances with my new zipcore 54. Love GCQuad for things like that.

I can also relate to @Desmond 's comment about the lack of graphite shaft options. I would likely go with a set of recoil 110s but they aren't a Mizuno option. That's no fun.

Any of the HMP guys play the Titleist T200s? Just looking for some info on the differences. Seems like they have a decent amount in common.

Hit the JPX921 Tour and Forged 7i today, second session with them. Tour again gave me the best dispersion, spin, and flight. I also enjoyed the forged more than I did the first time I hit it. The feel is good and boom goes the ball. I prefer both to the p770, a club I do like. No chance to hit P7MC. If I were buying today, I think I would go PW-7 in Tour and 6-4 in Forged. Mizuno has a sheet with recommendations for how to figure combo sets. Late in the season and with other clubs on the horizon, I don't feel motivation to buy anytime soon.

Total aside, but I can only hit 7i's so many times. I ended by dialing in distances with my new zipcore 54. Love GCQuad for things like that.

I can also relate to @Desmond 's comment about the lack of graphite shaft options. I would likely go with a set of recoil 110s but they aren't a Mizuno option. That's no fun.

Yes, that's why I'm going to a guy who has one of those special accounts with Mizuno, and I can choose among a plethora of shafts, even though I will first try Accra Constant Weight 85. I had Mitsu OT 75 and they were solid but not lively. I seem to like lively. Knowing Frank, I'll end up bringing home Callaways ... lol. "See Jerry, Look at the numbers." But Frank, let's try the HMP's at least."

Yes, that's why I'm going to a guy who has one of those special accounts with Mizuno, and I can choose among a plethora of shafts, even though I will first try Accra Constant Weight 85. I had Mitsu OT 75 and they were solid but not lively. I seem to like lively. Knowing Frank, I'll end up bringing home Callaways ... lol. "See Jerry, Look at the numbers." But Frank, let's try the HMP's at least."

Is that Frank Viola? Bought some things from him many years ago - gem of a guy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Id love to hear some details on the flight differences between Tour & Forged.

I hit both of those irons on SIM and left pretty impressed. The consistency of the Tour was eye opening. They were also easier to hit than I expected.

Curious how different they were for you.

I'm scared of the Tours. Wish I could hit like you guys.

Id love to hear some details on the flight differences between Tour & Forged.

I hit both of those irons on SIM and left pretty impressed. The consistency of the Tour was eye opening. They were also easier to hit than I expected.

Curious how different they were for you.

Distance and left-right dispersion was better with the tour. Like @dacatalyst41 the consistency in shots with the Tour was the biggest appeal. Twice now I was blown away by how many balls I hit on GCQuad that landed within a yard or two of the center line with very consistent distance. It is addictive. In terms of flight, Tour gained height faster and then retained it. Forged was more of a gradual climber. I think the Tour was a touch higher overall at peak. Using Bridgestone Tour B RX, consistently close to 6K spin with Tour and ~5K spin with forged. I did have strikes on the Forged with lower spin, 4 - 4.5K range. I feel like the more I swing the forged, the more consistent I get. Tour was pretty much the same outcome from swing 1-20+. Everything about hitting these says combo to me. Keep the consistency in the shorter irons and add in a little forgiveness and punch in the longer irons. For what I was thinking, I believe the Mizuno chart would leave PW as is, strengthen the Tour 9-7 1 deg, and weaken the 6-4 forged 1 deg.

I'm scared of the Tours. Wish I could hit like you guys.

You’d be surprised. I’m not nearly as good as one would think you’d have to be to get good contact and results out of those. Especially in the shorter irons.

I too want graphite or at least Steelfibers. Love my Steelfibers now in my 0311 Gen 1.

I play the 95i Steelfibers. My issue is spin. I spin mine now plenty but the only time in the bay with the 921F was with the Steelfibers 95 and spin was in high 4000/low 5000. Didn't want that in my 7i. I'd likely have to go to a club champion to get enough graphite shaft options to ramp up that spin.

Also, anyone hit the 921F 4i yet? How is it. The lack of offset is appealing but don't know if it's "very" playable or is it one where you're better off putting a HMP 4i in the bag?

You’d be surprised. I’m not nearly as good as one would think you’d have to be to get good contact and results out of those. Especially in the shorter irons.
Maybe I should have got a combo. I do hit my specialty wedges pretty well. But I think the full set of forged will be good for me.

Maybe I should have got a combo. I do hit my specialty wedges pretty well. But I think the full set of forged will be good for me.

Forged will be very consistent and a lot of fun as well.

Is that Frank Viola? Bought some things from him many years ago - gem of a guy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it is that Frank. He completely changed his physique. Works out all the time. Good guy. You can go back and forth with him. He is opinionated, which I like.

Also, anyone hit the 921F 4i yet? How is it. The lack of offset is appealing but don't know if it's "very" playable or is it one where you're better off putting a HMP 4i in the bag?
It’s playable if you can launch it high enough.

Back