Mizuno JPX919 Irons

How much more demanding are the Tour? The fitter mentioned trying a more compact iron due to less offset and more spin which I may need because I tend to deloft the club.

They probably not that much more demanding, however, there won't be near as much forgivness on bad strikes. If you are pretty consistent on the middle of the face then shouldn't be an issue.

How much more demanding are the Tour? The fitter mentioned trying a more compact iron due to less offset and more spin which I may need because I tend to deloft the club.

Tours are for below scratch to low cappers. But through the years, I've seen posts by mid cappers who say semi-blades work well for them.

My rule of thumb is play the irons that will perform for you on a bad day, not solely on your best day.

The 919T are more forgiving than 900T - but not that much more forgiving. They'll help on toe hits.

More compact irons that are easier? Depends on what more compact means and why - more compact irons are more playable but at what cost? It's always a balance.

Try the '19 Apex or Apex Pro - forgiveness but not long heel to toe.

Ok thank you. I felt like the 919 Forged and I210's weren't any more forgiving than my DBM's and certainly spin less.

Ok thank you. I felt like the 919 Forged and I210's weren't any more forgiving than my DBM's and certainly spin less.

You can increase spin on the 919F by going a loft weaker and a more spinny shaft that still controls ball flight. I would not adjust the i210 for loft - not a distance iron. But a nice iron. They were tempting.

Though I would let you guys ponder this, both Mizunos. Then I will have some thoughts from today’s round
0a6d50b62fb6554b95f58b6dd5fd47c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the picture I posted above is an MP-15 on the left and 919 HM on the right. I had a friend playing the MP-15 ( I gamed them for a year). The MP-15 just looks so good and feels amazing.

Okay enough banter out those. The course we played today was very wet and in places still frozen. With the wider sole of the HM i had no issues in the wet turf at all. Couple times it felt like it might have slowed my club head a bit and caused me to come up short but I was more concerned how it got thru and it did it well.
With the higher winds today I was working I trying to hit some lower liners so the wind wouldn't knock the shots down as much. Worked a couple times others not so much.
Overall pretty happy with the performance so far.

I’m in line to try HM Pro.

Had a good day with the irons. Was pretty windy but was able to play some knockdown shots when needed. No issues holding greens today. The big thing for me was the course was very damp and didn't have any issues with the club getting hung up in the muck.

@rambler has some solid thoughts on the HM pros

i hit the forged in a fitting today against my kftb, p790, cf19 pro and cf19 forged. these were the bottom of the list in feel. but flight was very nice and dispersion was good. i just couldn’t get past how bad they felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@rambler has some solid thoughts on the HM pros

MSH134 and I were just kind of looking around when I saw these on the rack. After he left, I hit these as well as the new Apex. Love the looks of both, but my overall dispersion, even with the very iffy winter swing, was much better with the HM Pro. Spin seemed to be more consistent in the mid 6s with a 7 iron on the HM Pro. The sound/feel was also pretty nice. I was thinking I would start the season with the i210s still firmly entrenched in the bag, but I'm strongly pondering these, now.

MSH134 and I were just kind of looking around when I saw these on the rack. After he left, I hit these as well as the new Apex. Love the looks of both, but my overall dispersion, even with the very iffy winter swing, was much better with the HM Pro. Spin seemed to be more consistent in the mid 6s with a 7 iron on the HM Pro. The sound/feel was also pretty nice. I was thinking I would start the season with the i210s still firmly entrenched in the bag, but I'm strongly pondering these, now.
You hit the non hot metal stuff? Guess main differences are feel?

You hit the non hot metal stuff? Guess main differences are feel?

I hit the 919 Forged last year, so don't remember much about it. Bigger difference in sound/feel when you get to something like the 919 Tour, at least from the 919 family.

Cant' wait to check out the 919 hot metal 6-LW set this week!

Also turns-out that the guy at the SS got his hand slapped for having the Pros on the display rack a bit too early, so yesterday they were being kept out of sight... Since I was going to pre-order, he got the 4, 7, and PW for me to look at, again, but said he couldn’t let me hit them... I thought it best to not tell him I had hit them the week before. LOL. In any case, I’m looking forward to giving these a go. I like the slightly “larger” players-type irons (ala hot metal pros, i210s, Apex, C300Forged, etc.). I have pretty high expectations for these, so will see if/how they deliver.

I ordered a 5-PW set of 919F yesterday at a golf expo and just had them hold off on placing the order. I'd like to try more swings with the shaft the DNA suggested. It's at the complete end of the spectrum to what I was seeing at the shop. DNA said X100 soft stepped and I was being told to go lighter and less stout. I'm as confused as ever...maybe I am over thinking it.

i hit the forged in a fitting today against my kftb, p790, cf19 pro and cf19 forged. these were the bottom of the list in feel. but flight was very nice and dispersion was good. i just couldn’t get past how bad they felt.

I use graphite and that helps with feel. I found out that the more I hit them, the more I liked the feel.

I mean, they only put a miniscule amount of boron in the irons for longer lasting grooves and less dings. Maybe I am getting less sensitive. And then I had Will Peoples put the Accra 80i shaft in my set, and feel was better - a little more swingweight and a shaft with a bit more "feel." Helps.

Last edited:
Curiously at our local PGASS the Hot Metal Pros are for sale, but not in the fitting rack.

I must say that the HMP's look very nice and with the black lettering and bird logo, different from any of the others in the 919 line.

I think I'll stick with my 919 Forged 5 iron and I really like it so far in the bay, but it's nice to know that there are 2 other options (HM and HMP) for something with more forgiveness and ball speed.

At this point in the post I should acknowledge the obvious that I'm the proud owner of a used set of 919 Forged irons 4-G with the KBS tour shafts

Last edited:
Also turns-out that the guy at the SS got his hand slapped for having the Pros on the display rack a bit too early, so yesterday they were being kept out of sight... Since I was going to pre-order, he got the 4, 7, and PW for me to look at, again, but said he couldn’t let me hit them... I thought it best to not tell him I had hit them the week before. LOL. In any case, I’m looking forward to giving these a go. I like the slightly “larger” players-type irons (ala hot metal pros, i210s, Apex, C300Forged, etc.). I have pretty high expectations for these, so will see if/how they deliver.

dang you rambler, Im about to pull the trigger on some 585s or a combo set 585/785 but these are so enticing.

My set of 919F arrived last week. 5-PW with Nippon 105S shafts. I have only had one simulator session with them (live in MN) and they feel great! I have a trip coming up next week where I can get them out in the wild for a couple of rounds.

Was able to get out for 18 today. I have settled into my Hot Metal irons pretty well, pretty confident in the distances as far as consistency goes and have to club up or down depending on wind. Plenty of stopping power into greens.

Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Getting them out Monday. Fresh SM7s as well!

91197fa813347564636d1584a07e5b8b.jpg

Last edited:
Still not seeing much about the 919 HM Pros, very interesting in these above most irons this year.

Went for an iron fitting yesterday and was able to try the 919 line. Ended-up that the new Hot Metal Pros were the winner! Great irons! Distance was there, feel/sound, but most importantly, DISPERSION was the best I saw all day. Modus 120 X shafts and the HMP heads are money!!! Not much offset, top line was nice, and the blade length was just right, so at address these look really good! 30* 7 iron going 200 yards is insane!

Back