Mizuno Pro 221, 223, 225 and Fli-Hi Irons

Have had several range sessions with the 225s and man, these things launch. Took a little time to adjust from my old clubs (bought them 13 years ago without a fitting and got 65g graphite shafts 😆) but loving the 225s so far. Hoping to get them out for a round next weekend to see them in real action.

the 225s just took the top Most Wanted Players Distance Iron over at mygolfspy...

We don't really talk about MGS, but that's nice.;)

But next round, I will take out my 225 5-7i and see how they compare with 223. On Trackman, the 223 is the better iron for me because it gets spin and the 225 is very low in spin (not even 5800 in 7i) but it got up high and descended at a 47-49 angle.

Really good range session today with the 225s. Have 2 rounds in the next 3 days and pumped to get them back in action.

Good round with the 225s. They have become the strength in my game. I struggled the first couple rounds with the gap wedge, but had 3 shots with it today and they were all pretty good, so that's a promising sign. The 5 iron (my longest iron) is just a joy a to hit. Final hole of the day today was a 195 yard par 3 and hit a smooth one that landed and stopped immediately to about 6 feet.

Good round with the 225s. They have become the strength in my game. I struggled the first couple rounds with the gap wedge, but had 3 shots with it today and they were all pretty good, so that's a promising sign. The 5 iron (my longest iron) is just a joy a to hit. Final hole of the day today was a 195 yard par 3 and hit a smooth one that landed and stopped immediately to about 6 feet.

We need a new name for the gap wedge... it seems demeaning.:oops:

PW2?:LOL:

I don't know.

We need a new name for the gap wedge... it seems demeaning.:oops:

PW2?:LOL:

I don't know.

I have seen it referred to as an Attack (A) wedge! I like that reference.

I loved getting a chance to use my 223s a bit today! So easy to get in the air and get moving. They're like eagle chasers and gave me a look right off the bat on 2.

Some good ones on the day, but wanted to hit them a little more to compare the sound and feels against another CB I had in the bag, so I hit the range. The sound of them comes through well in this one I think, but I honestly just really want to share it so @McLovin sees the guy in the background with the wrist set. 😆

I thought of him like 10 times while this guy kept getting in the background of the shots. And I find it kind of fascinating how different our swings are, and how different they look. Besides the fact that he actually finishes his, (you're welcome McLovin), I look lopey, and he looks really quick, and I think most would think we're different speeds than we actually are. Or at least closer than we actually are.

221s were typically phenomenal, except for the 165y PW uphill, into the wind, and into the woods... First flier of the year!! :p

I loved getting a chance to use my 223s a bit today! So easy to get in the air and get moving. They're like eagle chasers and gave me a look right off the bat on 2.

Some good ones on the day, but wanted to hit them a little more to compare the sound and feels against another CB I had in the bag, so I hit the range. The sound of them comes through well in this one I think, but I honestly just really want to share it so @McLovin sees the guy in the background with the wrist set. 😆

I thought of him like 10 times while this guy kept getting in the background of the shots. And I find it kind of fascinating how different our swings are, and how different they look. Besides the fact that he actually finishes his, (you're welcome McLovin), I look lopey, and he looks really quick, and I think most would think we're different speeds than we actually are. Or at least closer than we actually are.

221s were typically phenomenal, except for the 165y PW uphill, into the wind, and into the woods... First flier of the year!! :p

Good video .. and the dude in the background has a "waist" set. lol

Hit the most impressive shot yet with the 223s. 165 to a pin. Ball above the feet in the rough so I had to choke down quite a bit. Hit an 8i hoping to be below the hole. Ended up clipping a tree and the ball still flew hole high. Still in awe of the distances I’m getting with these. Also here’s a pic of the short game area at the course I played. The 3rd green isn’t pictured.

EC5D9D14-0685-4A44-A442-44946321B480.jpeg

Good video .. and the dude in the background has a "waist" set. lol
I need to introduce myself if I see him again. Get a peek in his bag. They looked bladey.

Another round with the 225s and really getting settled in with them. Huge huge fan. It’s the rest of my game that has been stinking to high heavens.

My home club is not a fit for my game at all but has me always determined to conquer it. Super narrow tree-lined course with tiny greens. About 6 holes that are either a dog leg right or a straight hole where you’re dead left so it doesn’t set up well for my draw off the tee.

BUT the club tinkerer that I am…it has me here asking about the FliHi. I’ve seen some rave reviews in here already so I wonder if it could be a perfect 250 yard club off the tee for me. The 225 4 iron is about a 225 yard club off the tee which is solid but a mis-hit puts me much shorter than I’d wanna be off the tee.

What kind of shafts do you all have in your FliHi out of curiosity?

Finally got my first round with the 225s today and all I can say is wow. Might be a coincidence, but also shot my best round today by 5 strokes and I’m chalking up to the clubs!

I got to hit every club in the round today from 4-GW and the ball is so easy to get up in the air and just goes forever. Forgiving on some mishits and held the greens well. Excited to get in many more rounds with these.

Finally got my first round with the 225s today and all I can say is wow. Might be a coincidence, but also shot my best round today by 5 strokes and I’m chalking up to the clubs!

I got to hit every club in the round today from 4-GW and the ball is so easy to get up in the air and just goes forever. Forgiving on some mishits and held the greens well. Excited to get in many more rounds with these.
How do you like the 8 and 9 iron? I’m contemplating if I should get the 221s instead of the whole set of 225, thank you

How are everyone's wearing? I know everyone doesn't play as much as I do, but some of you are range rats.

20220606_015516.jpg

Cleaning them up for tomorrow and looks like the 6 is still showing the most sole and face wear. More than the wedge which is interesting. Velocity maybe, and that I use the 6 for a lot of tough work from crap positions probably. It's kind of odd my get out of jail club.

20220606_020429.jpg20220606_020356.jpg

My wedge has picked up an odd amount of tiny pings and pitting though. Only club like that. Haven't quite figured that one out.

Last edited:
Head to head battle for the 223's vs zx7's is over....223 won by a mile!

Finally got the LAGP L-series installed in the 223's and theyre automatic. First round and first time swinging the new 223 setup and shot 74 with 3 penalties. There is so much ball speed in the 223 without being too low spin. They're definitely lower spin the New Level blades I played last year but nothing extreme. Ball speed is about 3mph faster

How are everyone's wearing? I know everyone doesn't play as much as I do, but some of you are range rats.

View attachment 9094195

Cleaning them up for tomorrow and looks like the 6 is still showing the most sole and face wear. More than the wedge which is interesting. Velocity maybe, and that I use the 6 for a lot of tough work from crap positions probably. It's kind of odd my get out of jail club.

View attachment 9094197View attachment 9094198

My wedge has picked up an odd amount of tiny pings and pitting though. Only club like that. Haven't quite figured that one out.

I've had mine for about a month and have played about 15 rounds with them. They are getting quite a bit of bag chatter but nothing too bad or excessive. I expected them to be about this bad. I do walk and carry most of my rounds and I don't know if that helps or hurts with bag chatter. They still chatter while I'm walking, but it's at a much lower impact speed than if I were in a cart.

I have an odd 'ding' in the hosel of my 7 iron that is too far up to be from impact with the ground. That is the only club that has any kind of a mark like that. Even that's not too noticeable at address and I've stopped fretting over it.

I will say, the irons are awesome. I have absolutely no business playing the 221s but I love hitting these things. I lost distance from my last set, but it's only about 1 club and when I compare lofts, I should have lost that much. My left to right dispersion issues (normally a pretty big drawer of the ball) are nearly gone except if I pull one. My GIRs are getting a lot better now that I'm used to the distances and the feel is so much better.

What else can I say...I'm smitten

My journey with the 223s hasn’t been all sunshine and rainbows. I think I attribute most of my challenges to a new shaft choice (Std PX 6.0). Been struggling a bit to find the right timing with them. The feel of the 223/PX combo was good but not great and it really was driving me a bit crazy. Decided to take all the clubs one degree weak in loft and it seems to have helped a bit. More testing to do, but almost ready to leave them as is after threatening to reshaft them or swap them for some King Tours. The grind continues!

How do you like the 8 and 9 iron? I’m contemplating if I should get the 221s instead of the whole set of 225, thank you

I never even tried to hit the 221s so dont have anything to compare. I dont work the ball too much when I'm playing and need the added forgiveness in the 225s so the 8 and 9 in are great for me.

View attachment 9094195

The back of the club head of my 223s still look almost brand new after having them for 3-4. A little bit of bag chatter towards the soles but I could probably count the dings on one hand. The faces definitely have some wear marks on them but I’ve also been hitting them a lot at the range

View attachment 9094195

Over the years, my Mizuno iron sets have always shown wear and bag chatter more quickly than any other brand, which I've always chalked up to their softer, butter-feeling forgings.

Over the years, my Mizuno iron sets have always shown wear and bag chatter more quickly than any other brand, which I've always chalked up to their softer, butter-feeling forgings.
I feel like they're doing really good. With how soft they feel expect pretty easy dings and I think they've exceeded there. I'm genuinely a little puzzled by the wedge though. It has a corner spot. It's kind of all on its own over there. :unsure: I was jumping up and down with the bag last night much to the delight of the wife, trying to figure it out, and I got nothing. Lol

I feel like they're doing really good. With how soft they feel expect pretty easy dings and I think they've exceeded there. I'm genuinely a little puzzled by the wedge though. It has a corner spot. It's kind of all on its own over there. :unsure: I was jumping up and down with the bag last night much to the delight of the wife, trying to figure it out, and I got nothing. Lol
Maybe how it rides in your car/truck? Is it against the floor, etc.? Just spitballin' ...

Another round with the 225s and really getting settled in with them. Huge huge fan. It’s the rest of my game that has been stinking to high heavens.

My home club is not a fit for my game at all but has me always determined to conquer it. Super narrow tree-lined course with tiny greens. About 6 holes that are either a dog leg right or a straight hole where you’re dead left so it doesn’t set up well for my draw off the tee.

BUT the club tinkerer that I am…it has me here asking about the FliHi. I’ve seen some rave reviews in here already so I wonder if it could be a perfect 250 yard club off the tee for me. The 225 4 iron is about a 225 yard club off the tee which is solid but a mis-hit puts me much shorter than I’d wanna be off the tee.

What kind of shafts do you all have in your FliHi out of curiosity?

Fli-Hi's deserve all the rave reviews they are getting here. They are so easy to hit and consistent.
You should definitely give them a go.
I have the stock RDX Smoke Black in my 3i and they work very well for me.

Back