Mizuno ST-X 230 and ST-Z 230 Drivers

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
When it comes to metalwoods, Mizuno Golf has been on a four year journey which began with the company’s realization that in order to truly stand toe-to-toe with the segment leaders they needed one thing first and foremost, Speed.

That is where “Speed Technology” began, hence the ST moniker which has been attached to each and every release since the ST-190 in 2019. Just how far has the brand come since then? If you have hit the last two releases, then you know it is leaps and bounds as opposed to incremental gains as the company is demanding attention now, both among amateurs and Tour players.

According to Mizuno Golf, however, we haven’t seen anything like the new ST-230’s.

Continue reading...

I expect big things out of this driver. Mizuno really has brought it hard the last few years and this year will be no different. Wonder if I could smuggle one of these in an upcoming box without the wife seeing it?

The tech presentation we had with Vosh on these drivers was really compelling, specifically how they optimized ball conditions and feel with the Cortech chamber.

I’m surprised the price is what it is with as much tech they are packing into it. Will be curious to follow early thoughts on it. Great looking clubhead, nice job Mizuno

Improving on the ST-z 220 is impressive. That driver has served me well and is as long as any other OEM out there. The updates to this release really have me interested.

I love the shape and colors also. At address they offer a ton of confidence.

X head will be the sleeper. Especially if you like to shape shots with driver.

I remember seeing a video months ago with the good good guys (former) where they gained +5 ball speed in direct comparison to the 220 with all of the other swing metrics being the same.

I gamed the STZ last season and besides a mismatched shaft it was speed that I always felt was lacking. I’m really interested in trying this new one with the shaft I’ve found that works best for me.

It will be interesting to see how it performs at the same price point as the rest of the ‘23 field. I think in the past their price point got them more eyeballs than they would have had otherwise.

Lin-Q Red is a shaft option, huh?? 🤔
I really wasn’t supposed to be pondering a new driver….

Last edited:
It’s finally here- everything that I’ve seen, and now this article confirms that I really want to hit this one. The suspended weight is kind of trippy to think about. I mentioned in another thread the sound in the videos they’ve posted on social sounds amazing.

Great write up @Jman

Great write up @Jman
Very interesting indeed
No movable weights correct?

These are nice looking drivers, CORTECH sounds interesting, might need to check out the PLTNM.

They look really good. Haven't tried a mizuno wood but that may have to change. And as @jlew2144 said the weight sounds really interesting.

Second, while the TPU not only has a dampening effect for sound (feel) and absorbing stress from the clubface, with the suspended weight it also serves as an additional source of energy.

This line in James article jumps out to me. One of the issues I had with the previous two models was stability. It wasn’t great in STZ, got slightly better in 220, and now it sounds like it was a focus and CORTECH specifically addresses.

Had the original ST-X, and moved to the ST-X 220 when it went on sale last year. It was actually better, which was no easy task, as the original was just so good. With so many manufacturers churning out the same products with cosmetic changes every year, Mizuno stands out by comparison. Hopefully, the sound will be at least the same, or maybe improved on as well.

The good thing from a consumer point of view is, Mizuno is still considered primarily for their irons, hence their drivers/fairways seem start at a better price point, and get discounted at a faster rate. Looking forward to this new line.

Great review! I have played Mizuno drivers in the past and they have been good to me. The tech here is interesting and will definitely compare to the previous version in my testing. Either way, if Mizuno performance is close to the larger brands the price point makes these more attractive.

That weight tech is interesting. And they keep finding those speed jumps year on year watch out….

I must be turning into a Mizuno homer because I'm excited to test drive this one against the rest of the new releases. The $500 price point is a welcome surprise too.

I remember seeing a video months ago with the good good guys (former) where they gained +5 ball speed in direct comparison to the 220 with all of the other swing metrics being the same.

I gamed the STZ last season and besides a mismatched shaft it was speed that I always felt was lacking. I’m really interested in trying this new one with the shaft I’ve found that works best for me.

It will be interesting to see how it performs at the same price point as the rest of the ‘23 field. I think in the past their price point got them more eyeballs than they would have had otherwise.

Lin-Q Red is a shaft option, huh?? 🤔
I really wasn’t supposed to be pondering a new driver….
It’s not at the same price point as the rest of the field though?

It’s not at the same price point as the rest of the field though?
Agreed. It’s a dozen balls or almost a new wedge cheaper depending what model you put it up against

Nice job Jman. Looking forward to seeing these tested

I will be trying the new STZ. My version is now two generations old and based on this article and the videos I’ve seen from Mizuno, this could be a winner.

Great write-up @Jman. As someone who's had varying success with the original ST-Z this is very interesting to me. I can make any driver look bad, but there were times I know the ST-Z made me look better than I deserved. From the reviews, the 220 was a step-up, and it sounds like the 230 is an even bigger step up. I can say unequivocally that when I get some swings in with the new drivers this one will be in my A group.

Is this going to compete speed wise with the Paradym driver? That one the talk is about it being 1+ MPH faster - with the movement here will we be seeing the same thing do you think? Just the weight port with no moveable weight? Does that help or hurt the sales when other companies are giving you those sliders?

It looks great, very interesting to read about.

Love the looks of the past few Mizuno drivers and these appear to keep that very pleasing look at address going. Speed up and spin down sounds like a winning combination to me. The Z sounds like it would be my best bet of the three. Very good stock shaft selection and love that they kept the price point of the two base models under $500.

Back